They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Authoring PAL DVDs from NTSC source

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Authoring PAL DVDs from NTSC source

Postby jackfalbey » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:37 pm

I've had a request to do some clean-up and revision editing to an existing DVD set (not copy-protected, currently in NTSC format), and author it to PAL. I have a few questions:

1) The master tapes and files are unavailable, so all I have are the DVDs. Normally, I would use the Media Downloader in PE3.0 to rip the VOBs, then export them as DV-AVI to bring into PPro. Is there a better way to import the VOBs into PPro to maintain maximum quality?

2) After editing, what is the best way to convert it to PAL video? Start with a PAL project and bring in the NTSC clips, edit in an NTSC project and export to PAL specs, or edit & export in NTSC and let Encore transcode it to PAL?

3) Will the PAL DVDs produced by my North American versions of software and hardware play in PAL players overseas? The client has also asked about region coding; should I just leave it set for "Enable: All Regions"?
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Authoring PAL DVDs from NTSC source

Postby Bobby » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Jack, I don't have any answers, but I do have more questions!

I have to send one of my recent DVDs to the UK. I really don't want to completely re-do the project from start as a PAL project. I guess I could export the project as AVI and then just read the AVI into a PAL project?

The question is: would it be reasonable to expect that UK DVD players can in fact actually play NTSC? I have read elsewhere that the chipsets are the same and handle both formats. Any ideaas?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:38 pm

Jack, In most cases NTSC plays fine in Europe, it is playing PAL here in the U.S. that is the problem.
As far as conversions go, it is much easier to convert PAL to NTSC than the other way arounds.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jackfalbey » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:54 pm

My client wants PAL... some of their customers are in third-world countries as well as Europe and Asia and they have had trouble playing the NTSC version.

BTW, it's a series on farming techniques produced by a Christian missions group, before anyone starts having unsavory thoughts about the content! :oops:

It'll be sunrise in the UK soon; maybe Paul or Twosheds will have some answers...
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:47 am

Using AVISYNTH, you can convert NTSC to PAL with the code at bottom of this page:

http://avisynth.org/InterlacingAndDeinterlacing
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:24 am

Chuck is correct when he states that most (all?) PAL players handle NTSC.

But if you want absolute confirmation, Jack, you can always snail mail me a DVD sample, or post a short, completed file that I can download and burn here (we may need Ron's help for that) then I can check it for you on a variety of players. :-D

The second option sounds good to me because this question arises with some frequency and we will be able to share certainty on the forum and have a point of reference for the future should the query arise again.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby jackfalbey » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:12 pm

Okay, the situation is a little different than I originally thought...

The DVD-set is currently in PAL Standard (720x576, 25 fps), although they have PAL Widescreen menus. I've copied the VOBs using PE3.0's Media Downloader in a PAL Standard project, and renamed the extension to .mpg so they will import into PPro CS3.

Most of the client's requested edits involve audio clean-up, leveling, and noise removal, all of which I will do in Soundbooth. They have requested a few video transitions to be added, but nothing else major video-wise except for converting to NTSC as well as re-authoring PAL versions of the corrected videos. Rather than rebuild the menu (since I don't have the original assets), I'm just going to use it as a video intro clip and set the DVDs to auto-play.

My proposed workflow is:
-rip VOBs using PE3.0 Media Downloader in a PAL Standard project
-rename file extensions to .mpg
-import clips into PPro CS3 PAL Standard project
-edit audio tracks in Soundbooth
-add video transitions
-export/encode as PAL to Encore and burn a DVD image
-export/encode as NTSC to Encore and burn a DVD image

Does anyone have any suggestions where I could do it any better, faster, or retain higher quality in the finished videos?
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:19 pm

That is exactly what I would do Jack, I am interested to hear how the quality turns out.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to DVD Authoring