They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Verifying DVD content again

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Re: Verifying DVD content again

Postby jackfalbey » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:03 pm

Oh, come on, Chuck... I think it's really charming how the 285 turns into a parking lot every day at 5PM, and you get to watch the Western face of Stone Mountain go from bright daylight to complete dark while your car only moves 100 yards. :blackeye:
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:16 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:...Unless you live in Atlanta...

Ugggh. I just found out my daughter may be moving to Atlanta. Bad news: a lot further away. Good news: I could get to meet Chuck!

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:46 pm

It would be an honor Bob, just give me a heads up when you are on your way :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:15 pm

jackfalbey wrote:For what it's worth, I burn DVDs on 4 drives simultaneously in my workstation using ImgBurn at 8x from the same ISO file on an internal RAID0. They always have verification errors, but they play just fine on every DVD player I've tested. I simply turned off the verification step, and I just check them after burning in a regular DVD player.

Mmmmm.. I got hold of ImgBurn and it certainly looks interesting. However (dumb question coming up), it only SEEMS to like .ISO files when creating "queues" - how does one create ISO files...? Is there an intermediate step?

Thanks! :-)
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:50 pm

ISO files are basically a bit-for-bit copy of a complete DVD (menus, audio, video, etc.) that's stored as a single computer file. If you burn to DVD Folder or DVD Image from your editing/authoring software, that creates an ISO file. Alternatively, ImgBurn itself can convert an AVI to ISO by selecting "Mode -> Build" from the drop-down menu.

My workflow is: edit in PPro CS3, export to Encore CS3 for menu etc., burn to DVD Image creating an ISO, then use ImgBurn to actually burn the DVDs. I find it to be the fastest way, with no errors so far... [-o< :)
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:08 pm

Also, Brian, I don't use the queue feature for burning on multiple drives... I just open up as many instances of ImgBurn as I need. That's one of the many great things about that software; you can have multiples open and running simultaneously. For example, if I have 100 DVDs to burn I'll open ImgBurn 4 times, set each one to a different drive, and then set each one for 25 copies.
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:55 am

But that gives you the verification errors you mentioned earlier.. I wonder if there's a straightforward way of converting the VIDEO_TS folder to an .ISO file? Or could I somehow create an .ISO instead under the 'Share' phase within Elements?
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Briantho » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:32 pm

My problems are solved thanks to ImgBurn :-D

ImgBurn has a simple procedure to create an .ISO file from a VIDEO_TS folder (http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1778) and after that it was just a question of using the queue feature (http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=930) to setup the three sequential, error free burns. There were no errors from the verify stage and that keeps my conscience clear ;-)

OK, I had hoped that the extra step (from my point of view) of converting VIDEO_TS to .ISO wouldn’t be necessary but thanks to the excellent instructions it was brief and painless.

I had seriously considered upgrading from Nero 7 to 8 in the (probably) false hope that the erratic and erroneous verification error indications would be taken care of. As I’m only using Nero to burn DVDs and ImgBurn does all I want (and more), I’ll soon be pressing the ‘Donate’ button over there and sending on to them what Nero nearly got.
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Glad to hear it, Brian! I originally found out about ImgBurn from one of our fellow Muvipix'ers and it's worked out well for me, too.
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:29 am

This approach (burning one DVD after the other) obviously takes longer but I'm fine with that. It also means that I can go back to burning from external drives connected by USB and I can 'mix' all sorts of DVD burners which Nero flatly refused to consider.

Thanks for the original 'heads up' Jack! :-D
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:19 am

Brian, I think you can open multiple instances of ImgBurn and point them to different DVD Burners.
I'm sure Jack has more detail but I am pretty sure you don't have to burn just one at a time if you have multiple burners.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:06 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Brian, I think you can open multiple instances of ImgBurn and point them to different DVD Burners.
I'm sure Jack has more detail but I am pretty sure you don't have to burn just one at a time if you have multiple burners.

Hi Chuck - that's exactly what Jack said a little bit further up the thread but he also says that he gets verify error messages if he does it this way. All the same, his experience is that the burning step completes as anticipated.

Personally I'm not keen on error messages and if, to avoid them, it means letting a single instance of the program work its own way steadily through the sequential burnings and I don't have to intervene until I see all those drawers are open, that makes me happy. With the mix and number of machines and burners I have plus the time I make available, I think I'm going to stick to an (erroneous) error message free, single instance. ;)
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Previous

Return to DVD Authoring