They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Is shimmering on video in Oganiser normal?

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Is shimmering on video in Oganiser normal?

Postby robbie410 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:07 am

Is it normal that video imported into Organiser has a shimmering effect, which is then seen when video used in Premier Elements for editing?
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is shimmering on video in Oganiser normal?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:12 pm

Not that I'm aware of!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:03 pm

Thank you for reply. I thought that it was not normal to have shimmering in base media. Long time since I used Premier Elements but Lockdown has awakened my interest again. Following initial viewing of problems, where I thought glass and shiny particles in roads, and tops of walls, where causing problem I did a check taking video from two types of device, these though inside, same problem. One clip was from using Panasonic DMC-TZ6, video as part of camera,(40.6 MB clip Kind QT movie) and second from Iphone SE, same scenes, (25.7 MB MPEG-4 movie). I did proceed to edit in Premier Elements, thinking the rendering and process might change it, but the feature was still thee although maybe a little less. So it would seem the Premier Elements is OK, but my devices are not. I might try and put them straight onto the timeline, rather than through Organiser, but am not hopeful that this would be any better, but worse. Am I right to start with that media from these two devices should work Ok with the Premier Elemensts application? Any further comment on test, would be welcome, as most of my previous video clips, which I want to put together, were made using these devices. I have one other device, SonyDCR-SX33 hand held video camera which I will try, same test and compare. Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:10 pm

My guess would be that there's nothing wrong with the files at all and probably nothing wrong with any of the Elements programs. It might be something in your monitor or a buggy graphics driver.

If so, you can just ignore it as edit as usual. Your results will look fine.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:27 pm

Thanks Steve, i use a Mac, yes a few years old. I tried some old files from the handycam device and they were ok, but from 2011. I am charging it up and will try and take the same test as the two already done and see, but Ithink you are right. Then I can Also play the Premier Elements back on a Mac Book which still has the Adobe on, and see what that does. If it is ok on that then, why should I not believe it, something wrong with graphics on Imac. Nothing to do with still using version 12? As always you are great, and now alone, on my own unfortunately, I will be using time to try and get things done.
Regards Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:53 am

Download VLC Media Player. It's the best media player anywhere, on a Mac or a PC. And it's free.

See if you videos have that shimmer when played on it.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:20 am

Thanks for suggesting VLC, which I will download. I have done some other tests with a different device. The shimmering does not appear and Ithink it might be something to do with the different extensions used, eg MOV. And m4v. MPG seems ok. Also when I actually render. Project with the three trials on and use Publish/share the shimmering does not appear on result although the picture could be a bit sharper.
I would like to follow up other tests before I am certain what is happpening. Thanks
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:08 am

I have found out that the shimmering affects MOV files taken on Panasonic camera, video settings. The playback on QuciktimeMovie player only are perfect but as soon as you input them into Adobe Premier Elements the shimmering is apparent. MPG files and M4v files seem OK. Could it be that QuicktimeMovie files are not compatible with Premier Elements? If I download VLC would this app convert Quicktimemovie files?
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 02, 2020 8:04 am

I still think the shimmering is just the way Premiere Elements is previewing the files. It's not changing the files in any way and it's not really adding a shimmer to them.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Sat May 02, 2020 8:34 am

Thanks Steve, I will download VLC. The fact that the raw files, MOV, play faultlessly on QuickTime And only shimmer when imported into Premier Elements, The finished video, after editing video, lose nearly all shimmering although the result is sometimes unshared but I think somewhere there was an adjustment that said “Sharpen”. Thank you for your guidance, welcome as always, and if I find something further, which is interesting , as I use input from other devices as main source. Feedback if you like.
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Tue May 05, 2020 12:29 pm

Hello again, I have continued to test using MOV files to be edited in Premier Elements 12. I have identified that my problem with shimmering with good quality MOV files shivers when working with Premier Elements. As you said they all disappear when you create the project. MOV rendered , the project which converts them to f4v (FlASH) then concerts them to Converted. Comparing these with the original MOV file shimmering has gone but sharpness has deteriated from MOV to Converted. Although slight it bugs me. I know you think that my Mac might have a problem with graphics card, but why should the converted file be worse than the MOV? Unfortunately the files sizes, even for a short video, sale MOV 23.9mb, f4v 11.2 mb, and converted 40.3 mb so too large to send to you to see act you think. Yes, it is many years since I first made videos but I never remember these problems then and have many good videos on DVD. What would be the best file extension used on a camera or video camera be? Maybe I have to stop using the Panasonic, which of course is really a photo camera with a video facility. I could consider a new type of camera, just for videos? Thanks frustrated amateur - Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue May 05, 2020 6:29 pm

Maybe I'm not clear what you mean by "shimmering".

Right-click on the Monitor panel in Premiere Elements and set it for High Quality. Does that make a difference in how your video is played in Premiere Elements?

I certainly wouldn't recommend converting your video -- since I don't think you need to. We can look at the specs of your MOV files, but I'm they're fine and it's just the preview quality in Premiere Elements that's reducing how they look. If you'd like us to look at your file's specs, open one of your MOVs in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the text from the report it generates and paste it to this forum. Once we see the specs of your MOV, we'll better be able to give you specific advise.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Wed May 06, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi Steve, here is my attempt at copying the Text report using MedialInfo. I must blame myself also with this problem because I am no expert, just like to work with the Adobe programs Elements. So far photos and starting with slide shows and animation movements, music, titles etc seems to go well. Video I am not too happy with although I do remember when I fist stated, also communication with Muvipix, was OK. Could it be to do with using Elements 12? I did upgrade four times I thunk, but to do it each year, with the time I had for editing, was expensive. If it might help, as you may say Ok, but is your Imac rather old as well? Herewith the report.General
Complete name : /Users/robertschulte/Desktop/Cruise 0505 Test comparison videos/P1000060.MOV
Format : pana
Codec ID : pana (qt )
File size : 22.8 MiB
Duration : 16s 0ms
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 12.0 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2018-09-04 15:37:09
Tagged date : UTC 2018-09-04 15:37:09
Writing library : pana

Video
ID : 1
Format : JPEG
Codec ID : jpeg
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 11.7 Mbps
Width : 848 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.958
Stream size : 22.3 MiB (98%)
Language : English

Audio
ID : 2
Format : PCM
Format settings : Big / Signed
Codec ID : twos
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 256 Kbps
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 16.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 500 KiB (2%)
Language : English

Thanks for your trouble, but I know you like a challenge. You have got one with me!
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu May 07, 2020 7:00 am

I'm glad we checked! This is an MJPEG video. Low resolution. I can't see if it's interlaced frames or not, but that too would contribute to the shimmering you're seeing. This is the type of video you used to get from older, lower end still cameras. Is that where this video is from?

The shimmering is not surprising -- though Premiere Elements will likely blend the frames when you output a movie from it.

It might not hurt to convert the video using Handbrake and seeing if it makes a difference.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Thu May 07, 2020 9:05 am

Well, well, Steve I believe things might come right after your discovery. Yes, it is a Panasonic DMC-TZ6, which has the video feature included. Thus this means, with no problem, that I DO NOT USE for video if wanting to edit ir in Premier Elements. Sorry, but thanks. Now I have an iPhone, but always thought that was quality for use on email etc - You might confirm that for me. I have a Sony Handicap, video, with still feature. and I have somewhere a much larger video camera, with no niceties on, which I use to use but size restricted it when travelling. So the old videos taken, which I still have on DVD, where most likely from that video camera.
Way forward, OK . Handbrake is just a bypass I feel, I need to either get hold of my old video camera, including size and weight, or purchase something else. Maybe the Handicap would suffice in the meantime. It is a Sony Handicap DCR SX33E. I have the operation manual and if you would like to sk some questions about what this says in terms of output or whatever I would do that. Still not the end as I am not too keen on the Handicap, very small, for my hands and no view finder. It also talks about PMB use with Mac.
Thank you, I am excited again, and as you will have guessed I am now alone, my wife died last June and I am trying to build my life, and look back to remake photo and video records for my family. This all takes my mind off things and I did looking back enjoy doing just that.
Do I convert existing data, or leave, and /or buy new device which is compatible with Adobe editing programs. Maybe upgrade Adobe, and then of course your Muvipix Guide to a later version. Verbose of me I know, but we need to cut loose from problems. Your patience, and guidance and help are really very much appreciated. Lets start again.
Regards
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to Photoshop Elements