They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

how to design and print a DVD case cover?

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

how to design and print a DVD case cover?

Postby chooks » Mon May 26, 2008 7:17 pm

I purchased some blank DVD cases, and want to design and print a cover sheet to slide into them. Is there a nice template I can use? I have both adobe photoshop cs3, and photoshop elements 6. I am not sure how to go about it, and any help in putting me in the right direction will be appreciated :)
chooks
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: how to design and print a DVD case cover?

Postby Bobby » Mon May 26, 2008 7:37 pm

My experience with cases is that they are all slightly different, so you will have to cut and try until you find the right size. Once you do that, you should be able to layout a basic template in any graphics program, setting the page size to the dimensions you discover.

I spent a lot more time getting the right paper type for the insert, than the size. You will find that you need something stiff enough to stay put and rigid, but bendable enough at the center.

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 26, 2008 7:53 pm

There are at least two major sizes of DVD jackets. One is the traditional "jewel box" format, that is also used for CDs. The front of one of these cases is 4 3/4" x 4 3/4". You'll find wrap-around templates for these jackets in Photoshop Elements 6 under the Create tab, then More Options, then CD jacket.

The larger book style format for DVD jackets (approximately 5 1/4" x 7 1/2" on each side, plus a spine) are also included as templates in Photo Elements 6. Click the Create tab, then More Options, then DVD jacket.

In both cases, you can use the provided templates or just delete them and use the space as you'd prefer.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon May 26, 2008 8:45 pm

I use Memorex inserts and the free Memorex program for design, that is for the full size case and the jewel box types.
There are also other brands that have free design software as well, including Neato and Avery.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue May 27, 2008 2:10 am

Also some DVD burning software comes with label design software (e.g Nero). Canon also provide label printing software for some of there printers - maybe the printer manuafacturer of your printer does. It is worth checking their website. Also there may be shareware or similar that you might find. A commercial product is Accoustica CD Label Maker - there are probably others.

http://www.acoustica.com/cd-label-maker/
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Gooder » Tue May 27, 2008 3:04 am

Same as, John :)
http://www.acoustica.com/cd-label-maker/

I used the free trial and it had everything i wanted, so I purchased it.
You also get free Art packs http://www.acoustica.com/cd-label-maker/new-art.html

Another handy feature is if your paper type is not listed within the software, you can send the guy a sheet
or let him know what type of paper you are using, so he can update the software and get the software working for you!

Support is excellent, well worth every penny but do try the trial and see for yourself :)

Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ronnie » Tue May 27, 2008 6:54 am

I use PSE, I measure the size of the jacket, set my canvas to that size, mark the spine, and go from there. I print it on photo paper, so it looks really nice.
Ronnie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Tue May 27, 2008 9:17 am

Use PS5 for the CD Jackets on card stock. When I print on one side and try to flip the paper over to print the backside, it does not quite line up. If I rotate the paper it will line up, but then the print is upside down. Any tips?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Ronnie » Tue May 27, 2008 12:44 pm

I normally don't print on the back side, but it sounds like if you would rotate your canvas 180 degrees, you could rotate and print with things being lined up and right side up.
Ronnie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Barb O » Wed May 28, 2008 12:17 pm

PSE 6 has something to use for making CD and DVD cases - so go have a look under the Create tab. You might have to do a More Options in order to see the choice for the DVD jackets; it is close to the choice for greeting cards.

Sorry but I don't have access to a copy of PSE 6 for awhile due to computer upgrades in progress, so I can't give you more specifics.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Wed May 28, 2008 11:12 pm

I use these pre-scored A4-size inserts with SureThing label software and Canon iP4200 photo printer and they come out looking great http://www.meritline.com/merdvdcasinp.html
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:42 am

I have to second the Neato media and program. Been using them for years. No muss. No fuss. Comes prescored and matches up perfectly with software templates. They have started an online design tool, which I have not used. I tried the media from Supermedia. It was a pain. I had to create my own template and kept tweaking to get proper alignment. After that, the media was not perforated all the way. Wound up with way to many ragged edges. Neato may be a small premium, but it is well worth it in my opinion. Also, if you do not have a printer that prints directly on CD/DVD and use paper labels, I can recommend them for that also. Never had one peel off and they seem to play just fine. Some are over 10 years old. BTW, customer service, should you ever need to call, has been excellent.

http://www.neato.com/

Just a satisified customer,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to DVD Authoring