They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Newbie Premiere Elements 12 question

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Newbie Premiere Elements 12 question

Postby Temp User » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:16 am

Hey guys, newbie here. I am working on a project that requires closed captioning (not subtitling). I'm primarily a Graphic Artist who has taken on video as a hobby but it's starting to become more a part of my regular work schedule doing simple product videos and promo videos. I started with using a mix of Apple iPhoto/iMovie and Keynote to get the videos I wanted but my full time employer won't support Apple Macintosh so I'm over to Windows. I'm transitioning now to Adobe Premiere Elements 12 and the projects that I'm working on, the customer requires WCAG 2.0 compliant closed captioning and I was wondering if there is any way of doing that in Premiere Elements or is that only available in Premiere CC?

Thanks for your help!
Temp User
New User
New User

Re: Newbie Premiere Elements 12 question

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi, Vincent. Welcome to Muvipix!

There is no way to add Closed Captioning in Premiere Elements -- if by Closed Captioning you mean optional subtitles that you can turn off and on.

About the least expensive program I know that does this is CyberLink PowerDirector, a program we offer tutorials and books for on our site. The Ultra version is a remarkable value at $75 (marked down this week from its usual $99).

You can find out more about this terrific little video editor on its web site.
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/power ... en_US.html

And you can find some tutorials for it and information about our books on this page:
http://muvipix.com/cpd12.php
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Welcome Vincent to Muvipix! The tuts here are wonderful. The help on the forum is good too!

:wcm:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:11 am

Welcome to Muvipix, Vincent. :meet:

Closed Captions is a topic I've been interested in and I'm sure a search on the topic here would bring up my frustrations.

If I remember correctly, Premiere Pro Cloud is CC capable. I think there will be some links here to demos.

CC can be done with Premiere Pro CS6, which I have, and a program called Movie Captioner, but I'm not positive the particular version you employer/client wants can be done with Movie Captioner.

Apparently most people hire firms that specialize in creating Closed Captions and it is quite expensive.

I'm surprised to hear that there is an inexpensive video editing program that can create CC. I um, don't want to contradict Steve... after all, he wrote the book!!! but I looked at the CyberLink Power Director site today and I didn't see CC as a feature in any of the versions.

Steve, are you sure? I'd definitely be interested since I have to go through so many hoops now.

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:46 am

PowerDirector does support closed captioning but in a limited way. You can manually create captions in the Subtitle module. If you render out to a DVD, the subtitles are soft captions (i.e. closed captions), they can be turned on or off by the player. If you render out to a video file, they are hard captions, burned into the video and always displayed. However, PowerDirector does give you the option to export the subtitles/captions to a SRT format file. That text file contains the time, duration, and text for each caption.

Once you have a SRT file containing the caption information, you can use it to add closed captions to the video using another program, such as Handbrake, that can add a subtitle stream to a file format such as MP4 which supports it. Not all players will support the caption stream. VLC will allow the user to select one and play it, Windows Media Play requires a plugin. If uploading to YouTube, you can upload the video without the caption stream and upload the SRT file for YouTube to use for the Closed Captioning. HTML5 contains features that allow a separate closed caption file to be associated with a video. However, not all browsers are HTML5 compliant so your audience will be narrowed. HTML uses a different format (WebVTT) for the closed captioning file, but it's easy to convert SRT to WebVTT.

Any subtitle/caption software that creates an SRT file can be used. I wouldn't buy PowerDirector just for that capability. You can output your video from Premiere Elements as H.264 MP4.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:59 am

I guess it all depends on your budget, what format you plan to output your finished video as and how you plan to use it, Vincent.

But indeed PowerDirector is an affordable solution if you're looking for an editor that can add subtitles that can be turned on or off on the DVD or BluRay's menu. (In fact, I'm working on a tutorial for it now, and we'll be releasing it with our next batch of Muvipix tutorials.)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Steve and Bob, thanks. You guys are brilliant! I learn so much here. Wish I had more knowledge to share, but with y'all around, I need to hide in the corner.

I've downloaded the trial of Power Director. I noticed something in the acceptance clause that concerns me:

"*USAGE RESTRICTION
You agree to use the SOFTWARE solely for personal and non-commercial purpose. You also acknowledge that no rights are granted or may be extended to you to use the SOFTWARE with MPEG-4 Video Content unless such MPEG-4 Content is sold or delivered to you by a content outlet licensed under the MPEG-4 Essential Claims to make such sale or delivery."

If this means I cannot use this software to create subtitles/ closed captions on any material I might sell, then I can't use it. Does anyone know if this is only for the trial version?

I created two YouTube versions of a short video. The first one has captions/subtitles embedded in the video that cannot be turned off. Lots of options for using fonts on your own computer, changing font size and position and colors.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx6uuSBTldw[/youtube]

For the second, I figured out how to export the .srt file and saved it to my desktop, then deleted all subtitles/captions in the video, then uploaded that to YouTube. After the video was published I watched it to check that it was indeed without subtitles, and it was.

I then managed to figure out how to upload the .srt file, although at the moment I couldn't tell you how I did it.

Formatting options are deleted, but the subtitles via added .srt file are easy to read, that is, on my viewing, they appear to me as sans serif.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glVLCHfSuO4[/youtube]

Power Director gives you the ability to edit when and where a subtitle begins and ends. I previously tried YouTube's 'add your own' subtitles and I did not figure out a way to have the subtitles show up exactly when I wanted them to. Sometimes you have pauses when no one is speaking. It is really distracting to have the subtitles out of sync with a person's voice.

Here is a demo of how to use Movie Captioner that explains the process pretty well and it is great because you can listen to what is being said and go back as many times as you need to get it typed and correct spelling errors, etc.

My biggest complaint about Movie Captioner is that it would not accept my files because they are too large. I've had to render and downsize quality two or more times and convert to QuickTime to get them accepted by Movie Captioner. I had to buy the pro version of Quick Time to get that to work, too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh3UegeqZeQ[/youtube]
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:25 pm

That is a troubling usage restriction, Paz! I've never heard of software with that kind of restriction before. I expect someone who better understands it will follow up -- but I'd expect this restriction has to do with the generic MPEG2 package the program uses. Otherwise, I can't imagine that someone is going to recognize a particle effect you used in some professional video for hire and send Interpol looking for you.

But maybe I'm not getting something.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:16 pm

The OP seems a little suspicious. I'll give this another day or 2, then rename the user & keep the topic - good info here.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:13 pm

_Paz_ wrote:
"*USAGE RESTRICTION
You agree to use the SOFTWARE solely for personal and non-commercial purpose. You also acknowledge that no rights are granted or may be extended to you to use the SOFTWARE with MPEG-4 Video Content unless such MPEG-4 Content is sold or delivered to you by a content outlet licensed under the MPEG-4 Essential Claims to make such sale or delivery."

This may be in reference to the H.264 encoding. Your camera manual may have the same notice.
Read this blog:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/04/know ... g-and-you/
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:12 am

This may be in reference to the H.264 encoding. Your camera manual may have the same notice.
Read this blog:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/04/know ... g-and-you/

Oh.

Who knew? Using any camera that uses this format too? wow

I skimmed over the agreement for Power Director 12 and now believe the non commercial use applies to the trial and the educational versions, as far as that goes. Additional licenses to all these other companies looks like a can of worms that may spill over at some future date.

FWIW, I took the same footage above into Premiere Pro, downgraded it to a QuickTime Pro files, opened it in Movie Captioner, and could go along and add captions... but I could not view/test it in the preview panel. It is completely black. I can't see if I have a typo or if the words are in the right time. It's been a while since I've created captions. I think I had to downgrade at least twice in order to be able to see the preview screen. That's a lot of computer processing in Premiere Pro before you can get started.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:49 am

Any subtitle/caption software that creates an SRT file can be used. I wouldn't buy PowerDirector just for that capability.

Is there a specific program you would recommend, Bob?
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:09 pm

You already have Movie Captioner, right. That can export SRT files. It might call them SubRip files -- SRT is SubRip format.

I don't have any recommendation for a specific subtitle editor. If you want to look at others, here's an article that you may want to look at. I think most of those listed support SRT. I haven't tried any of them.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:18 pm

Yes, I have Movie Captioner. I'd love it if I didn't have to downgrade my video twice in order to be able to see the editing screen. That often means long periods of computer processing before I can even begin and then I have to add the created subtitle to a Premier Pro edited version and combine them.

What I really liked about Power Director is that it worked right off the bat with full size files. Exporting the .srt file to YouTube was easy and created a subtitle/closed caption file that can be turned on or off on YouTube with all the variations they allow, such as solid or clear backgrounds behind the text. etc.

Thanks for the article. I'll check it out!
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:49 am

Just a note that our newest batch of Muvipix tutorials includes one on doing Closed Captioning/Subtitles in CyberLink PowerDirector.
http://muvipix.com/products.php
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Tips and Tricks