They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Computer Crash messed up Catalogs

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Computer Crash messed up Catalogs

Postby kenskopp » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:29 pm

Hi,

My computer crashed and I had to reset Windows 10. I have all folders with all my photos and videos on an internal "E" drive. I reinstalled Adobe PSE 2018 on "C" drive. I restored my five catalogs from the backup folders on my "E" drive. I just checked the location of the albums and they refer to all the photo and video folders on my "C" drive. Now I have duplicate folders on my "C" and "E" drives. How can I reconnect my albums to the folders in my "E" drive. Then I can delete the duplicate folders on the "C" drive.

I just looked up C:\program data\adobe\elements 2018\... I can not find location of my catalogs. Windows 10 really messed up my computer. If I have to manually manually deleted everything out of my catalogs referencing my "C" to reinstall folders from my "E" drive, I will. But right now I can not locate where the catalogs are located.

Thank you,

Ken Skopp
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Computer Crash messed up Catalogs

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:16 pm

I am really sorry to hear you are having issues.

Can you open an album PSE and the re-link the file to its new location? found the following:

Default catalog not found
If Elements Organizer is not able to connect to the default catalog, you can launch the Catalog Manager to find the catalog.

Press and hold Shift key, and open Elements Organizer.

Do one of the following in the Catalog Manager:

Select a catalog from the list.
Browse and locate a catalog.
Click Open.

Reconnect missing files in a catalog
If you move, rename, or delete a file outside Elements Organizer, a missing file icon is displayed when you try to open or change it.

By default, Elements Organizer automatically tries to reconnect missing and renamed files as it encounters them. Files with the same name, modification date, and size as the missing files are used to reconnect them to the catalog.

For operations such as to print, email, edit, or export the file, missing files are reported only when you try to use them. In such instances, the Reconnect Missing Files dialog box opens.

Note:

The missing icon is also displayed for large files for which the thumbnail cannot be generated.

Do one of the following:

To reconnect specific files, select one or more items with the missing file icon , and select File > Reconnect > Missing File.

To reconnect all missing items, select File > Reconnect > All Missing Files.

If you know the current location of the files, click Browse. Navigate to the location in your computer containing the missing files.

If you do not know the location of the files, wait for Elements Organizer to complete searching your computer.

Select one or more missing files in the Reconnect Missing Files dialog box. Shift-click to select files in a series. Ctrl-click (Windows)/Cmd-click(Mac OS) to select noncontiguous files.

Note:

If an exact match isn’t found, click Browse. In the Reconnect Missing Files dialog box, manually find and reconnect missing files.

Click Reconnect.
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby kenskopp » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:33 pm

Hi Sidd,

My problem is that all five catalogs with many many catalogs all refer to files on my "C" drive that were some how duplicated from the same files on my "E" drive. I want the albums to connect to the folders in my "E" drive. Then I can delete all the duplicate folders on my "C" drive.

Ken Skopp
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:50 pm

This link might give you some insight:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-eleme ... oshop.html

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby kenskopp » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:21 pm

Hi,

I am totally confused. I have a complete set of all my folders with photos and video on my "C" drive. My Adobe backup folders are on my internal 3T "E" drive. I have my "C" drive backed up to an external 1T Drive. My "E" drive is backed up to an external 3T drive. On my "C" drive my 5 separate catalogs are located in alphabetical order with the medis folders. "C:\users\Ken\appdata\roaming\adobe\photoshop elements\organizer" does not have any of the five catalogs at that location. When I look in an album, the folder location for the media is "C"\users \ken\. Prior to my computer being mixed up by a windows10 update, the folder location was on my "E" drive. Should I move the 5 catalogs to the "roaming" path, then delete all the media from my catalogs in PSE2018, then delete all the media folders on my "C" drive., uninstall PSE2018. Then reinstall PSE 2018. Then my next question is how do I restore my catalogs pointing to my "E" drive? I believe I caused the duplicate folders when I tried to Restore my catalogs. I do not understand the second part of the process regarding where to restore catalog. My "C" drive directory is a real mess. I suffer from two computer problems "Id10t" and "PICNIC" I hope this gives you an understanding of what my computer looks like.

Ken
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:15 pm

Sorry I could not help you. Maybe some one comes along and knows the answer.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:58 am

I don't know an easy fix either, Ken. It might be best to start a new catalog in the Organizer.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:03 am

Hi Steve et al,

It is 2:52am 1/6/2020. I have figured out how to use "Find Missing Files and Reconnect. I caused the problem because I did not know where to "restore" files. My catalogs are on this file path " C\program Data\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\(5 catalogs)Family, Military, My, Trains, Tips". My Backup Catalogs are on my "E" drive and my photo and video files are on my "E" drive. My question is when I retore catalog where do I send it? The options are browse to a folder and option "Restore original file structure. With the above information what do I choose to restore my "Family" catalog? I think once I reconnect all my albums my problems will be over.

Thanks

Ken Skopp
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Photoshop Elements