They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

YouTube settings?

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

YouTube settings?

Postby Briantho » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:09 am

With a major family event due to happen soon I'm charged up and ready to take a few minutes of video, upload it and send the link to my entire address book.

I just did a search around here for 'Youtube' and there was no reference in the awesome "Wiki" file either so my question is: what have people here found to be the optimum settings for uploading to Youtube?
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ed » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:33 am

I use Quicktime H.264 at

29.97 frame rate (I think that's it, but just use whatever DV is)
60 keyframes
AAC stereo sound at better or best setting (128 khz I think)
de-interlaced video
set the video dimensions to the same size as the player

I use Quicktime Pro for this, but you can get the same settings from MPEG Streamclip. Not sure about APE, because I don't use it to export this format. If you're worried about file size you can reduce the framerate to 24, and change the sound to mono. In fact, I believe youtube changes all sound to mono when it encodes to Flash.

Also, check out vimeo.com. I think the quality of the video encoding is much better then youtube. With vimeo I set the video dimensions at 400 x 300.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Briantho » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:27 am

Thanks Ed. It's obviously time I had a good look at Quicktime! :)
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:47 am

Why not upload your video here Brian, it stays in whatever format you use, no conversion like the other sites.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:12 pm

Great idea Chuck, thanks! All the same, I suppose my PAL 16:9 exported AVI file would have to be 'set' in some way or do I actually upload the few minutes as they are?
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:05 pm

I think there is a file size limit, Ron mentioned it before. Somewhere around 75mb I think. What size is the file?

I always use the default 320 x 240 WMV export, it seems to work very well. Or as Ed suggest you can still export as MOV, that way it is easier for someone with a MAC to view.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:31 am

Chuck Engels wrote:I think there is a file size limit, Ron mentioned it before. Somewhere around 75mb I think. What size is the file?

I always use the default 320 x 240 WMV export, it seems to work very well. Or as Ed suggest you can still export as MOV, that way it is easier for someone with a MAC to view.

That's great - it'll only be a few minutes fo the limit won't be an issue. Thanks for the tip on MOV :)
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:41 am

Carefull Brian, Dv-AVI is 220MB per minute... If the upload limit is 75MB that would be 20 secs...
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:56 am

Paul LS wrote:Carefull Brian, Dv-AVI is 220MB per minute... If the upload limit is 75MB that would be 20 secs...

Ah, good point, thanks Paul!
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:52 am

My point is that you can use any of the standard formats, including FLV, and the video will not be recompressed or converted to another format.

Paul is correct, you will not want to use AVI but MOV, FLV, WMV will all work and look great at the default DSL setting. Just export the video in any of the compressed formats and upload, no changes will be made on our end.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:53 am

I was reading that Apple is converting all the Flash videos on YouTube to h.264 format so the YouTube videos can be played on the Apple TV.

Is that a blow to Adobe?
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Tips and Tricks