They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Lightscribe

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Re: Lightscribe

Postby Bobby » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:25 pm

What I got was called a refurb (from Epson), yet it looked completely new and came with a brand new set of cartridges. I wouldn't be worried about exploring the refurb option, especially for a printer that is only going to do a limited function (print DVDs). It may not have superior color print quality, but for DVDs probably more than fine.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:03 am

Thanks everyone for the advice & links.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby ScrugneysGundogs » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:24 pm

I just made some LightScribe labels today. I downloaded the latest LightScribe software before I started. It's come a long ways since the original version I used. The main difference is how much darker the output is now. The software lets you tweak it for "best" output (read: darker). I like the finished product, for the same reasons most of you talked about - there is no smudging LightScribe labels like there is with inkjet printed labels. However, I have those too. I've got two Epson printers that print right onto the DVD. It's nice to have the color on those labels, and they seem to last, as long as you don't put a wet/damp/sweaty finger on them. Which brings me back to the first method of labeling disks --- the stick-on printed labels --- which suck! Every - as in EVERY - DVD that I ever labeled with one of those stick-on labels, failed over time! Something in the adhesive changes and causes the DVD to go out-of-balance, and then the disk won't play. I've proved it was the label, rather than the disk itself, that failed by removing the old, stick-on label with "GOO Gone". Once the label was removed, the disk would play again.

Because of this history with the stick-on labels, I still have reservations about the longevity of the "printable" DVDs. Until I am convinced they won't fail over time, I think LightScribe is the way to go.
ScrugneysGundogs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:28 pm

Have a few more questions please. Sorry, cursed with the have to see the big picture gene. :)

Option 1: Found an external at Amazon. If I go with Lightscribe, I would have to burn DVD-R 16x and if anyone has a problem playing that DVD could burn a non lightscribe 8x as a back up plan. Looking at the product specs, is this a good one?

http://www.amazon.com/20x-External-Supe ... 15&sr=8-34

Option 2: Found a Printer at Best Buy. It has 2 inkcartridges vs. more on the Epson line. I feel more confident buying the printer locally. Read too many reviews on the Epsons that the printers were DOA and had problems returning them. (Reading the reviews is sorta like reading the meds sheet listing all the possible side effects that comes with your RX :shock: ) Here is the one at Best Buy, couldn't find any reviews on this model:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopp ... g=en&cc=us

Question 3: For either product, can I use PSE5 to create a template? How does this work?

Any advice on the above would be appreciated, Thanks.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:40 pm

Can't help with the Lightscribe burner, sorry.

Don't see that the HP printer prints to DVDs and CDs.

I can send you a template that will work in PSE5, just a simple TIF file :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ScrugneysGundogs » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:26 pm

momoffduty wrote: If I go with Lightscribe, I would have to burn DVD-R 16x and if anyone has a problem playing that DVD could burn a non lightscribe 8x as a back up plan. Looking at the product specs, is this a good one?

First of all, let me try to clear up your confusion about disk speeds. The speed of the burner is expressed in terms of "x" (thought of as "times"). A "1x" DVD burner was the original type. The next one (which is twice as fast) is a "2x" burner. An "8x" burner is 8 times faster, and a "16x" burner is 16 times as fast. Now any of those faster burners can be set to write the DVD slower. I find that a DVD written at 16x can sometimes fail to play on my standalone DVD player. For that reason, I burn my FINAL copies of my DVDs at a speed slower than 16x (like 1x or 4x). This makes the DVD more reliable. In any case, any DVD written at any speed can by read by any DVD drive - read & write speeds are independent of each other.

As for the specific burner you asked about, I've never used it, but 20x speed and LightScribe for that price is awesome!

momoffduty wrote:Option 2: Found a Printer at Best Buy. It has 2 inkcartridges vs. more on the Epson line.

Let me clear up another misconception. You WANT the printer that has more ink cartridges. Why? Because when the yellow cartridge runs out, you only have to replace the yellow cartridge. The HP printers have a color cartridge with 3 colors of ink in one cartridge. When one of the 3 colors runs out, you have to replace the whole cart - and they never run out at the same time. (I've had 4 HP printers, and 3 Epson printers). The Epson printer you want to buy (for printing on DVDs) is the Stylus Photo R260 or newer equivalent model.

momoffduty wrote:For either product, can I use PSE5 to create a template? How does this work?

If Nero comes with the DVD drive, it comes with software for doing just that.
ScrugneysGundogs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Taiyo Yuden Waterproof

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:17 pm

I purchased some Taiyo Yuden Watershield disks. I printed directly on the disk using my Epson R220. Went to the sink and turned on the water. No smudge, no run. As far as longevity goes, who knows. A little more expensive, but I will be buying more of these in the future.

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yu ... indle.html
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:38 pm

Lots to think about. I have Nero and did burn a 16x disc (not Verbatim) at 8x and it failed. Tried a Verbatim 8x at a burn of 4x and failed. Finally, found that Verbatim 8x burned at the same works. That was last year and could account for user error back then, bad discs, or the brand.

Thanks for clearing up the ink cartridge numbers, good to know. The HP model I listed does have the CD/DVD tray, saw it in the store and it is listed in the specs at Best Buy. Not sure why the Mfgr. specs on its site does not list that.

Leaning towards the lightscribe for now. Reading the Amazon reviews, it says the unit comes with Nero. Which I already have. One review said you cannot install just the lightscribe, that it is bundled with Nero. Will this create a problem since I already have Nero?

Those that use Lightscribe, have you had good success rate with Verbatim DVD-R 16x burned at 8x or less?
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Bill Hunt » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:49 pm

Cheryl,

The specs for the CD/DVD tray are on the full spec. PDF. This is good, as there was lawsuit filed by Epson, which kept both HP and Canon from offering the "print to DVD" functinon in the US. They could do so in Europe (and the rest of the world, AFAIK, just not the US). Obviously, that has been sorted out.

I also like the individual cartridges. My latest HP all-in-one has gone to that arrangement, though its predecessor was the 2-cart model.

I've used the Epsons for DVD's since the 300 model. I replaced that with a 340 and have just ordered the R-1900 to also replace my Stylus XL-Pro wide-carriage unit. The only complaint that I have had with the 300 & 340 has been the CD/DVD tray takeup. I got tired of having to hold it flush, when it fed. The trays were improved on the 340, over the 300, but were still the weak link. From my tests, the 1900 is a much better unit in that regard. When you've got 50 DVD's to print, it's a pain to have to lean on the tray for it to feed. I've no experience with the 2xx models.

I'll let you know how the 1900 works in real life, when it arrives. Interesting, Epson store had the best price, that I could find. Staples equaled it, but had to be ordered. Figuring sales tax, I got the 2-year warranty and express shipping almost for free. Hey, I'll take "free."

Will be interesting to see what HP and Canon introduce in the US now, and how Epson counters their offerings. Regardless, I know that the day my unit arrives, all three will have a better printer, at less than what I paid... that is how my life goes.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby cdeemer » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:59 pm

Cheryl, I've never had a failure burning TDK Lightscribe at 4x.
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Taiyo Yuden Waterproof

Postby ScrugneysGundogs » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:13 pm

VernonRobinson wrote:I purchased some Taiyo Yuden Watershield disks. I printed directly on the disk using my Epson R220. Went to the sink and turned on the water. No smudge, no run. As far as longevity goes, who knows. A little more expensive, but I will be buying more of these in the future.

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yu ... indle.html

Awesome! That is exactly what was needed for that technology. I've got to get me some of those!
ScrugneysGundogs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ScrugneysGundogs » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:28 pm

momoffduty wrote: One review said you cannot install just the lightscribe, that it is bundled with Nero. Will this create a problem since I already have Nero?

Those that use Lightscribe, have you had good success rate with Verbatim DVD-R 16x burned at 8x or less?

Here is a little tidbit I found with Nero - you can use more than one copy of the program!?! How? I'll tell you. Each OEM version of Nero comes with it's own serial number. You can enter more than one serial number into the Nero Suite of programs. Why would you do that? Because each OEM version *MAY* allow you to run different programs in the suite.

If you do purchase a new version of Nero, make sure you write down the serial number of the one you already have installed. Then install the new version. Once it is up and running, enter the serial number of the old version along with the current serial number. (If you need help with that I'll have to go look it up, as it's been a while since I did that).

- As for the Verbatim discs, I've got Memorex brand and HP brand, neither of which has given me any trouble. However, as with all brands of DVDs, some work better than others.
ScrugneysGundogs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ridon127 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:34 pm

ScrugneysGundogs wrote:- As for the Verbatim discs, I've got Memorex brand and HP brand, neither of which has given me any trouble. However, as with all brands of DVDs, some work better than others.

I have has alot of trouble withthe HP lightscribe. I have bought them at Wal-Mart and Best Buy and neither one has been that great.. Both of my computers are HP so I figured they would be fine.. I have used Memorex had fairly good results with them..

I like the lightscribe.. Works good for what I do..I may change my mind after I print 100 DVDs.. :-D
Go out and make it a great day. The choice is yours!
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:00 am

Look here for a discussion about DVD brands, formats etc.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1779
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby jackfalbey » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:45 pm

First off, there's a place for both Lightscribe and Inkjet-printable DVDs. Personal preference aside, it really depends on the end use. I use Lightscribe for corporate videos and VHS transfers, and Inkjet-printable for weddings & family stuff.

I've run over 500 Verbatim 16x DVD-R Lightscribe discs and had no bad burns. I export the DVD image from Encore CS3 and use ImgBurn (free) to burn the DVDs at 8x.

For labeling software, you can use the free stuff from lightscribe.com but for more versatility I prefer Sure Thing. You can try it free for 15 days, but I think it's worth the $19.95 for the full version. It also prints Inkjet discs and case inserts.

With both ImgBurn and Sure Thing, you can label or burn simultaneously to as many drives as you have. I have 4 Lite-On Lightscribe drives (various models) and they all work extremely well. BTW, all of my Lite-On burners came with Nero Essentials and it didn't play well with my system. It caused all kinds of problems. Fortunately, you can download the Lightscribe system software you need for free here.

Finally, for brands, Verbatim is just about the most reliable Lightscribe disc and Taiyo Yuden is the best for inkjet-printable. Other brands may be reliable, but these two have been proven by a lot of users worldwide.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to DVD Authoring