They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Suggestions for apparent Nero conflict

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Suggestions for apparent Nero conflict

Postby Rockdoc » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:16 pm

I recently got a new dvd-writer that came with Nero Essentials 7. Since I am using Bob D's archiving method, I use Photoshop Elements (v4) to move my video files to dvd as a backup method. Photoshop Elements would start to burn a dvd as part of the Move command, but after only a second would report a burn error and eject the disk. After trying several other things without success, like clearing up space on my C: drive, I removed Nero 7. The disc will now burn from Photoshop Elements, so that is apparently the conflict.

So my question is - is there some way to have these two programs on my computer? I really wouldn't use Nero for much other than making data discs, but I do that rather frequently, and don't want to lose that functionality.

Can anyone point me to ways to make these two programs happy on my computer? :-D

Thanks,
Jennifer
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Suggestions for apparent Nero conflict

Postby Bob D » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:51 pm

I don't know for a fact, but I think I remember reading in some forum that if you install Nero first and then PE they can co-exist.
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:10 pm

I had both on my computer once, until I switched to Sonic RecordNow.
Nero was installed first on my machine and then Premiere Elements 1 and then 2, there were no conflicts.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rockdoc » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:20 pm

Ok, I have uninstalled Nero, and removed some files from my C: drive to clear up space.
My C: drive, on which all my programs are installed, is 43% free now (75 GB Drive).
The G: drive, on which the avi files are stored is 33% free (500 GB drive).

Photoshop has quit with the "dirty disc" error every time. Sometimes it is after burning 2 out of the 3 discs, sometimes after just starting to burn the first disc. I now have about 15 coasters, and I can't think of what else the problem could be. When Nero was installed, I burned a couple of data discs with no problems.

I am at a loss as to what to try next. Uninstall Photoshop and reinstall?

Jennifer
Jennifer
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:03 am

You didn't happen to install the Nero In-CD module along with the other Nero modules? You can remove In-CD using the Add/Remove Programs applet in the Control Panel. In-CD should be listed by itself.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Rockdoc » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:09 am

Nope, no Nero IN-CD in my programs list. I am now trying to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop.

The Adobe tech notes indicate that this is likely a free space issue on my hard drive. I don't see how this can be with 43% free (over 30GB on a 75 GB drive). The space needed would be on my C drive where Photoshop is installed, correct? Even the G drive where the avi files I am trying to move are located has over 150 GB of a 500 GB drive free. I just don't see how this can be a free space issue.

If this reinstall doesn't work, I am going to try putting Nero back in, then reinstalling Photoshop as suggested above. I'll put the files on DVD using Nero, then reconnect them in the catalog in Photoshop.

If anyone has any other ideas for me, I would greatly appreciate hearing them. :-D

Thanks,
Jennifer
Jennifer
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:28 am

I installed the full version of Nero 7 after installing Premiere Elements 4.0, and had no trouble burning a disc in Premiere Elements. I have had trouble with Sonic/Roxio Easy Media Creator in the past, however, when trying to burn a disc or folder in Premiere Elements 3.0.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Rockdoc » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:51 am

I feel like I am just getting in deeper here and I don't have any idea why.

When I have fully uninstalled Photoshop Elements 4.0 (and 3.0, which has been residing happily on my computer for years), rebooted, disabled my virus scan (AVGfree), and attempt to install Photoshop 4.0, I get an error every time:
"Error 1406. Could not write value to key \Software\Classes\.tga\OpenWithList\PhotshopElementsEditor.exe. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

In case this gives anyone any clues, here is my system:
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
1.5 GB of RAM
C: drive 74.5GB (32.4 GB free)
G: Drive: 465GB (162 GB free) connected by USB2.0
dual monitors
Windows XP Pro

I am totally at a loss as to what to try, and can't seem to find any info on this error for Photoshop Elements.
Jennifer
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ron » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:43 am

I don't quite know the details for XP Pro, but are you the Administrator when installing the software?
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:21 am

Other than being an Administrator on your machine like Ron mentions;

Have you used a good system and registry cleaner lately?
Have you defragmented your C: drive lately?
Have you tried a system restore to an earlier date?

When things like this start happening I make sure to backup any data that I don't want to lose, these are signs of a hard drive going bad.
You can run Error Checking (ChkDsk) on your drive, right click on the drive in My Computer or Windows Explorer and select Properties then Tools.
Select Check Now under Error Checking, it will tell you that you are trying to check the primary drive and it will need to do that when you restart.
Be sure you have a good backup before doing this, it will try to recover any lost or corrupted files or disk space when it runs.

Here are a couple of good pages on this
http://www.hitechcs.com/files/HiTechCS_ ... _Check.pdf
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html
http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/HD ... Chkdsk.htm
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rockdoc » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks Chuck. I am working on the error check. Any recommendations for a registry cleaner? I have defragged my hard drive (last week, in fact), and I am logged as an administrator.

It would be a pain to get a new hard drive (to install everything), but then I would get a new (read Bigger) hard drive!!!
Jennifer
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:01 pm

I just had my C Drive fail on me about a month ago, what a pain. Fortunately I didn't lose anything important and I did replace it with a bigger hard drive :)

I use CCleaner, Steve uses one of the other free cleaners but I forget which one.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:09 pm

AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:41 pm

EasyCleaner is the most thorough registry cleaner I've ever worked with. And it's free.

CCleaner (also free) does the most thorough job of cleaning off temp files, though as a registry cleaner you sometimes need to run it three times before it gets it all.

Though either of this, and the one John recommends, will probably do the job.

And you certainly can't beat the price!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rockdoc » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:11 pm

Chkdsk took a while to complete, but there did not seem to be any problems.
I ran all the registry cleaners that were suggested (thanks all).
Tried installing PSEl 4.

Same error. Same place.

Does this still sound like my hard drive is going bad? I have already started looking at new ones....
Jennifer
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Next

Return to Photoshop Elements