They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Restoring Catalogs After Computer Reset

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

Restoring Catalogs After Computer Reset

Postby kenskopp » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:22 pm

Hello,

I am totaly confused. I had to reset my computer to factory default. I have reloaded Adobe PSE2021. I have tried twice to restore catalogs.

Fact: on my"C" drive is "Program Data/Adobe/Elements Organizer/ Catalog" folder. I have five separate catalogs. All my photos and videos are in folders on another internal drive "D". On "drive" D, I have the Adobe Backups of my five catalogs. Currently on my Catalog folder on drive "C" is a catalog I restored plus all of the folders with the photos and videos for the catalog. In PSE2021, all the photos and videos in the albums are marked "?" as missing. When I check the location of a photo it shows in the drive "C" not the drive "D".

When I pick a catalog to restore, I widow opens up with a section on top that says "Restore from..." and the bottom section says Restore to...". My question is what do I select in each part to restore a catalog so there are no missing files. I currently can go in and select an album that has missing files on drive "C" and delect them from the catalog and the add the files from drive "D". This is very labor intensive since I have over 100,000 photos in my folders.

In the Catalog folder on my "C" drive, I notice that the two out of five catalogs I have attempted to restore have a folder with "Caxmpfiles" in it. Pleas help me restore my catalogs with the "caxmpfiles in my drive "C" and the photos in my albums are connected to my photos on my "D" drive.

Thank you
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Restoring Catalogs After Computer Reset

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:35 pm

Assuming you plan to have all of your photos and videos back on your C drive, I assume you restore from whatever drive you backed up to back to your C drive.

That is if I'm understanding you right.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:00 am

Hello Steve,

All my photos and videos are on my second internal hard drive. Only things on "C" drive are the Adobe programs and other program files. I have been experimenting. When I told PSE to restore to "C" drive, I got catalog in PSE with photo folders copied to "C" drive. There seems to be a connection with the data located in "C:/Program data/adobe/elements organizer/catalogs folder". Before my factory reset, I had 5 catalogs with the "caxmpfiles, face analysis and waldo data" in each catalog folder. I am not sure what the connection is with the folders with the "caxmpfiles" and the backup.tly files on my second internal hard drive. My photos and videos are backed up to an external drive.

Ken
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:07 pm

Hopefully someone who understands Organizer backups better than I do will have a suggestion.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Photoshop Elements