They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Encore CS3 menu question

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Encore CS3 menu question

Postby hpharley90 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:10 pm

I just changed a menu in Encore slightly.
In the CS3 library I used Entertainment>Electric menu 4:3.
I edited the menu in Photoshop CS3.
I turned the eye off for everything except the title Electric Playground.
I changed the name from Electric Playground to Halloween.
Then I added the Film video button under the Entertainment set.
Great.

The button is where my question is headed.
I opened the button up in PS CS3. I changed the text "chapter 01" to "play."

I turned the eye off for for the little video screen and I turned the eye off for the red line underneath the word 'play."
I just wanted the word "play" when it was all said and done to start the video.
Great. I did a save as and it looked great in the Encore Menu Design workspace.
When I previewed it in Encore the red line was under the word play. I don't want the red line.
So I opened up the layer panel in Encore in the Menu Design workspace and turned the eye off for the red line there also.
I also duplicated what I had turned off in PS CS3.
The red line still showed up in Encore preview. :???:
I ended up burning the disc and the red line was there under the play button.

Why would the red line still be there when I had turned it off it two places?
All the other changes were fine.
Thanks
Rich
:-D
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Encore CS3 menu question

Postby Bill Hunt » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:51 am

Richard,

If I followed you correctly, you did a Save_As from Photoshop, correct?

If so, you still have the previous version of your Menu in Encore. The "dynamic link" between Encore & PS works this way:

In Encore you Rt-click the Menu and choose Edit in Photoshop. Three things happen: a tmp file is created, a link to it is established in Encore with return link to Encore and the PSD is opened in Photoshop. There is a "path" created via those links.

Edit in Photoshop, and hit Save, not Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy, that link is followed, and the PSD in Encore is replaced by the the edited version.* If you wish to "save" the edited Menu PSD with another name for later use, that is fine, just as is Save_As_a_Copy, but you MUST follow that link back to Encore, and the easiest way is to hit plain old Save, before you close out of PS, but only if you did Save_As_a_Copy. I often do this, if I think I'll want to use the edited version in another Project, or use it in its new form elsewhere in the existing Project. If you did Save_As, then the file open in PS is not your original tmp file, but is the new Save_As. To work with the link, you will have to look in your recent files list, and choose your tmp file - should be the next one down. I did a short article on Save, Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy and how they work and their differences. I think that was in the Adobe Premiere Elements forum. Each does simiar, though there are big differences.

Now, if you did a Save_As, you will need to go into Encore and replace your original Menu with your Save_As version, because Encore is still looking for the links to the tmp file, and still has the un-edited original in the Project.

If you do not recall the name of your Save_As file, it should be in the Photoshop Open menu for recent files, along with the tmp file.

If there are still problems, then we can address exactly what you're doing in PS and might change a few things, but they look pretty good at first reading of your post.

Hunt

* the reason for this footnote is that I, and many others, have discovered a little "glitch" in the PS -> Encore linking. Sometimes, hitting Save (or Ctrl-s) once does not activate the link. I have found that 3 is the magic number to always get it to activate the link. Now, out of habit, I will hit Ctrl-s, when I am done, collapse my Button Layer Sets and hit Ctrl-s, then just before I exit PS, hit Ctrl-s once more. Why? No one has figured it out, and it only happens on occasion, not always, so it's not really a "bug," in that you cannot always reproduce it. It happens often enough, that I just adopted my above workflow, to keep it from happening. When it does, doing a Save (or Ctrl-s) twice does not seem to clear it. So far, 3x always does. Also, the reason that I use Ctrl-s (rather than the menubar's File>Save) is that if you have not made any changes, File>Save will be greyed out. If you want to see some of the discussion and testing on this "glitch," let me know and I'll furnish links to some of the articles in the Adobe Encore forum. However, for practical use, the above is a distillation of this little problem.
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby hpharley90 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:45 pm

Hunt it could very well be that it was going to wrong link. That chance is high. ](*,)
I will check on that later.
Also when I do a Save_As I click File then Save_As.

I've got another problem now with Photoshop that I have to start a new thread.
Thanks
Rich
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby hpharley90 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:27 pm

Bill Hunt wrote:
Bill Hunt wrote: * the reason for this footnote is that I, and many others, have discovered a little "glitch" in the PS -> Encore linking. Sometimes, hitting Save (or Ctrl-s) once does not activate the link. I have found that 3 is the magic number to always get it to activate the link. Now, out of habit, I will hit Ctrl-s, when I am done, collapse my Button Layer Sets and hit Ctrl-s, then just before I exit PS, hit Ctrl-s once more. Why? No one has figured it out, and it only happens on occasion, not always, so it's not really a "bug," in that you cannot always reproduce it. It happens often enough, that I just adopted my above workflow, to keep it from happening. When it does, doing a Save (or Ctrl-s) twice does not seem to clear it. So far, 3x always does. Also, the reason that I use Ctrl-s (rather than the menubar's File>Save) is that if you have not made any changes, File>Save will be greyed out. If you want to see some of the discussion and testing on this "glitch," let me know and I'll furnish links to some of the articles in the Adobe Encore forum. However, for practical use, the above is a distillation of this little problem.

Glad to know it was not me. Thanks for that heads up Hunt. :TU:
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:33 pm

So far, I have not been able to narrow down why this happens sometimes. I've had it *not* Save with only one minor change, and had it Save after hours of editing, with no problem. I've done 10 Menus in a row, with about the same editing operations, with each one doing perfectly. Then, the eleventh will not Save/Update.

After a lot of experimentation, I could not come up with why this would happen, but did find that with problem Menus, 3 Saves did the trick 100% of the time for me. Now, that is part of my workflow - 3x Ctrl-s, before I close out. Apparently, the link to the TMP files gets dicey, but with 3 Saves, seems to snap out of it.

I don't have CS3, but it appears that this little glitch happens there too. If I could find some way to replicate the problem, all of the time, I'd file a bug report. As it is, it seems totally random and does not care if it's the only Menu being edited or the tenth. Sometimes it just goes wonky on 1 Save. Two Saves does not seem to do the trick, but 3 is the magic number - go figure.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:18 am

I will always do a Save As in Premiere (Pro and Elements), After Effects, EncoreDVD, and Dreamweaver.
Basically any Adobe product that I use, because they all seem to have this problem at one time or another.
I have just gotten used to doing a save as at critical points in each, that has saved me many times over ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:30 am

Chuck,

Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy have well, "Saved" my bacon on many occasions.

One caveat with using Save_As, when working on a Menu that is linked from Encore to PS. What you are actually working on is a TMP file, that is linked both ways - to PS and from PS to Encore. To dynamically update in Encore, you want to keep that/those link(s). This why one should always do either a Save (transfers the changes back down that link - in most cases. See above of the exceptional glitch), or a Save_As_a_Copy. The SAaC will make a copy of your file onto your system with the name of choice. This is a backup. If one does a Save_As, what happens is that the link back to Encore becomes broken, as the file now Open in PS is no longer that TMP file.

If this happens, and the link IS broken. One only needs to go back to Encore, remove that Menu from the Project, Import_As_Menu the Save_As file (obviously under its now new name), and you're good to go, with one exception. Any Linking that was done to the old Menu will need to be redone in Encore.

When working outside of the dynamic linking (notice lower-case, as this is NOT Adobe Dynamic Link) between PS and Encore, Save_As is great, and I use it, plus SAaC all of the time. Whether it's a Project in PP, PE, AE or Encore, I always have copies in abundance. With big Projects, I'll Archive with all Assets gathered, to an external. I may end up with 2-3 of these, as time goes by. When done, and a final Archive has been made and tested, I'll go back and delete the previous ones, and then the Project itself, from my system.

As I find that many editing activities in my Projects are repetitious (read - boring), the thought of having to go back and redo those (repetitious²) again does not appeal to me. I also have AutoSave going too.

I am firmly with you on the importance of Saving, as I go, but just wanted to point out that one little aspect with the linked Menus between PS and Encore.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:20 pm

I will also close all programs, rename the bad file to '_old' or '_bad' and then rename the Save As file to the original file name.
Then opened the programs again and all is good, usually. Seems there are always those times when nothing seems to work, but those are becoming fewer and fewer.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to DVD Authoring