They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

photoshop image quality on timeline.

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

photoshop image quality on timeline.

Postby Sara J. » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:26 pm

I have still images made in photoshop that have poor quality for viewing on the timeline monitor (yes, rendered). But in photoshop and in PE3 preview screen they are clear.

I have not resized the frame or added any type of effects. Im I missing something with putting photoshop images onto the timeline. I also tried to save the image as a jpg, but I still get the same result. Clear in preview, but from monitor view poor quality.

Thanks,
Sara
Sara J.

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:48 pm

I'm hoping Steve has an idea here.

Are you sure there isn't a red line above the images (unrendered)?
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:27 pm

Can you tell me more about those images, Sara?

What size are they (in pixels)? 640x480 pixels, for instance.

Also, how are you judging that poor quality? Did you output your video as an AVI from Premiere Elements and then watch it in Windows Media Player? And, if you do that, make sure you don't play it larger than 100%. Remember, your computer monitor is probably three or four times the resolution of your TV, and any standard video is going to look fuzzy at full-screen on your computer.

And can you be more specific about "poor quality"? Are the pictures too dark, too blurry, too pixelated?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Sara J. » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:50 pm

It does appear better when I export to avi and view, but still not as good as I think it should be. The poor quality I experience is that the pictures are pixelated. Causes a sort of distorted look of the picture on the people in the photoshop file. I have exported them as 720 X 540 and I tried to times that by 6 to see if I got a different result at 4320 X 3240. Increasing the the frame ment that I didn't have to make the photo of the people smaller from their orginal high resolution photo.

I'm still confused why this occurs. Thanks for your response.
Sara J.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:03 pm

Sara, if you go to this page http://muvipix.com/resources.php you'll see a sample FAQ on the left side of the page and a hyperlink to our searchable FAQs (which will open in a pop-up window).

Once you're in the FAQs, do a search on "slideshow" and you'll find a detailed article I wrote on why slideshows can look poor on computer screens even though they'll look fine on a TV.

BTW, using those super-rezzed photos (4320 X 3240!!!!) certainly won't give you better quality video. No matter what size photo you put in, you get essentially a 640x480 image out. That's the nature of video. In fact, some folks have done experiments and have found that the closer your photo to video resolution, the cleaner the output.

Using those massive photos will likely only crash your DVD encoding.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Sara J. » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:47 pm

Now you got me scared with the crashing part. I guess I was just trying anything to find out what might cause the pixelation to be poor. (If anything I learned what not to do.)

Thank you for your help. I'll check that out.
Sara J.

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:26 pm

Here it is http://muvipix.com/faq.swf

Just do a search for 'slideshow' and it will come up. There is also an article on what size photos should be for a video DVD to be played on a television.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:10 pm

I noticed the same thing in my slideshow project. Jagged edges.

1. If my monitor is set to a high resolution, then the property of the still will show 1600x1200? Don't worry about the numbers, just the ratio?

2. Exporting the slide show as windows media and posted in the gallery, will the images appear as they would on a burned DVD? or jagged edges?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:16 pm

If you set the video to deinterlace it will play without jagged edges, if you do not deinterlace you will see jagged edges. Sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't, personal preference ;)
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements