They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

framing around pics/video?

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

framing around pics/video?

Postby kelvindodd » Thu May 17, 2007 12:50 pm

Ok, so I've seen some great effects round these parts. Some of which I have no idea how to replicate. I hope this thread doesn't get too longwinded or boring for all the pro's out there...

But my question is, how do I put a stationary frame around a pic/video, while still allowing me to zoom/pan on the pic alone. It seems like a matte procedure, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I also thought I could create a black frame with a center cutout in photoshop, but I'm also pretty inept at PS as well.

Anybody feel like taking it?
kelvindodd
New User
New User

Postby kelvindodd » Thu May 17, 2007 12:54 pm

Beth, I just watched your video again and saw you used this effect in Isaac's bday video. Matter of fact, you used this effect to place 4 frames around one video track...very cool.

Just thought I'd mention it!
kelvindodd
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu May 17, 2007 1:08 pm

I'll get the ball rolling and let others fill in the blanks :)

There are a couple of ways to accomplish this. In Photoshop Elements create a blank file with any color background you like. Use the cookie cutter to cut out a section in whatever shape you like. You then need to add a new layer, inverse the selection and delete. Save the file and import into Premiere Elements putting it on a track above your still image.
I explain this in detail in the PSE4 and PE2 All In One book, I will get the exact instructions later and post them here.

Another option is to place a color matte on a track below your image. You can resize the color matte and your image to whatever size you like. You can then zoom the image without effecting the matte on the track below.

Then there are some presets that I think Beth has available for her famous snapshot effect :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Maxine370 » Thu May 17, 2007 3:32 pm

Another trick which is a bit different is to put the white border around a pic (to make it look like a snapshot) and then the crop tool with zoom to zoom in of the parts you want. The trick is to make sure you put crop first, make sure zoom is checked off on all keyframes and make it an even height to width crop. Then you can put a white clip of around 3% on all sides.

In the video I added the relicate effect to my matte to make it 4 frames.
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby kelvindodd » Thu May 17, 2007 7:47 pm

Thanks Beth. Pardon my lack of understanding, but I need some more help...

When I put an even crop around a pic and try to zoom in/out, it zooms in/out the entire thing, including the clip.

I think I see how applying the crop and clip of different colors creates a frame. But I'm still at a loss how you keep it from moving when panning/zooming.

Chuck, I obviously got the wrong book. I just have the PE book only. Looks like I need a photoshop lesson or two. I have CS2 and I've never seen a 'cookie cutter'...
kelvindodd
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 18, 2007 8:48 am

Sorry I didn't get the details posted last night but it might not help if you have CS2 anyway, the instructions are for Photoshop Elements.

There must be a way to cut a shape into a graphic with CS2, isn't there?

After cutting the shape the shape area is selected, you then need to Invert the selection so everything but the shape is selected and then Delete. This will delete the shape making it transparent.

There are 100s of shapes you can cut into a graphic with the cookie cutter in Photoshop Elements.

Beth, I agree that a little more explanation is required for what you are trying to explain, I am not even sure I understand it :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Tips and Tricks