They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Evaluating Phantom Drive 1

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:24 pm

After creating a System Restore point AND making a new mirror image of my C Drive with Acronis True Image Home, I downloaded Phantom Drive 1.

My purpose in doing so was to ascertain whether the software could somehow be used with PRE7 to create a Blu-ray DVD folder. (PRE7 does not offer the option of burning a Blu-ray disc to folder.)

While reading through the software documentation’s example for creating an audio CD, I came across the following statement:

If you are satisfied with the results, you can repeat the burning process with a physical disc recorder, or save the virtual audio CD to use later. If the result is not what you wanted, go back to the beginning and compose your list of tracks to burn.

The chief purpose of Phantom Drive 1, in other words, is to give one the option of viewing one’s work on a virtual disc as opposed to an actual disc, thereby saving on “coasters,” that is, discs that one discards because they have errors. But I wanted to determine whether I could do more with this burner than merely save the cost of blank media.

Procedure:

1) Using PRE7, I created a 5-second movie consisting of a single HD still photo (2288x1520).

2) Using Phantom Starter, I created a blank DVD-R virtual disc and loaded it into Phantom Drive 1

3) I selected the Phantom Drive as the Burner Location in PRE7 then burned the Phantom virtual disc

4) I opened the CyberLink software that came with my LG DVD burner, and I attempted to create a Disk Image from the virtual disc. This operation was successful.

5) Using CyberLink, I attempted to burn an actual SD DVD from that virtual image. This operation was also successful (the resulting SD DVD played well in Windows Media Viewer).

6) Using Phantom Starter, I created a blank Blu-ray (BD-R) disc and loaded it into Phantom Drive 1, then I attempted to burn using PRE7 a virtual Blu-ray disc. This operation was successful and the resulting hi-def virtual disc played well.

7) I attempted, multiple times, using the CyberLink software, to burn a disc image of the Blu-ray virtual disc, but was unsuccessful.

Conclusions:

1) Given that PRE7 is capable of burning a SD DVD at least as fast as Phantom Drive 1, this software may be of limited value to some users; however, if a particular user is prone to creating lots of coasters, then Phantom 1 would have value in that one could first create a virtual as opposed to an actual physical disc and then, once satisfied with the result, one could proceed to use one’s actual burner to burn an actual SD DVD.
2) Phantom Drive 1 does not provide any workaround for the problem that PRE7 does not offer the option of burning a Blu-ray disc to folder; however, it does offer the useful benefit of allowing one to ascertain that one is satisfied with one’s virtual Blu-ray disc before proceeding to burn an actual physical disc.

Still another possible use for Phantom Drive 1 is to create a virtual SD or Blu-ray DVD, complete with DVD Menu, which one could play from one’s HDD in lieu of creating actual DVDs.

Lastly, one may choose to use the Phantom Drive , in combination with iTunes, as a method of converting mp3 files to WMV files.

Opinion: Phantom Drive 1, at $19.95, offers good value and has potential for a number of uses

Caveat: As RJ Johnston pointed out in a previous discussion of Phantom Drive that is sourced from the link below,* do NOT attempt to use PayPal when ordering; instead, use a credit card.

Here is the link: http://www.phantomdrive.de/en
____
*There are also other vendors for Phantom Drive, however, when I reviewed one of them it seemed that their version did not offer the same wide array of acceptable media, and that is why I downloaded instead from the above source
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Evaluating Phantom Drive 1

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:15 pm

Thanks for the great review, George!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:44 am

So far Bill is the only one that has been willing to try burning a Phantom Blu-ray virtual drive to an actual Blu-ray disc. While the results are disappointing, I can now rest easier knowing the limitations.

It's too bad you can't burn it. At least I can watch a Blu-ray movie on a Phantom virtual drive using WinDVD 9.

What I would like to know is when you tried burning the Blu-ray disc image with Cyberlink, did you get an error message during burning or did you actually burn the Blu-ray disc but it wouldn't play back. You only mention that you weren't successful.

There's another company that has a Blu-ray virtual burner and that is Phantom Burner, as opposed to Phantom Drive, but Phantom Burner doesn't have as many different CD/DVD/HD formats that Phantom Drive has. Have you tried that one?

http://www.phantombility.com/en/prod/phantomburner/
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:47 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:What I would like to know is when you tried burning the Blu-ray disc image with Cyberlink, did you get an error message during burning or did you actually burn the Blu-ray disc but it wouldn't play back. You only mention that you weren't successful.

To be clear, I was able to burn a virtual Blu-ray and play it back, and I do find this useful as it saves burning an actual disc only to then find that it is defective.

However, when I tried burning an image of this disc with CyberLink, all I got was an hour-glass, in other words, a freeze/hang.

RJ Johnston wrote:There's another company that has a Blu-ray virtual burner and that is Phantom Burner, as opposed to Phantom Drive, but Phantom Burner doesn't have as many different CD/DVD/HD formats that Phantom Drive has. Have you tried that one?

http://www.phantombility.com/en/prod/phantomburner/

Yes, that is correct, Phantom Burner does not offer as many choices of media, so I did not download from there. But I am going to recheck that site to see whether their product handles Blu-ray better. Thanks for providing the link.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:11 pm

Thanks again, George, for doing the testing. I was just at OfficeMax and saw the price of Blu-ray burners and discs, and decided that it will be a while before I venture into the physical world of Blu-ray.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:23 pm

Me too Robert... that is why I burn high definition blu-ray files to AVCHD disc format on standard DVDs. 30 minutes on a DVD is mote than enough for me.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:36 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:Thanks again, George, for doing the testing. I was just at OfficeMax and saw the price of Blu-ray burners and discs, and decided that it will be a while before I venture into the physical world of Blu-ray.

You're welcome.

What were the prices at OfficeMax?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:39 pm

Paul LS wrote:...I burn high definition blu-ray files to AVCHD disc format on standard DVDs. 30 minutes on a DVD is mote than enough for me.

Paul, what editing program do you use to share that way?

Can you describe the work flow?

I am very interested in that idea, mainly because there are still no Blu-ray discs with LightScribe.

Do one need a Blu-ray player to see your SD DVD as HiDef on an HDTV?

Thank you.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:52 pm

George, the burners were $299. The discs where in the $15 to $20 range. The manager said that they just started selling blu-ray in the store. I would definitely go for the rewriteable disc.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:26 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:George, the burners were $299. The discs where in the $15 to $20 range. The manager said that they just started selling blu-ray in the store. I would definitely go for the rewriteable disc.

RJ, here's a link to blank Panasonic Blu-ray discs (which are recommended by Canon for the HV30) for $7 each--with inkjet printable surfaces. I've used many and am yet to have a coaster. Each is in its own good-looking and sturdy case.

http://shop3.frys.com/product/5498989?s ... IN_RSLT_PG

And here is the link to the burner that I have, at Newegg for $229. Note that the LG will write Blu-ray and will read BOTH Blu-ray and HD--AND it comes with the multifaceted CyberLink software that I have mentioned in previous posts. This software can do most anything you want to do in HD, including burning your HD tape to Blu-ray disc via your computer without first opening your editing program (but I have not tried this yet).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827136137

:TU:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:55 am

Hi George, I use Corel DVD Moviefactory 6+ to burn AVCHD discs. I export from PE7 as H.264 Bluray format and then DVD Moviefactory will burn the file with smart rendering (so no quality loss) with menus to a standard DVD. Yes, they need to be played backed on a Bluray player or in my case a home theater PC using Cyberlink PowerDVD software. My graphics card has HDMI connector that carries both the video and audio to the HDTV.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:14 pm

Paul LS wrote:Hi George...

Thanks for sharing that information.

With regard to the CyberLink software that you mention, I've discovered that, if I burn a SD DVD to folder from a Hi Def Timeline in PRE7, then burn the SD DVD from folder with CyberLink and my LG burner, I am getting the highest-quality SD DVDs I've ever gotten--and they look very good when played back from an ordinary Toshiba DVD player on a 24-inch HDTV (no "uprezzing"). They also look good when played back from a Blu-ray player onto a 52-inch HDTV (with "uprezzing" by the player).

The "frosting on the cake" with regard to SD DVDs is that they are available with the LightScribe surface, while Blu-ray blanks discs still are not. As a result, I find myself burning very few Blu-ray discs at the present time.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:47 pm

George Tyndall wrote:7) I attempted, multiple times, using the CyberLink software, to burn a disc image of the Blu-ray virtual disc, but was unsuccessful.

I was further experimenting with Phantom Drive 1 today, for the following reason: I wanted to Share my HD MPEG2 Timeline, complete with Disc Menus/Motion Buttons to Blu-ray disc and then make a disc image of that Blu-ray as is my usual custom, however, I was unable to do so as I had run out of blank Blu-ray discs. Here is what I discovered:

1) If I output the virtual disc in Phantom Drive 1's PHI format, it plays well but, as stated above, I am unable to create a disc image from that file*

2) If I instead output the virtual disc in Phantom Drive 1's ISO format, my CyberLink software is unable to play it but IT DOES APPEAR that my CyberLink software would be capable of creating a disc from this ISO file. (I can't do the final test because, as I said, I do not currently have any blank Blu-ray discs.) I will complete this testing next weekend then provide follow up for this exciting additional possibility of using Phantom Drive 1 to BURN A HI DEF TIMELINE TO FOLDER.

:TU:
____
*The comments in the documentation for Phantom Drive 1 notwithstanding, I did NOT find that burning a 1-hour Blu-ray DVD in PHI format to one's HDD is faster than burning directly to a Blu-ray DVD.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to DVD Authoring