They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Gradient Wipes

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Gradient Wipes

Postby Maxine370 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:13 pm

So I've uploaded a few custom made gradients to use with the Gradient Wipe transition.

I'd love to see some from the Muvipix folks and other members as well.

Anyone who can do one that simulates blocks tosses in, would love it.

=P~
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Maxine370 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:15 pm

Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Maxine370 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:37 pm

I'd like to see some more so

BUMP!
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:03 pm

I have a couple, I'll post 'em tomorrow... I have one that Iused for the broken glass effect for puck hits glass and I played around with a few others.
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ric » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:00 am

Beth I was looking at you gradient wipes but how do you use them? Where do I download them to make them work? Do you have a sample of how they work? Just no sure how to use them and were to install them. Thanks for you help.
Ric
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Maxine370 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:28 am

First download these three to your computer.

To use gradient wipes you need apply the gradient wipe transisitons between 2 clips. When you do it should ask you to choose your picture if not you can go to properties and click custom.

You can choose any picture you want from a location on your computer (so remember where you dropped these) and the wipe will follow the pattern of the picture. The beauty of the gradient wipe is it makes your options for transitions endless. I sometimes use the same picture that it just transitioned from (you can see this in Isaac's Birthday video part 2 in the gallery along with many other gradient wipe transitions).

What's nice is you can also adjust the softness so you can have a hard edged or soft feathery wipe.

Harry's grads has a load of gradients you can download for free too.

http://www.thepluginsite.com/products/h ... /index.htm

Check it out.
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:46 am

When I first started playing with gradient wipes, the key thing I learned is that the gradient wipe is basically a way to control a wipe to reveal the next clip however you want. The psd or image that you create to be used in the gradient wipe transition basically uses the black gray and white values to determine what should be revealed and when. So for my transition in puck hits glass I wanted a hard edge, but I didn't want them happen all at once. I wanted them to reveal through the duration of the gradient to give the effect that the pieces were falling to reveal the picture underneath.

Beth's right it's endless. The number of transitions is only limited to your imagination.
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:51 am

I had to post a link to this over at the Adobe Forum, it is too good not to share :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ric » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:53 am

Thanks Beth,

I wasn't sure if they were to be installed or placed in a certain PE3 folder like the gradient wipes that come pre installed in Premier. So with these files you can add them to your project and then just place them between 2 pictures and away you go. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Ric
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:28 pm

Maxine370 wrote:To use gradient wipes you need apply the gradient wipe transisitons between 2 clips. When you do it should ask you to choose your picture if not you can go to properties and click custom.

You can choose any picture you want from a location on your computer (so remember where you dropped these) and the wipe will follow the pattern of the picture.

You need to apply the Gradient Wipe Transition to one of the clips, in the transition properties you select the image to use.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Wheat King » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:02 pm

So here's a vid with some experiments I've done with gradient wipes.
http://www.muvipix.com/cpg/displayi ... p?pos=-727

I've uploaded a few of the gradients as well.
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:50 am

Wow Wheat King! Hope you will leave that vid up for a long time, so I can refer back. The first one with the words...is this two tracks of stills and a title cut out with the wipe applied to the first still and a wipe applied to the title clip? Think that would be good as a transition in my tennis project with the school name.

There is a transition in the Isaac video that looks like a bright light that starts in the center and transitions outward. Is this a gradient wipe?

Thanks for sharing Beth & Wheat King!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Wheat King » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:00 am

momoffduty wrote:Wow Wheat King! Hope you will leave that vid up for a long time, so I can refer back. The first one with the words...is this two tracks of stills and a title cut out with the wipe applied to the first still and a wipe applied to the title clip? Think that would be good as a transition in my tennis project with the school name.

Actually it's two gradients in one file. You can easily recreate it in photoshop elemetns or some other program.

If you want I can put the instuctions up tonight but basically I but a black to white gradient on the text and a black to white gradient on the background but in reverse.
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:41 am

Thnx Wheat King. I will try it today and let you know if I need more instructions. I went back and looked at your 'Ten Title Challenge' and I think the look of the words popping up in the tennis intro would be similar to the first in the Ten Title, the Polar Coordinates, where the sphere is holding down the words.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:32 pm

Wheat King, tried and I do need help. This is what I have so far:

Track 3= (Title) (Gradient wipe/vertical black to white)

Track 2 = (Pic showing thru cut out letters) (track matte - properties matte set at track 3)

Track 1 = (Background pic) (Gradient wipe/vertical white to black)

Problem, Opening gradient does not show up and the end gradient shows a black square and not the pic on track 2. I have all tracks beginning together on time line. Track 1 finishes first, then track 3, then track 2.

Guess I am missing something. :???: Thanks.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks