They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Which Codec to use?

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Which Codec to use?

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:56 pm

I am using another package to access some transitions that I do not have in PrEl3. I imagine it could do it if I had the time and knowledge. But I decided to use the other package and export as AVI. My choices are:

Full Frames, uncompressed
Cinepak Codec by Radius
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V1
Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2
PicVideo M-JPeg 3 VfW Codec
Microsoft Video 1
Inel Indeo(R) Video R3.2
Intel IYUV codec
Microsoft RLE

Which one gives the best output and less likely to cause PrEl grief? The program could output MPG but I thought AVI was the preferred workflow.

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Which Codec to use?

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:08 pm

I would try the Uncompressed option, just remember that video from other editing applications likes to give Premiere Elements headaches, and its users as well. Using uncompressed AVI will work in Premiere Elements but you will have to render the clips.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:08 am

Chuck Engels wrote:I would try the Uncompressed option, just remember that video from other editing applications likes to give Premiere Elements headaches, and its users as well. Using uncompressed AVI will work in Premiere Elements but you will have to render the clips.

Chuck,
Tried the uncompressed option. The video was striped and the audio was screeching. Not sure what to do with that. I thought AVI uncompressed would work the best, but maybe there are some settings that need adjustment. Any ideas? I tried exporting to JPEG and Premiere seemed to like that ok. I know I will lose some quality, but not sure how much.

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:39 am

M-JPEG... you can set the quality/compression level of the M-JPEG... should be some sort of configure option somewhere. Just set it to highest quality. M-JPEG is not so bad, but many folks have problems using it in PE3 as sometimes the video appears black because PE3 can not access the M-JPEG codec.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:36 pm

Paul LS wrote:M-JPEG... you can set the quality/compression level of the M-JPEG... should be some sort of configure option somewhere. Just set it to highest quality. M-JPEG is not so bad, but many folks have problems using it in PE3 as sometimes the video appears black because PE3 can not access the M-JPEG codec.

Paul,
I may have mistyped in my last post. It was quite late last night and I was trying to get something useable for today. The program allowed me to export in MPG. I am not quite sure it is the same thing. I will look for future learning. However, the DVD came out looking good to me. It was not pixellated and PrEl seemed to handle it without any issues.

Any idea which of the AVI Codecs to use or should I install another one that would work correctly?

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:17 pm

What is the other program you are using? Ideally you want to use DV-AVI, PE3 works with DV-AVI natively. You could try to install the free Panansonic DV codec: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Pan ... _Codec.htm
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:04 pm

Paul LS wrote:What is the other program you are using? Ideally you want to use DV-AVI, PE3 works with DV-AVI natively. You could try to install the free Panansonic DV codec: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Pan ... _Codec.htm

Paul,
Did you see my list of available Codecs at the beginning of the thread? Are any of those usable,or should I add the Panasonic Codec also? The program Memories On TV can export both AVI or MPG. I used MPG to get by today's hurdle, but was wondering what the long term fix should be?

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:25 am

The best solution and long term fix is to install the Panasonic DV codec. Once installed it appears in the available codec list in Memories on TV. This will give significantely better quality when exporting from PE3 and will avoid any headaches common with working with MPEG files in PE3.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to DVD Authoring