They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Thought I might try a small video effect

Video / Image editing, advanced techniques, computer settings, third party software, shortcuts, workarounds ... share your tips and tricks here.

Thought I might try a small video effect

Postby AVITRY » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:10 pm

Hi all. Well as most of you know, my PE knowledge is limited as I do 99.9% VHS to DVD copy for copy with only a chapter menu thrown in. I'm working with PE version 3 for what it's worth.

My wife's friend at work wanted to know if I'd be able to put her daughters wedding video (1986) on DVD. I was happy to do it. During the capture I noticed quite a few photo's being taken and lots of them had a little flash that went off when it was taken.

So, I got this bright idea to make work for myself and I'd like to run this idea by you guys to see if it would be a pain in the butt or very time consuming to accomplish.

I was thinking along the lines of when the photo flash was seen, I could freeze frame that particular frame, and then have it spin into the video from small to larger and stick in a corner of the video for a few seconds before fading out.

I thought I might surprise the friend with this effect, but on the other hand, I'm doing this as a favor and didn't want to make a project out of it. Would this be a very difficult thing to accomplish? And if not, is there any way you all could explain to me how to get started with it?

I'm assuming it would involve keyframes and such, I've never really played with much of that, but if it's not too much to do, I think it might add a nice touch to the older video.

thanks much,

joe
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Thought I might try a small video effect

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Joe, Depending on the number of flashes this is not too bad to accomplish. You can speed things up by doing the following:

Once you make your still image and key frame it to the place you want you can use the copy /paste attributes for all the remaining images you pull out. This will then save you the time of having to key frame each image.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby AVITRY » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks Sidd thanks great to know, I didn't realize I could save the effect. How do I get that still spinning out of nowhere, say up to a corner of the video and on a bit of an angle when it finishes? Is the spin a separate effect? Maybe even with a picture frame???

Can't seem to figure out the spin thing. :) I see rotate, but I thought where I could put 50 or 60 x some number it would spin those degrees ... guess that's not the ticket.
thanks!
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:01 pm

I haven't used PrEl 3 in a long time, but I am almost positive there are presets that have the spin in from the corner. I think there may be scale in too. Presets not to be confused with Transitions.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby AVITRY » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:15 pm

I found a preset called twirl in, but it's a sort of distorting spinning. I'm trying ( for lack of better description) that newspaper headline kind of spin in ... you know Extra Extra ..... LOL and the paper spins into view to read. :) I think I've bitten off more than I can chew as an effects neophyte. :ha:
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Peru » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:46 am

What you want to do is play with the Position, Rotation, and Scale properties.
Create a keyframe in the beginning of the effect and one at the end of the effect. When you get it the way you want, you can save it as a preset.

I think some of the free tutorials on Muvipix cover some keyframing.

Steve's book, Premiere Elements 2 in a Snap, even though written for version 2, is a great resource for Pre El 3. It will show you the basics of keyframing and was well worth the investment for me when I started with Pre El 3:

http://books.google.com/books?id=1tuDtk ... s_vpt_read
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:22 am

Hi Joe !
Take a look at the transitions, you might find something there that will work. Wish I still had version 3 installed somewhere but haven't had that installed for a year or two now. Hope you are doing well, we've been hanging around these forums together for a long, long time :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:33 am

Just to add what Peru suggested: I find it easier to create the ending keyframe first. Based on a photo that is 7 seconds long. Go to about 2 seconds of the photo and adjust the position & scale. Set keyframes for both. Go to the beginning of the photo and rotate a few times (example: 6x 360). Now change the scale to zero. If this is too fast or too slow all you have to do is shift+select the ending keyframes and drag to the right to slow down or drag to the left to make faster in the Property panel.

Joe, your idea is a great one to sync with the flashes! I shot a relative's reception and it was flash after flash through all of the dances. This would have been a nice add.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby AVITRY » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:13 pm

Thanks all for the help, I'm going to play with it for a bit, I'm sure it will all fall into place now.

Hey Chuck, yeah still hanging in there. What little spare time I get from the kids and grand kids I spend with my first vice, playing pool. :) But I still lurk from time to time and still convert an occasional VHS with that Canopus 300, its still kicking!

thanks again all!

joe
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Tips and Tricks