They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Free PSE Layer Mask Actions

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Free PSE Layer Mask Actions

Postby Bob » Sat May 17, 2008 4:31 am

This is a Muvipix exclusive!

I have just uploaded a set of 4 actions to create layer masks in Photoshop Elements versions 2 through 6. These actions will allow you to add the same four types of layer masks that Photoshop provides. These are:

1. The "Reveal All" layer mask adds an all white mask to a layer. if a selection is present, it is ignored but is retained.

2. The "Hide All" layer mask adds an all black mask to a layer. If a selection is present, it is ignored but is retained.

3. The "Reveal Selection" layer mask adds a mask to a layer that is black where the image is not selected and white where it is. If there is no selection present, the mask will be filled with white like a "Reveal All" mask. The selection will be deselected after the mask is added.

4. The "Hide Selection" layer mask adds a mask to a layer that is white where the image is not selected and black where it is. If there is no selection present, the mask will be filled with black like a "Hide All" mask. The selection will be deselected after the mask is added.

There are a number of tool sets for PSE that include a "Reveal All" layer mask action. But, I have seen no other tool sets that includes the selection layer masks or provide all four types. I originally wrote these actions for my own use back in the days when I was using Photoshop Elements. I have moved on to Photoshop and have no further need for these, but rather than throw them away, I thought some of you could make good use of them.

I have not tested these on PSE versions 5 and 6, but they should work. Until I get feedback that this is indeed the case, I would consider them "beta". So, are there any brave souls that would like to try them out and give me feedback? All comments are welcome.

Here is the direct link to the zip file in the gallery: http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/ ... _Masks.zip
Bob

Re: Free PSE Layer Mask Actions

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 17, 2008 6:36 am

Thanks, Bob!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Sat May 17, 2008 8:37 am

Files have an .atn extension? Should these be placed in the Photo Creations>Special Effects folder?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Sat May 17, 2008 12:18 pm

momoffduty wrote:Files have an .atn extension? Should these be placed in the Photo Creations>Special Effects folder?

Which version of PSE? The way the actions have to be packaged and the location they are installed vary with each version of PSE. I've included version specific folders in the zip file which contain the actions and supporting files packaged for that version along with version specific installation instructions. On v2-v3-v4, I'm on firm ground with the instructions, these have been installed and run on those versions. On v5 and v6, I had to research the locations from other Internet sources -- I no longer have PSE installed on my system and have never had those versions. I didn't rely on a single source and tried to confirm the locations from instructions found on multiple sites. V6, for example, is based on Robert Barnett's article on this site along with info I found on other sites. It's entirely possible that as I was preparing the instructions that I mixed one up. I'll double check v5 and v6 later today and upload a corrected version if I spot an error.

If anyone spots an error, I would appreciate being informed about it so I can correct the instructions. A reference to an Internet site that gives a correct reference would be great if that's possible. If not, I'd still like to know so I can correct it and/or research it further.

Thanks
Bob

Postby ScrugneysGundogs » Sat May 17, 2008 12:45 pm

Just a cursory test, but they work great in PSE5. One very minor cosmetic thing I noticed was that the thumbnails were out of order in the thumbs.psd file (at least I think so).

- add_mask_hide_all should be all black
- add_mask_hide_selection s/b white with a black "H"
- add_mask_reveal_all s/b white
- add_mask_reveal_selection s/b black with a white "R"

The layer names correctly match the icons, but PSE5 expects them to be in alphabetical order. (Why I don't know - it just does.)
I just rearranged the layers and re-saved the thumbs.psd file.
ScrugneysGundogs
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat May 17, 2008 1:07 pm

I'll look into that and make the correction. Thanks for the feedback!
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Sat May 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Thanks Bob, using PSE5. The actions from Panos went into the folder I mentioned. So thought it would be the same, will look at your instructions. Are you replacing the files to zip? If so, I will wait to get the new ones. Thanks.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Sat May 17, 2008 3:19 pm

Thanks Cheryl,

I upload a new file with the thumbs.psd layers in alphabetical order, but hold off on the download. As I was verifying the folder location I found conflicting instructions for the layer order in the psd file. One said alphabetical order while another said reverse alphabetical order. So, I may need to change it again. I'm trying to confirm the order. Now that I think of it, the path you mentioned may be better for v5. That will place it at the higher level menu location.

If ScrugneysGundogs is still following this thread, is the order alphabetical top layer to bottom layer or the other way around and which folder did you use?

I'll get a revised file up later today when I get this sorted out.
Bob

Postby Bob » Sat May 17, 2008 5:24 pm

OK, I've replaced the zip file with a new one. Turns out Photoshop Elements 5 requires that the layers in the thumbs.psd file be in alphabetical order from bottom layer to top layer.

Cheryl, the instructions for v5 that I gave place my actions folder in Photo Creations\Special Effects\Photo Effects. That causes my layer mask category to appear under the Photo Effects category. Placing the folder in Photo Creations\Special Effects will also work. The difference being that my category will then appear in the category list alongside Photo Effects at the same level. That would be very useful if I had multiple sets of actions each in their own sub-folder. Since I don't, it really shouldn't matter unless PSE 5 is picky about requiring sub-folders when used at the higher level. Feel free to place it in either location as it suits your preference.
Bob

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:03 am

I was just wondering, has anyone tried these with PSE 6?
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:32 am

Haven't tried these out in 5 yet. Liked your AE title in the gallery. Did you make the background in AE too?
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:24 pm

Yes, it's entirely done in AE, no added footage. Andrew Kramer of videocopilot.net posted an AE project file on his blog at http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/ (search for "free title project"). I modified it and posted a sample to bring it to the attention of the members who have AE.
Bob

Postby Cybersparkle » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:34 pm

Hi- thank you so much for posting the mask layer actions. I have PSE 4 and know the basics well enough to create art I am pleased with. I have yet to really experiment much with layer masks tho. I downloaded a free layer mask from about.com graphics a while back. I totally understand a poster on here who asked for a "Masking 101" tutorial- in the beginning, one really isnt quite sure what you can do with masks and therefore not really able to ask how to do a specific effect yet.

OK, here is my question- I am a big self-taught person and use books to learn what I have so far. However, the dilemma is by adding these things that dont originally come with the software, there then are no books that then can describe how to use them in elements. So, by adding these masks- what books would I be able to follow on my PSE 4? The book Photoshop Masking & Compositing by Katrin Eismann was mentioned and seems really good if you have Photoshop. But, if I download your masks offered here, do you think I would be able to follow along in her book though I use photoshop elements 4? And, if not, is there a better book or tutorial that I could follow that you know of using the masks offered here?

Thank you so much for offering the masks and remembering us folks who just have PSE!

Many Blessings
:-D
Cybersparkle
New User
New User

Postby Cybersparkle » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:02 pm

ok- I'm back with more info but still seeking suggestions.

I found a book on Amazon that may help to accomplish masking techniques similar to full photoshop in elements.

Combining Images with Photoshop Elements: Selecting, Layering, Masking, and Compositing (Paperback)
by Ted LoCascio

http://www.amazon.com/Combining-Images- ... M83UQXG7DI

The amazon reviews were really good for it.
I looked at the table of contents of Katrin Eismann's book and it seems to have lot of info about Photoshop that PSE doesnt have and may be difficult to follow along. (I just got Scott Kelby's photoshop elements 4 book for digital photographers, too). I think I will order LoCascio's book. However, since I am not familiar with using both photoshop and pse, I still would like any feedback whatsoever if Eismann's book would be appropriate for elements after having put in the masks offered here. Her book sounds super great and in the future when I am a little more experienced, I plan to get it for sure- just dont know if it is a good investment right now.

Many Blessings & Hope everyone is having a good weekend
Cybersparkle
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:54 am

Hi, Cybersparkle! Welcome to muvipix!

I haven't seen Ted LoCascio's book, but, from the description on Amazon, it sounds like it would be a good learning tool for you. The Katrin Eismann book is excellent and I own a copy, but, you are correct, it is written for Photoshop and much of book deals of tools and capabilities that aren't in Photoshop Elements. There is a lot of information in it that would be usable in Photoshop Elements, but I'd recommend that you start with the LoCascio book and look at Katrin Eismann's book later to see if it adds enough additional information to make it worthwhile for you.

I'm assuming that the LoCascio book doesn't include a layer mask tool and just uses the native Photoshop Elements capabilities. That's fine. Photoshop Elements does support layer masks, it just doesn't provide a tool to add one to a layer. You have to use the layer mask that comes with an adjustment layer, grouping that with an image layer will give you the equivalent functionality. That get's tedious and confusing if you need to create a lot of layers with masks and it's a lot easier to use an add-on layer mask tool to apply the mask directly to a layer. Once you do add a mask to a layer, Elements handles it just like Photoshop would.

Most of the tutorials on the web are written for Photoshop and not Photoshop Elements and many use layer masks. Most commonly, the tutorial will direct you to use the "add layer mask" button at the bottom of the layers palette. That button in Photoshop adds a "Reveal Selection" layer mask, or, if you hold the alt key down when you click, a "Hide Selection" layer mask. If you have my layer mask actions installed, you can directly apply the same type of layer mask. If you have a selection present, the selection will be automatically incorporated into the mask -- just like Photoshop would. The other action sets I've seen only provide a "Reveal All" layer mask and that will only add a mask, not incorporate a selection. You will have to manually modify the mask to include the selection. I think you will find my action more convenient.

Layers and masking are well worth the effort to learn and master. Feel free to ask questions.
Bob

Next

Return to Photoshop Elements