They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Camera Shutter Transition

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

Camera Shutter Transition

Postby soneal » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Does any one know of a way I can get a camera shutter style transition? I've got a slideshow that's basically a looping pictorial directory for a youth group. I will be burning to DVD for looping on multiple TVs. I'd love to have a nice animated transition between photos and liked the idea of the old style camera shutter opening / closing sequence. I can't find anything that will do the job. I know I can use the standard transitions (like the iris style) but I'd like to have the actual moving shutters. Most likely will not use sound. Any ideas would be greatly helpful!

Thanks!

Scott
soneal
New User
New User

Re: Camera Shutter Transition

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi Scott,
Welcome to Muvipix :meet:

One of our Moderators, Beth, created that effect and shared it as a preset, also included the camera sound effect to go with it.
Basically the effect is created using the Lens Flare effect. Beth has become well known for her creativity and use of this effect.

Here is Beth's tutorial on how to create the effect
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3761&p=32618&hilit=camera+flash#p32618

I think the presets still work, you can import and give it a try. There are 4 presets and two sound effects included.
http://www.chuckengels.com/PremierVideo ... ets/BethW/

One of the presets adds a white frame border around the image, looks very professional and is a great touch.
You can see the end results here
http://www.chuckengels.com/PremierVideo ... 033005.WMV
There is a sample at about 35 seconds.

If you need help with anything else just let us know :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby soneal » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:51 pm

This is very nice and helps me with another project I was thinking of doing. Thanks for forwarding and the quick response.

Do you know of anything that might include the shutter blades?

Thanks,

Scott
soneal
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:04 pm

Are you looking for more of the 'James Bond' kind of camera shutter transition?
We have talked about that in the past and it is possible to create but would be a very time consuming task.

The above presets and suggestions are for Premiere Elements. If you are using another editing tool there might be something else available, what are you using to create your slideshow?

We also have a ProShow section, ProShow is one of the top slideshow creation tools around. Some of the users here might have some ideas for you too.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:40 pm

I played with PrEl3 a long time ago trying to create the shutter blades. Gave up. If this slideshow will play on loop you may want to have easy on the eyes transitions. Maybe dip to black or dissolves. How long is the slideshow? How long will it be playing on loop?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby soneal » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm using PrEL8 and yes the 'James Bond' style was my aim. Intent was to take 80 photos and crop to fill 75% of screen with name and other text along top and bottom. Expect to transition every 5 - 6 seconds on wall mounted TVs. You might be right about a softer transition. I should do a small sample and test.

Thanks for your help!
soneal
New User
New User

Postby Jayell » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:49 pm

That James Bond effect would be really cool to have available .. but I think Cheryl's right .. it would make me crazy after the first few transitions.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:54 pm

The snapshot effect that Beth did is very cool and worth using, but just like anything else it is easily used too much.
Same goes for the James Bond type snapshot transition, it can be too much if used to often.
Most times you want to use a cross dissolve or a straight cut most of the time, then use the fancy transitions in limited quantities, few and far between. You kind of need to get the feel of the slideshow before deciding what transitions to add where.

I will check around and see if I can find something that works for the James Bond effect. Might be that one of the plug ins has that, like Vitascene from ProDad.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:02 am

Chuck Engels wrote:....Most times you want to use a cross dissolve or a straight cut most of the time, then use the fancy transitions in limited quantities, few and far between.......

I agree with Chuck and rarely go beyond the 'base three' of cross dissolves, fade to black and straight cut - at least for stuff that I am doing for myself.

In contrast, when I do slideshows for other folk, I show them a couple of samples, one using the 'base three' only and one using multiple transitions. This gives them an idea of what sort of result they might expect (and helps me manage expectations :-D ). In most cases they opt for the multiple transition style.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:57 am

My top favorite transitions are gradient wipes (can set softness), dissolves, dip to black, & dip to white (sparingly). My current project is a fun piece and added a spin which looks like it starts in the center and moves outward. I try to stay consistent through out the project. Steve's corner gradient wipes are very good and will use LL for a few and then a few dissolves, the next set a few UL and then a few dissolves. Same thing with pans & zooms...keep things in a few direction and then a few in the next direction. That way you aren't zooming up and down. I look at my early projects and think that I should go back and redo :-8

The James Bond transition would be great for an opener...giving suspense. I think it depends on the project. For a wedding segment of the ceremony I use mainly dissolves and gradients for the procession. For the reception I use more fun transitions.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:45 am

The James Bond look is a view down a gun barrel. The barrel opening doesn't change. What you are describing is a leaf shutter closing and opening. That would be difficult to set up from scratch in Premiere Elements, but would be easy in After Effects. A sequence with transparency could be exported that coulc then overlay the footage in Premiere.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:32 pm

Ahhh, you are correct Bob. The James bond opening is a gun barrel
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpDLRkf2CD0[/youtube]

Here is something about the leaf shutter transition
http://forums.creativecow.net/archivethread/8/662230

There is an image of a leaf shutter here
http://www.shortcourses.com/guide/guide2-23.html

Here it is as stock footage you can buy for $25
http://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/1487 ... osing.html
If they did it some should be able to make it, but probably best done in After Effects like Bob said.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Creating Slideshows