They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Need help fixing poor audio

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Need help fixing poor audio

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:54 pm

I recently did some green screen filming for my church's cantata. The video turned out great but my lavaliere mic was broken and all I had to work with was the shotgun mic on the camera. Translation; the audio is very bad.

I've used the noise removal within FCPX and it helped, but it is still bad. The noise removal tends to make the voice sound robotic but at least it minimized the background noise (fan).

Here are samples of what I'm talking about. Here is the raw audio:
voice_raw.mp3

And here is the edited audio:
voice_edited.mp3

Any ideas on how to improve this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Need help fixing poor audio

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:13 am

Here's the denoise effect in audacity.
voice_denoised.mp3

You could also try denoising and boosting the bass.
voice_denoised_bassboost.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:41 am

It is a little time consuming but I would suggest that you make a few tracks of the audio and layer them in the video that way you can compare and tweak each track a bit and try to mix them together. You might start with the parametric EQ. This effect lets you dial into the exact frequency and filter accordingly. By having multiple tracks you can use the parametric on each track if there are more than one area you want to adjust. Notch filter works well too. It is a bit time intense because unless you know what the offending frequency is, you need to play around with the settings to find the right frequency.

I am not sure if it is a stereo recording but if it is you can also do a fill right, fill left on a track of the audio. This will create a mono track with some phase cancellation that can help clear up the audio.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:13 pm

Thanks guys, this helps a bunch. Let me play in Audacity and see what I can come up with.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tips and Tricks