They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HELP! color

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

HELP! color

Postby gail spiro » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:30 pm

Hi-I'm losing my mind. When I edit my photos either in RAW or in the regular editor, they look great. But when I save them and open in windows they look SO off- very contrasty and VERY red.
I'm trying to show via cell phone shots of my screens to it's probably hard to tell. But I'm really desperate.
We've tried to calibrate my monitor, but it seems to me that it should be the same viewed in the editor as ion the computer? HELP!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: HELP! color

Postby gail spiro » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:40 pm

_DSC3850 ed6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:28 pm

Color profiles will help standardize your color. It can't account for every TV or printer, but if you set all of your devices to use the same sRGB Color Profile you'll come as close as possible.

With your photo open in Photoshop Elements, go to the Image menu and select Convert Color Profile and ensure that the sRGB option is selected, per the attached illustration.

On Windows, click the Start button and type in Color Profile. Select each Device (your monitor(s) and your printer) and, with each selected, check the box to Use My Settings For This Device. If you look under the All Profiles tab for each device you should see sRGB set for your Device and Viewing Profiles. For good measure, go under the Advanced tab and set Device and Viewing Profiles to sRGB.

If you want to go extreme, you can also calibrate your displays using the button under this tab.

Close this window and save your photo.

This system is designed to ensure your devices, your operating system and Photoshop Elements are set to the same color standards. But then you have to consider what program you're viewing the photo in Windows on also.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby gail spiro » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:50 pm

Thank you so much for the quick and elaborate response Steve. On my way to bed but I will try this tomorrow morning. I will let you know what happens!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby gail spiro » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:16 pm

Steve- your idea worked- with a little extra changes. I had my husband, who is much more computer savvy than I am, help me look at the situation using your "fix".
In the end we reset the photoshop editor under color settings to have "no color management", and then made sure that the entire system defaulted to the sRGB profile.
I think it's FIXED!!!!
iT ALMOST SEEMS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE AFTER THE STRUGGLES i'VE BEEN HAVING WITH THIS ISSUE- and my work-a round has been to take a photo in the editor that looked perfect, and adjust the color trying to guess what would look correct in windows, etc. I was losing my mind- especially with newborn delicate skin tones! I had to save about 10 variations of color and then find one that looked "right" and I was so upset!
I'm going to play with it over the next few days before I completely give it the thumbs up, being the skeptic that I am, but I'm cautiously optimistic and extremely grateful!
THANKS!
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby gail spiro » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:22 pm

NEXT QUESTION- the image in the RAW editor is not matching the regular editor -what settings should I have in RAW?
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby gail spiro » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:24 pm

the most dramatic issue seems to be saturation- color is less saturated looking in RAW than when I open in regular editor.
When you do the color profile drop down menu it doesn't offer sRBG.
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Photoshop Elements