They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Suggestions for apparent Nero conflict

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Re: Suggestions for apparent Nero conflict

Postby Ron » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:41 pm

Are you comfortable editing your registry? I don't want to recommend it if you're not absolutely at ease with it. I think that if you delete that entry manually, it may solve at least part of the problem.

OR; You could try installing PSE in "Safe Mode" - It might be something hanging around in your running programs which in turn isn't allowing access to the key.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:13 pm

ChkDsk does take awhile but it is a good way to find early signs of a disk drive going bad, yours seems to be fine.
Now if I could only figure out what your problem is, at least we know it is not a problem with your hard drive.

When you run the registry cleaner there are usually multiple tests and cleaners.
Did you just clean up the space on your drive or did you actually run the registry cleaning part and fix any/all errors?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:15 pm

I agree with Ron, I think you should just delete the entry in the Registry.
The installation should recreate it anyway. It may also just lead to another error, but it would be interesting to find out.

Also, sometimes if you right click on the installation file (.exe) you can select 'Run As' and choose Administrator, that sometimes helps.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rockdoc » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:09 am

I tried to find that entry in the registry using the path that the error indicated was a problem. I even searched with all the individual parts of the path to try to locate it, but I can't find it.

I did specifically run the registry cleaning parts of the programs, which cleaned up a great many leftover references, but the installation gets stuck in the same place, with the same error, every time.

I also tried installing in safe mode, but although I am logged in as the Administrator, I get an error that says the administrator does not allow that process in safe mode.

During one of the installations, I told it to ignore the key error and continue with the install. It continued with no further errors. I opened up a picture and tried a simple crop. When I close the file without saving the changes, I got an error telling me that Photoshop would have to shut down. I then tried a repair installation, which said it completed successfully. When I tried to burn the discs again (File-Burn-Move files) the dirty disc error happened on the second disc. #-o

I am thinking I am headed toward formatting the drive (and I almost had my husband talked into getting me a new 400 GB drive and installing it for me \:D/ ). Any other ideas?

Thanks for working through this with me!
Jennifer
Currently the owner of an embarrassingly slow system, hoping that will change!
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:47 pm

If you are going to reformat the drive just get and install the new one instead :)

You could try creating the registry entry if it doesn't exist. You should only have to create the correct path, the installation process should set all the flags and parameters.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:05 pm

I still think, rather than fighting with all this, it's easier just to leave the burner software alone, use Premiere Elements to burn to a folder instead of directly to a DVD, and then use your burner software to move the DVD files to a disk.

As I said, it takes no more time, adds only a few mouse clicks to your task and can resolve a variety of challenges.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:05 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I still think, rather than fighting with all this, it's easier just to leave the burner software alone, use Premiere Elements to burn to a folder instead of directly to a DVD, and then use your burner software to move the DVD files to a disk.

This is the way I've done it from the start and it's worked every time. My 2 pennies.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rockdoc » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:13 pm

Actually, burning a video dvd for viewing my edited videos with different software is usually how I do work with Premiere Elements. My problem in this case was Photoshop Elements, and moving my source files off to dvds for longer term storage. If I didn't use Photoshop to move them to dvd, then Photoshop wouldn't know where they were, and locating particular files from the archive based on their tags and other info in the Photoshop catalog would be impossible. In trying to resolve the burning error, I uninstalled PSEl, and now am stuck with not being able to reinstall it at all.

My registry or something else is not letting a complete installation of PSEl happen (PrEl is still on my computer and working fine as far as I know). So trying to resolve the burning issue is now second place to getting a working version of Photoshop back.

I like the usefulness of a video catalog of my source files, and it falls within Photoshop's stated functions of the Organizer to keep track of them, and move them to cd or dvd.

I am still up in the air about getting a new hard drive, and I'd rather not have to format my drive right now if it's not necessary.

How do I create the registry entry?
Jennifer
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:09 pm

I would hate to have you mess up the registry but this shouldn't hurt anything if the new entry isn't correct.

Start/Run/regedit

after the registry editor opens get as close to the path as you can and from there you will have to enter the new directory information as best you can.
Making sure the path exists for the program to write to is most important.

When you are at the point in the registry where you need to add a directory select - Edit/New/Key - from the main menu. Be sure to enter the directory names exactly as written in the error message.
All uppercase and lowercase exactly as they are, they must match perfectly.

Hope that helps

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Rockdoc » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:15 pm

Thanks Chuck, I will try it. Last time I formatted the drive, it took a week to get up and running smoothly again, so I am not looking forward to it. #-o
Jennifer
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Previous

Return to Photoshop Elements