They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to Burn as an AVI Format

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

How to Burn as an AVI Format

Postby videolady » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:25 pm

This is probably a stupid question, but I have a short video I burned using PE3 and I am confused as to what format it is (prel?). Anyway, I want to put it on Facebook but Facebook doesn't recognize this format so I want to make it AVI (or WMV). The only software I have is PE3 and Nero8 Ultra.

I thought I was following the right instructions in PE3 to end up with an AVI format copy by doing this:
I took my archived (trimmed) disc and opened it in PE3. Then I saved it as an AVI file, closed it, opened a new project and imported this AVI version, then used File>Export>Export to DVD. But I'm not sure what format I have. (I am not the person putting it on Facebook so I haven't tested it myself but I'd like to know before I give it to the other person so I'm not wasting their time with it.)

So, do I now have an AVI copy? If not, can someone point me in the right direction to make one?

Thanks,

Karen
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: How to Burn as an AVI Format

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:02 pm

Try File/Export/Windows Media
Use the DSL/Cable default setting.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jackfalbey » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:01 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Try File/Export/Windows Media
Use the DSL/Cable default setting.

After you do that, you will have a WMV file on your hard drive. You can then use Nero to create a data disc on a DVD or CD (depending on the file size) with that WMV file. The DVD/CD will not play on a DVD player, but your friend will be able to put it in their computer and copy the WMV file to upload to facebook. You could also do the same thing with a thumb drive, portable hard drive, or flash media.

Also, when you choose File>Export>Export to DVD, Premiere encodes (converts) the video to VOB, which is the variation of MPEG2 that DVD players recognize. It is most likely not compatible with Facebook. A 5-minute AVI will be 1GB in size, which is much too large for the internet. WMV is definitely your best bet.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby videolady » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:13 pm

Excellent instructions and explanation. I have a wmv file on my flash drive ready to give the girl on Monday! Thanks a bunch.

Karen
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to DVD Authoring