They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVDs with > 1.5 hours or so..?

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

DVDs with > 1.5 hours or so..?

Postby Briantho » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:29 pm

Is there a way of getting maybe 2 hours, without much degradation of quality, onto a normal DVD?

Perhaps this would involve exporting an AVI with the transitions, effects and sound issues etc all taken care of and then using some other software to address the menu stuff followed by burning to a folder? Afterwards I imagine I'd use ImgBurn or Nero to get it onto a DVD?
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: DVDs with > 1.5 hours or so..?

Postby Bobby » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:41 pm

I don't have a lot of experience in this Brian, but I don't think exporting and using another program is going to make a significant difference. I think 2 hours is certainly possible, depending on the content. I would go for it and see how the resultant video looks. I don't think there is any equation or rule of thumb here - all just in the eye of the beholder.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:57 pm

There is software -- a free download actually -- that compresses DVDs and still maintains surprisingly good quality.
http://www.dvdshrink.org/what_en.php

It also does a lot of cool things (including letting you rip copy protected DVD movies.)

I'm no expert with it, but have a look at some of the documentation for it. If any program will do what you're looking for, it's this one.
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dv ... 1-main.htm
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:46 pm

Ah, thanks for that gentlemen. I must say I had major problems finding the software with your first link Steve as all links kept on coming back to the (apparently) worthless 2008/2009 versions but the Doom9 link pointed at a seemingly OK version. I'll give it a try out on my next project and let you know how I get on. Thanks again! :-D
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:56 pm

You can burn two hours to a DVD and you will probably NOT notice the difference compared to a one hour DVD... try it and tell me if you can tell the diference... :-D I am 99.99999% you will not be able to...
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:03 pm

I have used DVDShrink for that purpose and it does do as claimed. I had forgotten about it because the author went underground a number of years ago under threats from the "suits". The version available (3.2.0.15) has been around for years and never updated. But it should work OK.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Brian, I think the quality of output (DVD) depends a lot upon quality of the source video. I have been making DVDs for our church women's group that run nearly two hours. I shoot on the Canon HV20 and downconvert in the camera. The std-def video looks very good us!
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to DVD Authoring