They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Typical file size of a video file

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Typical file size of a video file

Postby imsam67 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi,

I realize this question is impossible to answer correctly but let me give you some parameters so that you can give me a ball park.

Let's say, the video is shot at 1080i on a camcorder and it's 5 min in length. It will be processed in PrE 8 and the output will be 1280x720 in HD and will be used on the web (say YouTube). Can you give me a ball park for this video file size?

I'm currently coming up with files sizes in the ball park of 750MB. I talk to some people and tell them my file size is larger than 500MB and they look at me like I've said something outrages. Clearly, large files are troublesome -- starting with the upload, then processing, then bandwidth and the list goes on. Someone mentioned a file size no larger than 50MB.

Where should I be? In the 50MB zone? In the 250MB zone? In the 500MB+ zone?

I realize there are so many factors that affect the final output and would love someone to give me some pointers on which levers I should bring down to make the final file size smaller.

Thanks,

Sam
imsam67
New User
New User

Re: Typical file size of a video file

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:46 am

imsam67 wrote:...the video is shot at 1080i on a camcorder and it's 5 min in length. It will be processed in PrE 8 and the output will be 1280x720 in HD......... Can you give me a ball park for this video file size?

Hi Sam, welcome to Muvipix. To find the file size just calculate the bitrate x running time.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Re: Typical file size of a video file

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:34 am

The file size should probably be around 360 MB for 5 minutes of 1280x720p 30fps AVC/h.264, bitrate 10Mbps, audio AAC audio.

After clicking the Share button, select Mobile Phones and Players.
For Preset, select ipod - iphone High Quality.
Next click the Advanced button. Note that below the Advanced button is some information showing what the file size will be (more or less).

On the Multiplexer tab, select these items:

On the Video Tab, select these items, starting with "Level. Change that to 4.0 first then change the other items:

You control the file size by adjusting the bitrate slider.

There's a bug with the bitrate slider. Once you set the bitrate slider and click OK, you can't come back and change the bitrate slider to something else. What happens is the bitrate will go back to the previous setting AFTER you click OK. You'll need to start from where you select the preset, "ipod and iphone - High Quality."

The 10 Mbps bitrate came from a template in Sony Vegas Pro for a similar preset. I tried lower presets around 1 and 5 Mbps but that didn't look to good.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Tips and Tricks