They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Thinking of Burning Blu-Ray? Must Read!

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Thinking of Burning Blu-Ray? Must Read!

Postby Bill Hunt » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:04 am

Just found a link to an interesting article on Blu-ray. If you are thinking about writing to Blu-ray, you will likely benefit from reading the entire article. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the article, but it does offer plenty of "food for thought."

http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=16700&hl=

Good reading,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Thinking of Burning Blu-Ray? Must Read!

Postby sidd finch » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:08 am

wow that was a great article. Thanks

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:50 am

Well! Sounds like we are, for the most part, locked out of Blu-ray Disk burning!
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby UKPal » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:12 am

Very interesting. Thanks for posting the link.
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Rockdoc » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:50 am

I'm sorry, I am not sure I am following this... If I invest in the computer for HD and the blu-ray burner, I can't make home movies with motion menus as I can with sd video now? Because of some licensing thing about access to the internet?

I really am not trying to be dense here, but I thought if I bought a blu-ray burner and a decent blu-ray player, I would be watching my kids in HD with menus and other home editing options. This article is saying that isn't true?

Jennifer
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:36 am

I have created multiple Blu Ray discs with menus, there are some funky things that go on with the menus sometimes, but I think that was Encore.
I have not read the article but I can tell you Jennifer that you can edit and burn a project to a blu ray disc that will play on a blu ray player :)
Others here have done the same thing.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:08 pm

Yes, you can make blu-ray discs with menus... but not supporting all the latest "active" menu functions you might see on a commercial blu-ray disc as the blu-ray supported BDMV format does not support these. NOTE... a lot of what he discusses is with reference to replication... so not necessarily relevant to the home producer. The author was obviously a HD-DVD fan and a little peeved at blu-ray winning the HD war but what he says is basically correct. I personally would have much prefered to see HD-DVD win as the spec is more aligned to the home disc maker, whereas the blu-ray spec makers appear to be trying to deter folks from producing home made blu-ray discs.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:12 pm

Bill Hunt wrote:Just found a link to an interesting article on Blu-ray.

Bill, the article states , "You should now be over the fact that whatever disc you make will not play on many players other than the PS3."

That is incorrect.

I have burned many Blu-ray discs with my computer and they ALL play very well on my desktop LG Blu-ray player, which is connected to a 52-inch Samsung monitor. In fact, it is very difficult to see any difference between the original tapes, which were made with a Canon HV30, and the Blu-ray output.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Rockdoc » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:22 pm

Thank you - that is what I needed to hear. I have been shooting with an HV20 for almost a year now, and plan to eventually upgrade the computer to handle HD. I became alarmed from this article that I wouldn't be able to produce HD stuff for family and friends as I have been. Thanks guys. ::C
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:53 pm

FUD

There is nothing like Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt to ruin your day. Thanks for clearing this up.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:44 pm

My thoughts exactly, Ken. It's nice to know that scary geek knowledge doesn't always pan out in the real world.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:53 am

Rockdoc wrote:I'm sorry, I am not sure I am following this... If I invest in the computer for HD and the blu-ray burner, I can't make home movies with motion menus as I can with sd video now?

Ken Jarstad wrote:FUD

There is nothing like Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt to ruin your day.

To finally nail this. I have just recorded a Blu Ray disc on my PC. Then I played it on my Panasonic BD30 (which has the latest firmware) and Samsung 1080p TV. Perfect. No issues at all. ::C

Don't let the naysayers :twisted: confuse you with FUD (as Ken pointed out).

(PS. I always use a re-writable DVD to check that the result is as I intended before I burn the final DVD - no coasters that way and makes testing issues like this easier)
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to DVD Authoring