They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Copywrite Sensitivity

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

Copywrite Sensitivity

Postby rtk1958 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi All,

I'm sure this topic has been brought up before, but couldn't find what I was looking for via search and am new to the slideshow "production" scene so here goes ...

I had a blast creating a patriotic slideshow using exclusively photos and images freely downloaded from the internet. Most from sites that clearly stipulated that all photos/images were free to use for non-business, non-commercial, personal use. However, some were download via Google Image search, but still, available for free and unrestricted download. No photos/images have copywrite notices or other identifying watermarks on them. I think, however, that this does not preclude the possibility that these photos/images are still subject to copywrite restrictions.

I would love to upload my slideshow here and to Youtube and for viewing purposes only, i.e., non-business and non-commercial, with no motivation to profit monetarily or generate revenue in anyway. To do this, would I need to get waivers and/or permission from each photo/image's owner (of which there were many)? Would I need to acknowledge in the credits the sources of my slideshow's photos/images? There are many from several sources, would be difficult to do, but would be willing to do it if necessary. I have no problem with giving credit to all the sources of the content I used. I regret not making note of all the sources while I was researching content for the show.

Would it be really bad to just post it here or on Youtube as-is and take my chances? Seems that unless there is money involved somehow, there probably wouldn't be much to worry about, but just don't know. Just getting started and don't want to get started on the wrong foot.

Would appreciate any advice I could get.

Thanks,
Todd
rtk1958

Re: Copywrite Sensitivity

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue May 25, 2010 7:45 am

Hi, Todd! Welcome to our Muvipix community!

You ask some great questions. And it's true that it's very important to respect the digital rights of all artists and copyright owners.

However, YouTube seems to have changed the rules a bit in the last several years. Or at least added a lot of gray area. Unless you intentionally stole photos from an iStock-style site, where artists make their living selling their photos, you're probably not doing any serious damage sharing your slideshow online.

You didn't mention music, but there too you may well be in a copyright/digital rights gray area. As I'm sure you well know, you don't have to poke around YouTube much to find any number of popular songs backing or even featured in videos!

So as a rule of thumb, unless you're intentionally out to deprive other artists of their due income, you're not going run into any problems. Worst case (as I'm sure you've also seen on YouTube), you'll be asked to remove your video.

In short -- I think you'll be okay. In fact, you may well be more cautious that 95% of the people out there sharing videos!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue May 25, 2010 9:06 am

Very well put Steve, I totally agree.
I guess my thoughts are more, "seek forgiveness rather than permission", these days.
If someone thinks you are in violation of something you will be asked to remove the video.
As long as you do that you will be fine. If you try to sell the video that would be a different story ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed May 26, 2010 10:19 am

Here is a great example that I think helps you address your concerns. Great track too!

http://yeli.us/Flash/Fire.html
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 26, 2010 3:03 pm

That's one of the most fun music videos I've ever seen, John! Thanks for the link!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Creating Slideshows