They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How do I achieve a color and texture 'gradient' in PSE18 and

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

How do I achieve a color and texture 'gradient' in PSE18 and

Postby BobG » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:34 am

Capture.JPG

In the attached file, you can see that the background color darkens from left to right, and that there is texture to the color. I am trying to seamlessly eliminate the gray area on top. I have tried the clone stamp tool but it has a problem above the top hat. I have tried the gradient tool but it seems to only produce a solid gradient without the texture. Is there a way I can duplicate both the changing color and texture?

Thanks, Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BobG
New User
New User

Re: How do I achieve a color and texture 'gradient' in PSE18

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:58 pm

It's going to be a challenge to patch it seamlessly. You can try using a gradient with the foreground color sampled from one side of the spot and the background color sampled from the other.

But it might be best to replace the entire yellow background. That's going to involve some pretty precise selecting on your part, since this is a grainy photo and the breaks between the picture of the man and the background are not very clean. But in the end it may prove easier than trying to patch that little gray spot.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:17 pm

The problem you have is that the background is a painted backdrop and not a uniform gradient. Using a gradient to cover that defect will show and take a bit of work to blend in seamlessly.

If you want to use a gradient anyway, be sure to place the gradient on a separate layer at the top of the layer stack. Select a portion of the clear portion of the background to cover the patch and copy it to a new layer and place it between the original photo and the gradient. Set the blending mode of the gradient to color and the blending mode of the patch to luminance. This will preserve the grain structure.

I would use a different approach. I would duplicate the original image layer so I can work on a copy. I'd select the white border at the top (keeping a tiny amount of the photo that isn't white in the selection) then use content aware fill to delete the white area and fill with the image color and texture. This is to ensure the white area won't bleed into the image area when I use the healing brush and/or clone tool to replace the defect sampling from the good area adjacent to the bad area. Set the sample points in the good area adjacent to the defect and work in gradually. If you aren't familiar with the healing brush tool, you might have trouble blending in, but it's worth learning how to control and use the tool.

I downloaded your sample and did my approach as I described. In this photo, I was able to use the content aware fill to also remove most of the defect and cleaned up with the healing brush. Here's what I got:

000sample.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:21 am

Excellent work, Bob!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks Steve,

But, it's getting to the point that I don't have much to do anymore. :-D I just updated today to the new Photoshop CC 2019. In it, Adobe has revised (and improved) Content Aware Fill. Using the new content aware fill workspace, I was able to do the same fill with only one operation with nothing to clean up. Nice!

Bob

Postby Peru » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks for posting that, Bob. I'll have to download the new version and play with it.
Peru

Return to Photoshop Elements