They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Movie Gift Won't Play in DVD Player

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Movie Gift Won't Play in DVD Player

Postby videolady » Wed May 14, 2008 12:37 pm

A friend was given a home-made DVD movie (slide show) but it only plays on the computer and not in her DVD player. She was given both a DVD-r and +r version.

She has no idea how it was made but wants to know if I can fix it. I'm wondering if these clues help determine how it was created. When I check on Properties>General>Type, it says CD Drive (even though I have it in a CD/DVD Drive) and >File System says CDFS.

So 2 questions:
1) How can I tell how it was done?
2) How can I fix it to play in her DVD player?
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Movie Gift Won't Play in DVD Player

Postby Peru » Wed May 14, 2008 1:05 pm

videolady wrote:A friend was given a home-made DVD movie (slide show) but it only plays on the computer and not in her DVD player. She was given both a DVD-r and +r version.

2) How can I fix it to play in her DVD player?

What brand of disc(s) are they?
Is her DVD player compatible with that brand?

If it is a compatibility issue, try copying the disc to a brand that you know will work. Most players will read Verbatim, I believe. Don't want to waste a disc? Then use a rewriteable.

If not a compatibility issue, how about importing the disc (import media) or using Mpeg Streamclip (as discussed elsewhere on the forums) to convert to DV AVI and create a project in Pre El. Burn to a folder, and then use your dvd burning software to burn another disc?
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed May 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Also, some DVD Players just won't play burned DVDs, how many DVD players has your friend tried to play it on?

The slideshow could actually be a VCD or SVCD, or even just a WMV, MOV or AVI file on the DVD as data, not an actual burned DVD video. That would also explain why it plays on the computer and not the DVD player. If that is the case there are very few DVD players that will play the raw files but they could be turned into a movie and burned to a DVD with Premiere Elements or similar program.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Wed May 14, 2008 2:36 pm

I think the DVD player isn't the problem because I tried them in mine too. As for disc types, one is a Fujifilm DVD+R and the other is a Memorex DVD-R.

So it sounds like I can fix it very simply by importing it into PE3 and burning to DVD as I do with my own creations, right?
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed May 14, 2008 2:42 pm

That is probably your best option, those Memorex DVDs are terrible and the player might not like +R DVDs either.
I would stick to a good brand of -R media burned at as slow a speed as possible.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri May 16, 2008 6:48 am

videolady wrote:She has no idea how it was made but wants to know if I can fix it. I'm wondering if these clues help determine how it was created. When I check on Properties>General>Type, it says CD Drive (even though I have it in a CD/DVD Drive) and >File System says CDFS.

In this case I would rule out that it is a true DVD. CDFS stands for Compact Disc File System. When I put a DVD in and run the same check, it says file system unknown. An MPEG file or a SVCD is more likely. If it plays on the PC then it means that you have the proper decoder loaded and can most likely use the file in PrEl. When looking at the disc using Windows Explorer, do you see directories called "Audio_TS" or "Video_TS"? These are required for a true DVD.

HTH,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri May 16, 2008 11:39 am

I would copy the VIDEO_TS and everything inside it from the DVD to your hard drive. Then use a 3rd-party application to burn the VIDEO_TS folder to a new DVD as a DVD-Video. If you used Nero Burning ROM, you would use the DVD-Video template. The DVD your friend was given was probably burned as a plain data DVD. Some newer DVD players know how to play those back, but older DVD players won't.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Joanne » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:13 pm

This is a great forum. I have a similar question and it sounds like PE3 would be a good app to convert the movie to a DVD watchable on a DVD player. The one I'm trying to convert is one my sister made with a bunch of old movies. They are playable on the computer, but just get an error on the DVD players.

I have a couple additional questions. Would converting them with PE3 allow them to play on a Blu-Ray disc player? The Blue Ray plays regular DVD's but I'm wondering if there is anything else to consider.

Is PE3 the best program to use? Is it fairly easy? I use Photoshop Elements and in the beginning found that it had a learning curve with layers and such but I love using it now. I bought Pinnacle Studio Plus version 12 after a guy at the store told me it would do what I wanted to do, but after reading all the reviews on previous versions over at amazon.com I'm thinking that maybe trusting the guys at Best Buy for info wasn't such a good idea.
Joanne
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:44 pm

Hi Joanne, Welcome to Muvipix :)

One thing about burned DVDs is that sometime they won't play on a DVD player.
It depends a lot on the type and brand of DVD, as well as what program was used to burn it.

Premiere Elements should be able to get the footage off of the DVD and then burn another one.
It would not be burned to a Blu-Ray disc but rather onto a standard DVD. It may be possible to play a standard DVD on a Blu-Ray player, I am not sure.

You can download the trial and see what you think, there is plent of help here when and if you need it :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:46 pm

And here is a nice topic on what brands of DVDs to use along with some other tips for burning
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=273

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Joanne » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:04 am

Thanks for the quick reply, Chuck. I never realized there were so many problems with the brand of DVD. I thought they would be like CD's which while not all of the same quality, will play on any player. Maybe technology just hasn't progressed that far with the DVD's.

I need to do some more reading here. This looks interesting. Maybe I'll try to transfer some movies from the camcorder to a DVD. I still need to research what type of editor/burner software to use. Are there any that you've used personally that you could recommend?
Joanne
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:24 am

The majority of the members here use Premiere Elements exclusively to capture and edit video, and also to burn DVDs.
There are some members that have moved to Premiere Pro for editing and Encore DVD for DVD Authoring, but not too many.
If you want to be able to use the amazing resources and help available here then Premiere Elements is the best choice.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Joanne » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:46 pm

Thanks, Chuck. That makes it an easy choice then. I'll take the Pinnacle app back to Best Buy and exchange or just take it back and buy PE online. There was someone on amazon.com that reviewed Pinnacle and said that the program expired after 2 years, that it just stopped working. Isn't that bizarre? According to this person it is noted in the fine print, inside the package. Here's a link to the review. It's the one by P T, you have to scroll down a bit. amazon.com
Joanne
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:22 pm

Joanne wrote: There was someone on amazon.com that reviewed Pinnacle and said that the program expired after 2 years, that it just stopped working. Isn't that bizarre? According to this person it is noted in the fine print, inside the package. Here's a link to the review. It's the one by P T, you have to scroll down a bit. amazon.com

Is that really true? I can't believe a company would do that!
Peru

Postby mark hansen » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:20 pm

That two years thing is interesting. I sudently started having problems with my P9 about the 2 year mark in the form of just wouldn't capture any more. One week everything was fine and about a week later (as I recall) I couldn't capture. One late night after many frustrations and Google searches... I came across this place and decided to go with PE3.

I'll check with my son, he says his P9 stopped burning a while ago. he can capture the edited version back to tape and I capture it with my PE3 to burn it.

That sure does sound silly though - stops working after two years..
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Next

Return to DVD Authoring