They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

An image in another?

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

An image in another?

Postby Briantho » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:20 am

I hardly ever look at my copy of Photoshop Elements 10 as I never seem to need to but suddenly there's a need. Please help.

I have two jpgs called A and B. I'd like to cut out a neat oval shape in the middle of A and show a detail from B within that oval. Which tools, etc?

Many thanks in advance, Brian.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: An image in another?

Postby Peru » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:35 am

There is probably a tutorial on this site somewhere, but I can't seem to find one. Also, if you have one of Steve's books, I'm sure you'll find it in there.

But for now, you can click on the play button to download this video:
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/vi ... yer-masks/

Use the oval selection tool on your mask.
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:19 am

On photo "A" select the oval marquee too and highlight the area you want to cut. Once highlighted press delete and you should have the oval section cutout. Copy photo "B" and past it in photo "A". Make sure photo "A" is stacked over photo "B". Then select the move tool and slide photo "B" to the correct position.

Hint: sometimes it is helpful to add some opacity to photo "A" while you are using the move tool on photo "B" so you can see where you want to position photo "B"

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:03 pm

Another option is to open both photos as floating windows and drag the image from Photo A (the one you're going to use as a frame) onto Photo B. (Or you can select all (Ctrl+a or Cmd+a on Mac) and then cut and paste Photo A onto Photo B). This will place Photo A as a layer on Photo B. Cut a hole in Photo A and you'll see Photo B through the hole.

You may need to resize one or the other photo if they're not the same size and resolution.

If you need to adjust the position of Photo B inside the frame, first double-click on the Background layer on the Layers palette. This will turn Photo B into a floating layer. Then you can just drag it to where you'd like it and, if necessary resize it.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:24 pm

I guess I was thinking zebras instead of horses and suggested the more complicated way. #-o
Peru

Postby Briantho » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:51 pm

Well many thanks for that! Not too daunting after all. I had some problems getting hold of the handles on image B to start off with as I had to show it within an oval picture frame on image A but in the end I swapped the order round, the handles appeared and when I swapped again they remained accessible. Thanks again!
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Briantho » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:54 pm

Oh, I only just saw your suggestion Steve and it certainly looks interesting. I know I'll have more of these so I'll certainly try your route next time. Great to have lots of options, thanks!
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:16 pm

There are many ways to do this. Here's another you might try.

Since you have two separate photos, this may be easier:

Open photo B. You will have a single background layer. Press the keyboard shortcut ctrl+a (or from the menu, select>all). This will select the entire photo. Now press the keyboard shortcut ctrl+c (or from the menu, edit>copy). You have now copied the photo into the clipboard. You can close photo B.

Now open photo A. Select the Elliptical Marquee tool from the tools palette. Press and hold the alt key (I like to use my left little finger to do this as it makes it easy to press alt+space later). Click on the spot where the center of the oval would be and drag out to size the oval -- dragging up or down will change the height while dragging left or right will change the width. Don't release the alt key or mouse button yet. If the oval as drawn is not positioned exactly where you want it, press the space bar (you are now pressing alt+space and the left mouse button). You can now drag the oval selection to tweak the position. Release the mouse button to finalize the selection.

From the menu, select "edit>paste into selection". This will create a new layer containing photo B and it will have a layer mask applied to hide everything except what is in the oval. The mask is not linked to the photo which means you can use the move tool to click and drag photo B to show what you want in the oval. If you need to resize photo B, the keyboard shortcut ctrl+t will enable free transform.
Bob

Postby Briantho » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:26 pm

MANY thanks Bob, very helpful. I shall be sailing through the next ones thanks to the tip about the Alt key.
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Photoshop Elements