They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Creating a PowerPoint DVD

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Creating a PowerPoint DVD

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:05 pm

I have several PowerPoint slideshows that I have created for a class that I'm teaching. These are not just static slides, but have custom animations, transitions, etc., so I can't just make slides out of them, they have to be run as PowerPoint files.

Now I realize that I can just put the PP data files on a CD and run them just by clicking on them. But what I have in mind is creating a DVD that would have a nice menu with background graphic. The idea would be to be able to choose a PP slideshow just the way you would choose a video on a DVD that we might create in Premiere Elements. When the slideshow was over it would return to the menu, where you could choose the next slideshow.

I tried this with NERO, but it wants video files. Am I too far away from how DVDs are intended to be used, or is this possible in some way?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Jayell » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:39 pm

Not a lot of help here .. just more input :)

I downloaded a trial version of Snag-it yesterday and played with recording Powerpoint presentations. Looks like the best it does is 15 fps for video. So the photos are OK, but the transitions are pretty shaky. It has a box to also record audio, but my sound card doesn't do that, so can't speak for that portion .. I'm guessing the sound quality would also be minimal.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:39 pm

I don't know how good this is but it is free to try
http://www.newfreedownloads.com/Multime ... movie.html

There are many programs out there that will convert PowerPoint to AVI and other formats. Once converted just bring it into Premiere Elements, add your menu and burn :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:56 pm

Well....I'm really not interested in converting to a video file. I just want to be able to access the PP files from a DVD menu. Converting to a video file would take away my control of the customized effects that I've created.

I've been searching the Internet and have found that there are some programs available which will create an autoplay CD menu (not DVD) and allow you to add background pictures for the menu and such. This may be what I'm looking for. Only problem is these things are a lot more expensive than they would be worth to me. I may end up just sticking with putting them on a CD and accessing the files the old fashioned way. It's not that big of a deal. I just thought it would snazz it up a bit because I may end up passing copies along to other instructors.

Thanks folks.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Creating a PowerPoint DVD

Postby juice » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:18 am

I'm with Presentation To Video Converter
http://www.geovid.com/Presentation_to_Video_Converter/

just my 2 cents...
juice
New User
New User

Postby Ron » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:30 am

juice, is this spam? I see that you're still here in the forum.

If you don't reply to this post within 30 minutes, it will be deleted and you will be banned.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:12 am

Ron, if it's spam it's pretty sophisticated. It does seem to be on topic to my original discussion. Maybe I'm just naive.

Dave McElderry

Postby Ron » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:21 am

This is a typical spam MO - the topic is quite old. They like to register... dart in, dart out and will post anywhere. Yes, it's related somewhat and it IS a human and not an auto--BOT (the user's address is originating in Russia), but I can usually tell spam a mile away. He/she lurked around a bit, posted one more time and now is gone.

I'll give it a bit more time, not 100% sure yet.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:57 am

Hey Juice, We don't mind posting links to useful products, actually we do it all the time.
Just like to make sure that the people doing the posting are here to help or get help and not just promote some products.
I see you posted in another topic so I think you are probably OK, just post back and let us know you are not trying to spam the forum :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mark hansen » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 pm

If I understand the original question, I think you have a few PP presentations that are stand alone, or maybe not, I don't think it matters.

If you want it to automatically do a menu when you insert the disk, what about having a HTML web page type menu? The Web page menu could play music and bring up a AVI as a DVD menu look-a-like. Then of course have links to the PP files that will load and run as a standalone presentation (from PP) or if PP is hanging around on the PC, run as a PP file through PP.

It could be on a DVD (data based DVD) if you need the disk space, or perhaps the same thing on a CD if you don't go over 650 MB (or so)

Just an idea.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:43 pm

Mark, you might notice that my original post was quite a few months back. It's interesting that you mention the use of hyperlinks, as this occured to me just a few days ago while driving home from teaching. Strange that this little puzzle was still going through my mind.

In the end, I found a freebie menuing program like I described in one of my follow-ups. It's not great, but it served the purpose for this teaching season. I only have one more classroom to present (tomorrow evening) so I'll probably play with this over the winter and will give the hyperlinks a shot. Thanks!

Dave McElderry

Postby mark hansen » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:02 pm

:oops: Oops... I was going through unread posts and didn't notice the dates. :oops:
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:08 pm

That's ok Mark, I do it all the time :oops:

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to DVD Authoring