They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

FLV Playback in WMP, Premiere Elements, etc.

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

FLV Playback in WMP, Premiere Elements, etc.

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:40 pm

I found it possible to playback Flash video, the one with FLV1 as the FOURCC, in Windows Media Player and even in Premiere Elements.

First you need an FLV Splitter. You can download that from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=205650. The one you want is named FLVSplitter_20080127.zip. After downloading, you unzip it, then you have to register the .ax file using REGSVR32. You can do that by going Start > Run and then typing REGSVR32 "C:\your download folder\FLVSplitter.ax". Alternatively, if you have the Windows Essential Codec Pack, that has the FLV Splitter under the Containers category when you install it. The .ax will be registered automatically. You get the WECP from http://www.mediacodec.org/.

Then you need the FFDShow package. http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=173941. You want the latest stable generic beta release, ffdshow_beta5_rev2033_20080705_clsid.exe. After installation you need to go Start > All Programs > ffdshow > Audio Decoder Configuration, then enable MP3. To enable the Flash codec you go Start > All Programs > ffdshow > Video Decoder Configuration, and enable FLV1.

Now you should be able to play back FLV files in Windows Media Player 11, and import FLV files into Premiere Elements 4.0. Premiere Elements uses it own MP3 decoder, but Windows Media Player will use the one enabled in FFDShow. If you check the OSD option in FFDShow, information about the file will be displayed during playback. That is useful to check if FFDShow is being used for decoding in Premiere Elements.

Premiere Elements will not import files with the .FLV extension, so just change the .FLV to .AVI.

When installing FFDShow, I accepted the default options on the first screen -- there will be only two items selected. But later when presented with a long list of codecs, I unchecked everything. After that was an inclusion list of applications to use with FFDShow. I checked the option to not exclude any application; there's one screen for audio and one for video.

FFDShow also has a DV codec that you can use instead of using the Panasonic Codec. When selecting which codec to use for compression in VirtualDub, for example, you select FFDShow Video Codec, then click the Configure button, then select DV as the encoder from the dropdown list. You will be using a Video for Windows codec, not a DirectShow codec, FYI.

EDIT (Jan 8, 2009): The link to the FLVSplitter download has been changed and is now linked to the Matroski Splitter, which also works. You do not need to manually register the splitter with Regsvr32. On another note, in addition to enabling FLV1 in FFDShow, you may want to try enabling VP6F (On2) just in case FLV1 doesn't work. Some Flash is h.264. Having a good media info utility to tell you what codecs are in the FLV file can help you match the fourCCs listed in FFDShow.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: FLV Playback in WMP, Premiere Elements, etc.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:43 pm

Another gem, Robert!

I've taken the liberty to making this post a "sticky" for this topic.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:55 pm

I knew there would be something that I forgot to mention.

Premiere Elements will not import files with the .FLV extension, so just change the .FLV to .AVI.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby mark hansen » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:35 pm

I'm posting this here because my question is regarding ffdshow.
I've been reading though a few posts up here and came across HDV Split for capturing my HDV tapes. I get the following error in the error window...

ERROR: HDVSPlit can't find MPEG1 audio decoder. Try to install and configure ffdshow.
Audio is turned off.

I searched the forum for Ffion and found this thread...
I then downloaded ffdshow and installed it per above (I think) I re-ran HDV Split and get the same error. I reinstalled ffdshow and got the same error.

How do I set up a MPEG1 audio decoder so HDV Split will pull the audio when it captures.

Thanks,
Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:51 pm

Can't help with the HDVSplit part, but for FFDShow audio see if your settings are like the ones in the attached images.

To open the ffdshow audio interface go Start > All Programs > FFDshow > Audio Decoder Configuration

On the Codecs properties page make sure both the MPEG-1 audo codecs are enabled:

Snagit FFDShow Audio Codecs MPEG-1.jpg
(Click to enlarge)

On the DirectShow properties page uncheck the box that limits which applications can use FFDshow:

Snagit FFDShow Audio DirectShow control MPEG-1.jpg
(Click to enlarge)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby mark hansen » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:35 pm

Thanks RJ... that did it, now to figure out about the rest of the stuff... its all one step at a time.
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:17 am

There is another FFDShow flash video codec that I missed. It is listed in the format column in FFDShow as VP6F. So enable that one as well. If you don't, and you try to import a Flash file that was created with the VP6 codec instead of the Sorenson Spark codec, you get an error message that the audio rate is not supported, and the import fails.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby gruff » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:40 am

Thanks for this post. After hours of struggling with broken codecs and learning more about them I ever wanted to know, I've succeeded in getting FLVs to play in windows media player thanks to your help (renamed to .avi) , but they still won't import to to Premiere Elements (v10). OSD confirms WMP is using ffdshow. I installed k-lite full codec pack.

Premiere complains about "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."

Not sure whether it's the video or audio or both it can't handle, but your post seemed to imply it used its own codecs so is ffdshow relevant?

The media info for the file is:

Video
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L2.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=12
Codec ID : 7
Duration : 12s 930ms
Width : 560 pixels
Height : 240 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 24.053 fps
Original frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive

Audio
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 10
Duration : 13s 444ms
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gruff
gruff
New User
New User

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Gruff, in FFDShow Directshow Video module, try enabling the h.264/AVC codec, and in the audio module try enabling the AAC codec. Good luck.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Tips and Tricks