They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Sliders or tracking dollies?

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Sliders or tracking dollies?

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:32 am

Ciao,

I am explorating the world of sliders... "caro", I would say in Italian, which means a precious and desirable thing as well as an expensive one...

I don't know neither if it is the right section nor if there is also an answer elsewhere.

I wonder if a tracking dolly

http://www.cameragrip.com/hague-d5t-camera-tripod-tracking-dolly-kit/

could be a comfortable alternative for a beginner who works alone without a staff and if Konova sliders are so reliable as they are reviewed.

Some say that even a 3 feets (1 meter) long slider is hard to transport and manage and a short one (80 cms. (for example) is fine for DSLRs.

What do you think, please?

A Konova K2 1 long meter slider costs around $ 300,00, a K3 series $ 440,00,
a Manfrotto ball head 0529H costs $ 135,80.
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Sliders or tracking dollies?

Postby sidd finch » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:40 pm

Depending on your application The slider would be much easier to use and transport.

The tracking dolly would need level ground the length of the rail's. Not sure where you plan to record at but any kind of uneven surface would be problematic.

The slider can be attached to a tripod (or 2 tripods) and used in many more locations that are uneven that a tracking dolly would not work.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:10 pm

A commercial tracking dolly like the one you linked to is, imho, overkill for a beginner. That type is called a tripod dolly. With that type of dolly, you can use very long rails when you want the camera to move a long distance. Because the tripod base needs to be large, you really need a minimum of 2 metre long rails. It's going to be difficult to transport unless you have a van or truck. If you want to experiment with one, why not make your own using inexpensive PVC pipe. There are many diy videos and plans detailing how to do it.

If you only need to move 1 metre or less, a slider is a much more reasonable way to do it. You can use it on a table top or other surface or attach it to your tripod. It's lighter and more easily transported. I'd recommend that you start with a slider.

Both types are going to need practice to move the camera smoothly.
Bob

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:45 pm

I agree and - I must say - I appreciated a lot your comfortable and clear opinion.
The most worrying thought was - in effect - how to adapt the rails of the tracking dolly to the ground and how many times I may find impossible to use it.

It seems that a 80 cm. or 1 mt slider with a ball head (which is less expensive than I remembered) could be an interesting start.

The most challenging aspect is - perhaps - getting familiar with the right smooth movement of the camera.

Do you think that a 80 cm. slider is too limited?
Some say the 120 cm. starts to bend far before the end.

Thank you very much

Francesco
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:26 pm

Francesco, Take a look at this discussion from last year regarding the 80cm slider. I think you'll find the 80cc slider will be quite adequate.
Bob

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:44 pm

Thanks Bob :-5 ,

I was looking for an oldest discussion (I was sure that there were one or more) among the topics but I wasn't able to find anything.
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tips and Tricks