They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Basic workflow - Encore/PREL/PPRO

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Basic workflow - Encore/PREL/PPRO

Postby Spot » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:35 am

Hi guys,
I have just gotten a couple of hours of standard & super 8mm cine film converted to dv-avi. I now want to make a couple of quick DVD's with a simple menu system (and a play-all option) so my parents can review it all.
The idea being that I will then video them watching the footage, capture it all and then do a documentary style movie cutting in and out of video and narrative.
Anyway I would like some advice on the best way to do this. Should I go direct to Encore with the avi's or put them on a timeline within PPRO or PREL and then import into Encore?
Cheers
JohnB
Woof
Spot

Re: Basic workflow - Encore/PREL/PPRO

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:16 am

Hello JohnB,

It really depends on whether you want to do any additional editing. If not, then after capture, import the AVIs as timelines directly into Encore.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:34 am

I would go directly to Encore with the AVI files if you just want to create a quick DVD with a simple menu.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:50 am

I agree with Chuck. Even for simple Projects, I like the flexibility of Encore, over doing the job in Premiere Pro2 (offered a turn-key DVD solution, rather like PE does).

One thing that you might want to do, when you are doing the new video footage of your parents actually watching the old films (converted), is to shoot some images of the TV set, that they are watching. I'd add a segment of Black Video (on its own Sequence in PPro and on its own Timeline in Encore. Navigate to this, to get a black image on the TV, while you shoot these cut-aways of the set. Then, when you edit your documentary, you can insert footage from the old films, using Track Matte, to get a good, sharp picture "displaying" on the TV screen. This also allows you to drop in any bit of footage from the old films, to match up with any audio of them viewing. For instance, if they are watching and commenting on your 10th birthday, you can use the cut-away of the TV and just drop in some of that particular footage. The image on the TV screen (or appearing to be on the TV screen) will be better than shooting the TV with the DVD material showing. It'll also keep you from having to re-cue the DVD, to get exactly what you want to sync with their conversation - this can be easily done in post.

Maybe do several angles of the TV, say your mother's POV, your father's POV and then some general angles for the cut-aways.

Sounds like a great project - have fun,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Spot » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:26 pm

Thanks gurus! I will now just go straight to Encore. Especially now that I have just spent some time reading about Playlists (which look like a very powerful feature) so that I can do a "play-all".

Bill, thanks heaps for the tips on taking some shots of the TV screen! That's a brilliant idea and I'm already thinking of the possibilities! :TU:

I'm really looking forward to this project as some of the cine is late 1950s & early 1960s vintage. My parents have not seen this for many years and I'm sure the screening will be quite emotional for them. I'm planning to do some video biography type stuff with them also which will fit in with this nicely.

cheers
JohnB
Woof
Spot

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:59 pm

Be sure to catch this write up from Hunt
viewtopic.php?p=31575#p31575

If you think Playlists are cool, just wait until you learn about Chapter Playlists :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to DVD Authoring