They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

transferring photoshop catalog

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

transferring photoshop catalog

Postby skip » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:50 pm

Just bought a new windows 10 computer and would like load photoshop on the new computer and then somehow transfer the catalog with all associated tags from a windows 7 computer. I know it's a lengthy answer, so I was wondering if you could provide a website I could use for instructions on the transfer. Thanks...
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: transferring photoshop catalog

Postby Peru » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:18 pm

Peru

Postby skip » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:51 pm

thanks, I'm on it.
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby skip » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:09 pm

Looks like it took me awhile to get on it! Just bought a new windows 11 computer and was wanting to transfer my photoshop catalog from a windows 10 machine. Went through the steps as outlined in the reply above. It took about three hours to successfully backup the catalog to an external hard drive. When I tried to restore the catalog to the new computer, there was nothing on the hard drive. Figured I screwed up somewhere, so I was going to do the backup again. When I opened photoshop on the old computer, photoshop did not have any catalog and said I needed to start loading pictures. I have all the pictures, but there are 1000s of them and I would sure hate to have to recreate all the multiple tags on all those pixs. My question is, is there anyway I can find the catalog on my old computer(assuming I didn't somehow hit "delete")? Is there a place to look, typical file name, type of file? Appreciate any help.
skip
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:42 pm

I've never done it myself. But if you've backed up the drive using the Organizer on your old computer and then used the Organizer to restore it to your new computer, it should maintain all of the links, keywords and other metadata. I'm not sure why it's not working that way for you.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements