They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Sub Menu in Encore 2.0

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Sub Menu in Encore 2.0

Postby Helen » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:43 pm

Hi
I thought I would ask the question as I am on a limited time frame for this project and did not want to waste too much time experimenting.
I have Encore 2.0 and I am planning on using the "Groovy" template under "Movie Genre" in PE4.0 for my menu, scene menu and sub-menus. Do I need to edit the templates in Photoshop, changing titles, adding more buttons etc or can I do all that in Encore? I am planning on having a sub-menu so do I need to create an extra menu template for this or can I just use the scene menu one and have it link to both the scene menu and then the sub-menu and just change the title.

I have not used Encore for over a year now and I cannot remember what I done last time. I will be importing all my clips as assets and using the flow chart to link everything together. I just can't remember how I made my sub menu last time and I no longer have the project, only the final output.

Thanks
Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Sub Menu in Encore 2.0

Postby Bill Hunt » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:26 pm

Helen,

I'd copy the templates from PE over to your "custom" Menus folder for use in Encore. Then, I'd Import them into Encore as Menus. In the Project Panel, you can dbl-click on the Menu(s) and open them in the Menu Edit Panel. Much of what you will probably want to do can be done there. Personally, I amost always use PS to do any Menu editing - more power and I know PS so very well. If you chose to do the work in PS, right-click on the Menu (in the Menu Edit Panel) and choose Edit in Photoshop. This creates a TMP file, but it's linked to the Menu in Encore. Do your work, then Save (not Save_As/Copy). This *should* update the Menu in Encore. I say *should*, because I have found a little glitch with this workflow between PS and Encore. Sometimes, it doesn't update properly. The workaround is to hit Ctrl-s after each edit. At three (3) Saves, it has never failed me. Now, one observation, regarding the Menu Assets from PE4. They usually contain multiple languages. When used in PE4, the install language seems to point the program to the proper Button Layer Sets. The others are turned off in PE4. However, when you open one of these in PS, you might get some font warnings, especially for the Oriental fonts. I would not take any actions, regarding the fonts, but would delete the unused Button Layer Sets for work in Encore. They seem pretty well defined, but be a little careful, when doing the deletions. This is one reason that I would copy the Menus FROM the PE4 Assets folder to my Encore Project. I'd not want to mess them up for PE4. If it expects something to be included, whether needed or not, I'd not want to ruin them.

If you have any specific questions on using Encore2 and PS to do the work, please don't hesitate to ask them. I'll monitor this thread, as you are on a short string. I'll be around all weekend, should you need assistance. Also, don't hesitate to e-mail me (don't know if it's in my profile, or not) at info@huntphoto.com. Just put Encore2 in the Subject Line, so my mailwasher doesn't trash it.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Helen » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:24 pm

Bill Hunt,

Thanks for the info very helpful. I always copy the menu templates when I plan on changing them a lot less hassle if something goes wrong. Very handy tip about the "Save" and not "Save As", I will have to remember this for the future.

Just double checking it is OK to use the same "scene menu" template for my scene menu and again for the sub menu and make my changes. Do I need to save an extra copy and have it called my sub menu?

I quite like Encore, but have not had much need to use it lately, all my projects have been fairly simple and I have not needed more than a main menu and a scene menu so PE4.0 has been sufficient. In this current project I want to expand on my scene menu a bit more and break it up into a few more sections and maybe even put my own little intro before the menu (haven't decided on this). Last time I used Encore, I used my intro, but I will need to think about whether to use it this time.

Thanks for the offer of help over the weekend. :-D
Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:57 pm

Helen,

Encore is not as strict, as PE, about which Menu is used. Because it allows multipe level so Menus, it is about how YOU set the buttons. One can use any sort of Menu (so long as the conventions match) anywhere.

One thing that I always do is to rename my Buttons. I carry this through to the Button Layer Sets, so that when I get into Encore, I have the names right for my layout. Remember, if you do this, uncheck "Sync Button Names," (or whatever the exact syntax is) back in Encore. I do a Ctrl-a (Select All) in Encore, to select all of the Buttons on a particular Menu and then in Menu Properties, uncheck. I have already renamed them, and I do not want Encore to do so again, dependent on the names of my Timeline in Encore. Now, as I edit in PP with my Sequences, which will equal Timeline in Encore, I have likely set the Sequence names to reflect what I will also want my Buttons to relect, but in case I have messed up, I do not want any errors to crop up automatically - uncheck Sync Names, and the work you've done in PS will not be undone.

In the cases of my Projects in Encore, I have the entire Library, plus dozens of "custom" Menus. I reuse these, and make the necessary changes in PS. This is what you're doing, by using Library Menus from PE.

One of the beauties of using Encore, is that you can create a Menu structure per your Project's requirements. If you find any Menus from sites, like this one, that you wish to customize, then save them to your "custom" Menu folder in Encore. I'm always on the lookout for these types of Assets, and then customize them in PS to suit my needs.

I have an article that I posted to the Adobe forums, on using Adobe Illustrator to create intricate Flowcharts for larger Projects. I'll see if I can find the link, or if I have the WordPerfect document on that article and post it here. When I get beyond a simple Menu + sub-Menu structure, I always do a layout in AI and do a printout, to refer to, when I begin linking my Assets. Saves a lot of re-dos.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:03 pm

As an addendum to the above posts, I need to add to a comment on removing the various additional Button Layer Sets from a PE Library Menu.

With a DVD, one is only afforded 1GB for all menus - ALL MENUS. The PE Menus have multiple languages. Great for using in PE, where you only get the Main Menu and then the subs. If you are doing something in Encore, the multiple language Button Layer Sets do take up some space. The reason that I would delete them is so they do not occupy any space that a multi-level Menu structure migh otherwise use. The extra space is not that great, but with a dozen Motion Menus, one can hit the 1GB ceiling in a hurry, especially if there are also WAV, or even AC3 Audio files for the Menus. Then, one adds some Button Transitions and you're out of space.

I meant to add this earlier, and got sidetracked on Helen's exact question.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Helen » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:52 am

Thank you very much it is all a lot clearer now. =D>
Good idea about creating a flowchart in Illustrator. I might try that, but as I am not completely competent with Illustrator yet, it might not work this time and a hand drawn flowchart may be the way to go.

I am learning Illustrator and Indesign as I go at the moment. I am in the process of creating a Yearbook for my daughter's class and am using both programs. I have learnt so much this year about these other programmes and I feel that I have only touched the surface and have so much more to learn.

Looking forward to checking out the links on the articles if you have a chance to find them

Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:33 am

Helen,

Could not find the link (maybe before Adobe made *that* change to their forum and a lot of stuff got lost), but I did have the article on my laptop. I'll edit it over the weekend, to make sure that it is still correct and maybe update a comment or two. I'll post it in the DVD Authoring forum here.

Good luck on your Project,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Helen » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:21 pm

Thanks very much
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to DVD Authoring