They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

color chips not matching

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

color chips not matching

Postby Jayell » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:15 pm

I've been working in my NEW PSE7 program for several hours .. everything going great. I decided to go back and change the color of one of the photo borders (using a rectangle shape set behind the photo). But look at the foreground color in the bottom left corner. When I use the paint bucket to paint the rectangle THAT color, I get the color shown in the open files bin. I've tried multiple colors and each one is tinged with yellow. I deleted that rectangle and started again .. with the same results. Huh?!? ](*,)

pse7-color.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: color chips not matching

Postby Jayell » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:47 pm

I'm not sure I understand this, but it seems to be caused by a completely separate layer .. which has a hue/saturation adjustment layer on it. When I turn the adjustment layer off, my rectangle layer appears as the correct color. Which I guess is telling me there isn't anything I can do about it :(.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:47 pm

Which I guess is telling me there isn't anything I can do about it .

Adjustment layers affect everything below them in the layer stack. That doesn't mean that you can't do something about it. Every layer comes with a layer mask. You can paint in the mask to control what gets affected by the adjustment layer -- paint black to hide the effect and white to show the effect. You can also group the adjustment layer with the layer immediately below to form a clipping mask. Where the underneath layer is solid, the effect shows, where it is transparent, it doesn't. If you need help with either of these two options, let us know.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:03 pm

Wow, who was that masked man :-8 :SS:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:58 pm

Bob wrote: Every layer comes with a layer mask. You can paint in the mask to control what gets affected by the adjustment layer -- paint black to hide the effect and white to show the effect.

I have only a vague understanding of layer masks. When you say every layers 'comes with a layer mask,' are you talking about applying an adjustment layer? .. which I have played with a little.

Bob wrote:You can also group the adjustment layer with the layer immediately below to form a clipping mask.

Clipping mask is a new term to me .. I may be back later for help on that one.
Thanks, Bob! I should have known better than to suggest there was nothing I could do about it ;)
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:48 pm

Yes, I meant to say every adjustment layer comes with a mask. If you were to select the area that the adjustment layer was to apply to and then create the adjustment layer, the selection will automatically be incorporated into the adjustment layer mask.

Depending on which version of Photoshop Elements you have, clipping masks were also called clipping groups. Clipping mask is the more recent terminology.

Both layer masks and clipping masks are very useful and well worth the time learning to use them.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:30 am

It certainly might help if we saw a screen capture of your Layers palette.

BTW, you're not working on an Grayscale rather than RGB photo, are you?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:25 am

It's a pretty simple setup .. and I can see where the problem is .. just not sure I understand how to fix it. It's Shape 1 that needs help. I'm using V7. No, I'm not using greyscale, but I am using a PanosFX Sketch effect on the 'sketch' layer
pse7-layers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:59 am

Are you just trying to colorize the sketch?

Try selecting the adjustment layer and setting that blend mode (the drop-down menu that read Normal by default) to Overlay.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:28 pm

Try this. Press and hold the alt key and move the cursor to the line between the Sketch layer and the Hue/Saturation layer. When the cursor changes to what looks like two overlapping circles, click once. The Hue/Saturation layer will indent and there will be a bent arrow pointing down (it kind of looks like the driving hand signal for stop). You've just created a clipping mask and the hue/saturation adjustment will apply only to the Sketch layer leaving the exposed portion of the Shape1 layer alone.
clippingMask.jpg
Bob

Postby Jayell » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:33 pm

Well, that was certainly simple! I thought it would end up being some convoluted solution. I've copied that into my PRE notes so I don't have to ask that same question 6 months from now. Thanks, Bob!
Now I assume that if I had 10 more layers below that level, this would protect EVERYTHING below that point .. right?
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:53 pm

Yes. When you create a clipping mask, the two adjacent layers are a pair. The bottom layer of the pair is the mask which clips the top layer to it -- like a cookie cutter. Where the bottom layer of the pair is transparent, the adjustment layer will not affect any layers below.
Bob

Postby Jayell » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:47 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Are you just trying to colorize the sketch?
Try selecting the adjustment layer and setting that blend mode (the drop-down menu that read Normal by default) to Overlay.

I'm sorry Steve, somehow I missed this response. Obviously Bob solved the problem, but I went back and played with Overlay (without the clipping mask) and I don't quite understand what it does. I'm NOT trying to colorize (in fact the 'sketch' effect removes all the color). It did put some color back in .. changed the border color (which was my original issue), but it still carries some of the strange hue-saturation effect from the original adjustment mask applied to the sketch layer.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:57 pm

Sorry. I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to do.

The Overlay blend is great for colorizing black & white photos, by the way.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements