They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

print 2 oval portraits side by side on 1 5x7 photo paper

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

print 2 oval portraits side by side on 1 5x7 photo paper

Postby cspitser » Tue May 08, 2018 5:08 pm

I have 2 pictures of my 2 granddaughters. I have cropped them to be portrait. I want to print both of them side by side each in an oval mask on one 5x7 photo paper. I learned how to print multiple pictures on one paper through the forum's help. Now I want to do this with oval masks. does pse have a procedure for creating these oval masks?
cspitser
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: print 2 oval portraits side by side on 1 5x7 photo paper

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed May 09, 2018 12:12 am

AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby cspitser » Wed May 09, 2018 12:04 pm

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Does this help?

Thanks John,

I was able to follow the youtube and create one feathered oval just the way I want it. Bur I can't figure out how to get two sis by side ovals in the same frame. Can you help with that. I am fairly new to pse so I need baby steps.
cspitser
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Wed May 09, 2018 4:08 pm

I'm assuming you copied each of the photos into your new 5x7 document as separate layers and moved one photo to the left side and the other photo to the right side. Assuming that's correct, you will need to create the oval shape on each photo separately. First, in the layers panel, click on the layer containing the photo on the left to select it. Go through your steps to create the oval shape on that photo. Now, in the layers panel, click on the layer containing the photo on the right to select that. Go through the steps to create the oval shape on that photo. You now should have an oval shape on both pictures.

If you run into problems, let us know how you are creating the ovals and what type of problem you are encountering (a screen snapshot would be helpful) and we will help you through it.
Bob

Postby cspitser » Thu May 10, 2018 10:52 am

I don't know what you mean by "my new 5x7 document. And I don't know what you mean by moving them left or right.
here is what I am doing.
1. I create a new document by doing <file><new><blank file> now the screen has a white space in the middle and is in landscape mode. I am in the expert mode
2. then I press the "open" and I browse to the folder where I have the two photos. I have cropped these photos to be portrait, 4.5 inches wide and 3 inches tall. I select then and press "open" in the pop-up window. Now both pictures are in the photo tray.

Now what do I do next? and how do I send you a screen print?
cspitser
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Thu May 10, 2018 4:06 pm

OK, I made the assumption that you had created a new blank 7x5 file and copied the photos to that. I was wrong.

I would recommend that you do that. By creating a 7x5 file, you are working with the exact size and proportions for your landscape photo and it will be perfectly sized for printing. To create a new blank document, go to the menu and choose File > New > Blank File. There should be a template for a landscape 5x7 at 300 dpi. If there isn't, you can specify that size. By default you should get a while background. If you didn't, make sure that option is selected.

Once you have created the blank file, you can copy your photos into it. To make it less confusing, I would copy the photos in and work with them one at a time. After you copy in the first photo, you will need to select the Move tool. In the layers panel, the photo you just copied in should already be selected. If it isn't, select it. Now use the move tool to place the photo on the left or right side as desired. If necessary, you can also adjust the size by dragging on the image handles -- remember to press shift while dragging to keep the proportions the same. After you're happy with the size and position, select the elliptical marquee tool (like in the earlier tutorial). Click and drag to create an oval selection. If you want it feathered, add feathering as per the tutorial. You will need to reverse the selection. The keyboard shortcut for that is ctrl-shift-i. After you do that, press the "del" key to delete everything but the oval. Finally, press ctrl-d to remove the selection. You now have the first photo done. Now copy in the second photo and repeat the steps to move the second photo to the other side and create the oval. When done, you should both photos in an oval shape side by side ready to print.
Bob

Postby cspitser » Sat May 12, 2018 1:00 pm

OKAY. Thank you Bob. I followed your steps and it worked. Your explanation was very clear.
cspitser
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat May 12, 2018 4:42 pm

SUPER BOB !! :SS:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sat May 12, 2018 10:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad I could help.
Bob

Return to Photoshop Elements