They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Upgrading from windows xp to windows 8.1

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Upgrading from windows xp to windows 8.1

Postby desmo11225 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:14 am

Hello Everyone
I have been away a long time but now I need a bit of guidence once again, having used Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 and Premier Elements 2 with Windows XP successfully ,I have now upgraded my computer to Windows 8.1.
Are there any Tutorials to carry out this upgrade, I have had a look but dont see anything obvious, with Windows XP losing Microsoft support on the 8th of April I thought quite a few people would need a bit of help and guidence Re. upgrading, purchasing and anything else we should be doing.
Hoping to hear some good advice as usual. desmo11225
desmo11225

Re: Upgrading from windows xp to windows 8.1

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Which upgrade are you talking about, desmo?

Do you need help getting used to Windows 8?

Are you trying to install version Photoshop Elements 4/Premiere 2 on Windows 8?

Or are you looking to upgrade to newer versions of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements? (I do highly recommend you upgrade your software, by the way. Premiere Elements and Photo Elements have been optimized for the newer operating systems, and the newest versions of Premiere Elements take full advantage of Windows 8's 64 bit architecture.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:08 pm

End of support doesn't mean that XP won't work. It just means no new Windows Updates for XP.
If you replace XP with 8, you will need to download new drivers for your system if they are available for 8. It is unlikely that Premiere Elements 2 will work on 8, Photoshop Elements 4 may.

If it were my decision, I would get a new computer rather than updating the operating system and also follow Steve's advice to get the latest versions of PSE and Pre El.
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:25 pm

These are great points, Peru! I hadn't even considered them!

From reading desmo's first post, I was under the impression he'd just bought a new computer. But, if not, there are lot of other issues to consider for sure!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:29 pm

Take a look at this this page from Microsoft: Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows XP Tutorial

In section 1 of that page, there is a link to download the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant. Definitely download and run that program. It will look at your computer hardware and software and point out problem areas and incompatibilities. There is a Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant, but it will not run on Windows XP.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can't do an upgrade in place from Windows XP to Windows 8 or 8.1. You have to do a clean install which will replace the entire contents of your hard drive. You will need to backup your data and personal files or you will lose them. After installing the OS, you will need to reinstall all your programs. Be sure you still have the installation disks or files and the authorizing program keys. You may need to upgrade to newer versions that support Windows 8. You will also need the current Windows 8 compatible drivers for your system hardware -- check your computer manufacturer's web site.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:41 am

Peru wrote:If it were my decision, I would get a new computer rather than updating the operating system and also follow Steve's advice to get the latest versions of PSE and Pre El.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/Desktops?SearchParameter=%26%40QueryTerm%3D*%26categoryusagedesktops_dte2%3DHigh%2Bperformance%26ContextCategoryUUID%3DOp0QxXjbaUcAAAE0eehcZzOt%26%40Sort.TieredPricing%3D0&PageSize=15&SortingAttribute=TieredPricing-asc

hp 12 months.JPG

With the higher-end units, one gets 18 months instead 12.
Note that some of the machines are Win7 :) while others are Win8.1
The account is handled by hpdirect.com, from which I have received stellar service.

::wav::
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby desmo11225 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:09 am

Hello Steve,Peru, Bob and George.
Once again thank you for your prompt replies, I'll explain what I'm doing.
First I have a new computer coming this week its an HP Pavilion 500-245 Desktop, Intel Core i5,6 GB RAM,2TB With OS Windows 8.1[64bit] installed, it looks a good deal for me, my Acer was purchased in August 2005 so I've done pretty well really, the computers OK now its just the Windows XP finishing.
I've had a little play in the shop with Windows 8.1 and with my 20 year old Grandson living with me I think I'll be able to master it after a while !!!!!!!
I'll be happy to carry on as I have been with Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 if it works with Windows 8.1 but would upgrade to Photoshop Elements 12 if need be, I see you have a new book Steve " The Muvipix.com Guide to Photoshop Elements & Premier Elements 12" and I would certainly purchase that to help me, I still have a lot of very old family photographs I need to collate to pass on to the youngsters, I have 10 Grand Children, 4 of them Great Grand Children so its very important that I get on with it,
Thank You All once again, I'll let you have any other info you need and hope the thread helps other people too. desmo11225
desmo11225

Postby desmo11225 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:08 am

Hello Everyone
Re. the above post, I have just checked out "Windows Compaibility Centre"
A box says "Compatable No Action Required" So that's fine I'll just install and carry on as before.
Thank You All once again
desmo11225
desmo11225

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:47 pm

I saw that, but I'm not sure that's accurate. It could be there just aren't enough users of that old version to report a problem. Hopefully, you will be able to install the programs and they will work. Be sure to set the compatibility setting in Properties after installation.
Bob

Postby desmo11225 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:03 am

Hello All
I have installed my Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 onto my new computer, it was accepted it and as far as I can see is working OK, I have'nt done anything much with it yet though, so maybe in the future I might be asking for more help.
In the mean time I thank you All once again. All the Best desmo11225
desmo11225

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks for letting us know! Hope everything continues to go well.
Bob

Return to Photoshop Elements