They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Opening PSP extension photos in Photoshop

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Opening PSP extension photos in Photoshop

Postby robbie410 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:11 am

Currently using Photoshop Elements 12. I read that Photoshop can open photos with extension PSP. Do the latest versions, of Photoshop Elements, have this option?
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Opening PSP extension photos in Photoshop

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 17, 2020 8:47 am

Certainly.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:32 pm

Does that confirm my thought that Photoshop Elements 12 does not open PSP files?
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 17, 2020 7:13 pm

Oops. I see that you've written PSP rather than PSD. Sorry.

No, you can't edit PSP files in Photoshop Elements. PSP files are from a Playstation, right?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Mon May 18, 2020 5:35 am

Hi Steve, PSP files were produced with Video Studio’s, Paint Shop pro. I first started video editing, and photo correction, in the mid-90s. I had Microsoft Windows on the computer, which was all was compatible, really easy to use, with good results for both video and photos.
In 2011, I got an IMac, Apple the latest trend at that time. When I tried to carry on with Video and photo editing, I realised that Video Studio did not work on an iMac. After some homework, I took up with Adobe and specifically Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements. I did not find it easy at first but found my way to MuviPix to help, where I joined your services, 2013, and I have continued to subscribe.
Adobe, such a powerful program, so versatile, but I never found it easy to get to grips with. Maybe too advanced for me? You can see from previous posts that I had many problems along the way, and now having had a break from editing etc. I’m running into all of them again. I really appreciate your patience but not having much success. Your suggestion to install Boot Camp, to use Windows as well as IOS, is a possibility, which would allow me to use Video Studio again, but I am not one to want to give up Adobe that easily.
I have a lot of videos made, and photos saved digitally. Now wanting to create new videos, (limited though now, taking less video) but mainly using photos to save and make presentations, slideshows, for the children, I run into the same problems that I had. Many of the old original photos have been enhanced or corrected using Paint Shop Pro and thus are PSP. When wanting to make slideshows, etc. I have to revert back to creating them using Premier Elements. Love all the features of Premier Elements but results not good. I will try creating Slideshow in Organiser, not done that yet. Can you insert transitions and sound etc. with Organiser? So back to PSP conversion possibilities, any Apps you can suggest? Downloading VLC , for opening old files, and install another slideshow program?
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 18, 2020 6:55 am

Paint Shop Pro was an affordable alternative to Photoshop back in the day (like around 2000). But in my not-so-humble opinion, Photoshop is the standard by which all photo editors are measured. And Photoshop Elements is an excellent, affordable alternative. (I can't imagine what results weren't good in your experience. The quality of editing is identical to Photoshop.)

I'm not sure what to tell you about PSP files. If you still have Paint Shop Pro you can open them and then resave each as a more universal format, like JPEG or TIF -- which any photo editor can work with.

Online references say that the Pro version of Photoshop can open PSP files. Photoshop Elements, however, can not.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Mon May 18, 2020 10:45 am

Steve, I accept Photoshop is the standard, and that Photoshop Elements is excellent.
I do not have Paint Shop Pro any more although you can still get Corel Paintshop Pro, is available for Windows.
Aim is to be able to convert Paintshop Pro files, PSP, to JPEG or whatever, so I can use them in Photoshop Elements. But with what? What I read about Photoshop opening PSP must, as you say, refer to Pro Version.
Taking note of everything you have said before about correcting photos in Photoshop Elements and then Premier Elements, reducing size etc., using Bicubic smoother, to reach a satisfactory result, is what I will try again.
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 18, 2020 12:02 pm

Download Gimp. It's an open source (free) photo editor that many say holds its own up against Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop.
https://www.gimp.org/

It claims to be able to open PSP files. Open each of those file in Gimp and then use Gimp to save them as JPEGs.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:50 pm

Thanks, I hopefully will not be coming back, but if I do I hope you understand. Young, but not as young as I was. Great service from your, especially and your team.
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Photoshop Elements