They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PSE adding only one of the preset effects to a slide

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

PSE adding only one of the preset effects to a slide

Postby TexMommy » Fri May 15, 2009 1:51 pm

I created several slideshows with PSE 4, with no problems, but now I have PSE 7 AND a new computer, and I've run into a problem. When I try to apply both a pan and a zoom to a slide, only the last one selected ends up applied. In other words, I add a horizontal pan. Then I add a zoom out. When I preview, I only get the zoom out. It's like the second effect replaces the first. Is there something I'm missing here? I thought I was starting a quickie project, since I've done this before, but now I am thoroughly baffled. Please help!! Thanks, TFlanagan
TexMommy
New User
New User

Re: PSE adding only one of the preset effects to a slide

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 15, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi TFlanagan, Welcome to Muvipix :)

Let me verify that you are talking about Photoshop Elements 4 and 7, not Premiere Elements 4 and 7 correct?

In Photoshop Elements you add a pan or zoom and then select the 'Add Another Pan Or Zoom To This Image'.
At that point it creates a copy of the image as a new slide and you can add another pan or zoom. In this case it is best to have the start point of the new slide where the last slide ended, makes it much smoother that way. I did not have any problems adding a pan and a zoom to the same image in versions 6 or 7, I no longer have version 4 but some things regarding slide shows have changed since then. :meet:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby TexMommy » Fri May 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi, Chuck, Thanks so much for your quick reply! Actually, I'm using Premiere Elements...I think I used the wrong acronym...sorry about that. :( Anyway, my other slide shows were done with Premiere Elements 4, and I folllowed the steps in your tutorial exactly (using presets for a horizonal image zoom and horizontal image pan L-R on the first slide, then vertical zoom in and vertical pan down on the second slide, then copying the attributes to every other slide accordingly). It worked beautifully for me then. Now I have Premiere Elements 7, and I followed the same steps, but when I bring in the pans, they cancel out the zooms. After I posted a little while ago, I was curious to know if this would happen with all presets (not just pans and zooms), so I added a blur to picture #1 and a twirl to picture #2, and those effects did NOT cancel out the pans. (But the zooms still weren't working.) I can't understand why it would work diferently in Premiere 7--everything seems to be the same except for this dilemma! Please help! :)
TexMommy
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 15, 2009 3:12 pm

You are correct that it was possible in version 4 but is no longer possible in version 7. Not sure why or how but that is the way it seems to work now.

The best thing you can do is to learn to keyframe the pan and zoom yourself rather than using the presets. It's not as hard as you might think and there are lots of great people here to help you out :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby TexMommy » Fri May 15, 2009 5:45 pm

Chuck, Thanks so much for the information--I'm actually relieved (sounds weird, I know--but I was afraid there was (1) something wrong with my new computer OR (2) that my blonde moments and senior moments were colliding and causing me irreparable lack of brain function). :lol: I love learning new techniques, so I'll move right on to the keyframing. I've ordered the muvipix book & it should be here by Monday...I'm sure I'll have questions then...this board is a godsend! Thanks again!
TexMommy
New User
New User

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri May 15, 2009 6:46 pm

What you need to do is apply a Pan preset to one still, and apply a Zoom preset to a second still. Select the second still, open up the Motion effect in the properties panel, and click the "Show Keyframes" icon so you can see the individual keyframes. Select the two "Scale" keyframes and right-click on one of them and select "Copy." Position the CTI to the beginning of the first still, make sure the first still is selected, and open up the Motion effect. Click the "Show Keyframes" icon. Right-click in the open space and select "Paste." Now there should keyframes for the Position and Scale properties. Now you can copy the first still and paste attributes to other stills.

You can save the Motion effect of the first still as your own preset.

So basically you need one still for each property of the Motion effect that you want to keyframe. Then copy the keyframes of the individual properties of the "extra" stills and paste then into the Motion effect of the "first" still.

Hope that makes sense.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 15, 2009 7:41 pm

Very nice explanation RJ but it still remains that it used to work fine and now it doesn't anymore.
There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to apply a pan preset and then a zoom preset to the same clip.
Pan is a position property and zoom is a scale property, there is no reason for the one to overwrite the other.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri May 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Very nice explanation RJ but it still remains that it used to work fine and now it doesn't anymore.
There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to apply a pan preset and then a zoom preset to the same clip.
Pan is a position property and zoom is a scale property, there is no reason for the one to overwrite the other.

Don't know why they changed it, but they did, and now we have to deal with it.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 15, 2009 8:38 pm

RJ Johnston wrote: and now we have to deal with it.

Unless they change it back 8-[

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sat May 16, 2009 12:28 am

Could be a bug. Has anyone filed a bug report on it?
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat May 16, 2009 10:07 am

Bob wrote:Could be a bug. Has anyone filed a bug report on it?

I have

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Creating Slideshows