They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Replace timeline in Encore CS3

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Replace timeline in Encore CS3

Postby jackfalbey » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:54 pm

After burning a test DVD recently, I discovered that my audio gain was too high in some areas. I went back into Premiere and fixed it, then re-exported the video. After importing it into Encore as a timeline, I tried various ways of dropping the new clip on to the old one, but it just doesn't work the way it wouldd in Premiere. Is there a way to replace the old clip/timeline in Encore while preserving the chapter markers and menu links, or maybe even just copy & paste the attributes? I don't see a "replace clip" option like in Premiere...
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Replace timeline in Encore CS3

Postby Gooder » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:00 pm

Hello Jack,

I think you could be talking about the "Replace Asset" feature in Encore.

If you right click on the AVI file that is for yout timeline, you can change the existing clip over to use your new AVI clip!

Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:22 pm

That was it, Lee! =D>
I knew there had to be an easy way to do it!
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:01 pm

If you replace the old file with a new one (same name), Encore will replace the file itself automatically.
You can even replace the file with the Encore project open, I do it all the time.
Lee already beat me to the other option if the filename is different.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:13 pm

Chuck,

I normally use your method. As I use elemental streams, if I only need to edit Audio it's a simple AC3, that I save over the original file. Same for a change in the Video.

However, several respected folk on the Encore forum have been arguing against this practice. While I have never had a problem, I am starting to re-think my practice, based on some errors and problems that others seem to be having with this method. Personally, all I have are the results, that it has never caused a problem. Still, when Neil Wilkes, Ruud Blauw and Jeff Bellune lobby for a ceasation of a practice, I tend to listen. They are all proponents of Replace Asset. I'll probably keep the status quo, until I get an error, then will change. Just wanted to add this, 'cause you do it, just like I do.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:04 pm

Thanks Bill, that does make sense and is probably a good practice anyway.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Chuck,

So far, I have not been bitten, but considering where the recs. to NOT do that come from, I have to listen.

While trying to test for a user's error message on their Project, I delibertly did the "old way," to try and stress Encore and my system. Worked perfectly. Oh well, so long as we know that there *could* be a problem, huh? On that test, I could not generate any of the error messages, that the other user had all of the time, so all of my efforts were for naught. Other than telling him, "didn't happen to me," I was of no use.

If I ever do encounter a problem with the re-Exporting to same filename and same folder, I'll let you know.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:31 am

Have the same problem, but think it is a different type of asset. A Timeline transcoded in Pro and not an AVI that is transcoded in Encore.

After I make corrections in Pro and then 'send to Encore' this will open up a new Encore project. How do I direct it to the original Encore project that has the menus & markers set up?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bill Hunt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:06 pm

Cheryl,

This is a guess, since I do not have CS3. I'd look into opening your Encore Project with PrPro open. Then under File, choose Dynamic Link and point to your Sequence in PrPro.

As I use PrPro 2 and Encore 2, and also do not use its early implementation of DL much, this might not work for you, but I'm hoping.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Thanks Bill, will try that. If that is not possible, was thinking that I could send it to Encore as normal and not use that Encore project. Then move that timeline files to the original Encore project folder and then use the replace asset feature. I prefer that Pro transcodes, not Encore that is why I don't want to save the Pro project as an AVI. Encore takes me forever to edit the menus and get things set up, really don't want to start over. Will have to look into that book you have recommended, Jeff Bellume's. Have read the Encore manual 10x and creates more confusion.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to DVD Authoring