They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Face Recognition in PS10 catalog - ARGGGGG

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Face Recognition in PS10 catalog - ARGGGGG

Postby tjodork » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:47 pm

I finally switched to the PS10 Catalog which has facial recognition.
I have about 30,000 pictures , not all have faces obviously....

I've very frustrated by the fact that when it say WHO IS THIS and I type in a name ....I have to type in the whole first and last name....
It does give some suggestions below the picture but many/most the time it is wrong ....leaving me to type the ENTIRE first and last name
Each time I type a name again, I run the risk of typing it wrong...creating extra tags.

When I tried Picaso 3, as soon as I typed a B (for Bob) I got a choice of all names that started with B .. I quickly clicked the right name and was done.

The fact that Adobe does not do the same thing (or similar) is a huge oversight. I don't think I can get through the number of pictures when I have
to type that much.

How can FREE software have such better UI ?

So.....could I use Picaso 3 to do the facial recognition and write the tags into the pictures....and THEN would PS10 read in the tags written by Picaso ??
Anyone done this ?

I know that wouldn't work for RAW files as there is no place to tags in a RAW file but MOST of my pictures are jpg.

I have lightroom 3 and was hoping to use the PS10 Catalog to easily tag faces since Lightroom 3 doesn't have.
Lightroom 4 doesn't appear to be adding face tagging either (oversight).

I know ADOBE doesn't issue updates for products very much but this is a HUGE drawback when someone has a lot of pictures and needs to be corrected (unless I'm missing something)
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Face Recognition in PS10 catalog - ARGGGGG

Postby Barb O » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:02 pm

.could I use Picaso 3 to do the facial recognition and write the tags into the pictures....and THEN would PS10 read in the tags written by Picaso ??

I don't think you can. I think that is because Picasa and the Adobe Organizer use different methods of recording this "person" information.

I've very frustrated by the fact that when it say WHO IS THIS and I type in a name ....I have to type in the whole first and last name....
It does give some suggestions below the picture but many/most the time it is wrong ....leaving me to type the ENTIRE first and last name
Each time I type a name again, I run the risk of typing it wrong...creating extra tags.

My understanding is that the Facial Recognition should be learning from your prior identification of photos - but I don't know the specifics.

I suggest that you post this question about Facial Recognition on the Adobe Photoshop Elements forum. Adobe developers do sometimes participate at that forum . http://www.adobe.com/support/photoshopelements/
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:10 am

One thing not to do is select all 30000 photos and then start face recognition. Do a little bit at a time so you can build up the names list. When you start the next face recognition scan, the first and last names of people you previously identified should be available. Also, don't try recognizing faces that Adobe hasn't picked out for recognition, such as profiles or small faces or partially hidden. That will really make face recognition difficult in subsequent scans.

That's easy for me to say, as I don't have that many faces, although I have 27000 items in the Organizer.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby tjodork » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:58 am

Dealing with the problem that the name suggestions do not show up as you start to type the name is very frustrating.
Someone correctly pointed out if you delete all the tags in your catalog and start over with facial recognition and add names, the right names based on starting letters WILL WORK.
What may not be clear is that you don't have to delete ALL tags ....just any tags in PEOPLE category.

I had done a fair amount of tagging and did not want to lose that so there is one more thing you can do....to not lose your work which is to select pictures with a certain tag...assign a temp tag to those pictures(using facial recog features), then delete the original tag and finally edit the temporary tag to match what you want.

Here is an example
1. Double Click on the Megan tag (all the pictures with Megan show)
2. Create temp tag (i.e. MeganXX) using facial recog features (either fill in "Who is this" or click "Add a missing person"
3. Double Click on the Megan tag (all the pictures with Megan show)
4. Select all Megan pictures with Cntr-A
5. Drag MeganXX to all the pictures
6. Make sure all are assigned to temp tag by double clicking on MeganXX (they should all show)
7. Delete all original Megan tags ==>selected all with Ctrl-A, click on blue tag icon on a pic and select Remove Megan tag
8. Make sure they are no Megan tags left by double clicking on Megan tag
9. Delete original Megan tag
10. Edit MeganXX tag to be Megan

This seems like a lot of work..... but it goes pretty quick.

I think it is completely ridiculous that Adobe dropped the ball on using existing People tags ...is almost beyond belief....like
people would not have created and tagged any people.
But...if you want to use the facial recogition and have some of your pictures already tagged you may want to consider.
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Photoshop Elements