They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Help Houston, we have a transcode error

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

Help Houston, we have a transcode error

Postby DaleTodd » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:30 am

Houston, we have a problem, I am burning my first DVD of a family slide show and with 79 percent of the show being burned I received a transcode error. Prior to the transcode error message, I had transferred it from Photoshop Elements 6 as a WAV file into Premiere Elements 4. There are 668 slides, with music. It runs 58:30. I am using windows XP and I have 402 GB of free space. I was not using my computer for anything else at the time. I am a novice and this show is very important. Any help is appreciated.
DaleTodd
New User
New User

Re: Help Houston, we have a transcode error

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:40 am

Hi Dale,
Rather than exporting as a WMV (which is what I assume you mean instead of WAV) you really should do the 'Send to Premiere Elements) instead.

The other option, using what you already have, is to go to the main menu and select File/Export/Movie and export an AVI version of your slideshow.
Then, using Add Media in a new project, import the AVI file, add your menu and try burning again.

Yet another option would be to import the WMV into Windows Movie Maker and convert to a AVI file from there. That file can be used in a Premiere Elements project.

One of the reasons that Photoshop Elements now has a 'Send to Premiere Elements' option is because the WMV exports never worked that well. Option 1 above would be your best bet.

Let us know how you get along :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby DaleTodd » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:57 am

Option one is what it is...I am defragging now because I saw that might be an issue but as soon as this is done...option one is a go....thanks
DaleTodd
New User
New User

Postby DaleTodd » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:00 am

However Chuck right now the photoshop elements slideshow is in a WMV file, what do I need to do to change it back to what it was prior so that I can then send it back to elements?
DaleTodd
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:41 am

Open the slideshow in Photoshop Elements and then use the 'Send to Premiere Elements' option, do not export to WMV.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:49 am

When you output the slideshow using the Send to Premiere Elements option it will open a new project in Premiere Elements.
You can leave the single Photoshop Elements Slideshow file on the timeline or you can right click on it and select 'Break Apart Slideshow' and it will insert all of the images individually along with the transitions and any other effects you added in Photoshop Elements. You would use the Break Apart if you wanted to make more changes.

This would be the place to add the music, rather than in Photoshop Elements. It would be easier to work with the music in Premiere Elements, after you learn the program a little better it will be much easier :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby moviemaker » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:06 am

could it be the brand of cd/dvd you are using? i bought memorex before ,they stink>and thanks to the search feature on this forum, i switch brands and it burned fine, but that was in premeiere as well, just a thought
moviemaker

Postby DaleTodd » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:24 am

I have a cheap HP dvd+r 16x?????????
Maybe
DaleTodd
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:04 pm

The transcoding error is not due to a DVD, if you have problems burning the DVD that could be a problem.
The transcoding comes before the burning so the DVD is not an issue at this point.
HP discs are not the best but you probably won't have any problems with them.
You might want to consider Verbatim or another reliable brand in the future though.

Did you use the Send to Premiere Elements option in the Photoshop Elements slideshow yet?

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:38 pm

Chuck,
It is not very often that I disagree with you - but this time I am going to raise a concern. Dale's post says he has 668 slides. This raises a concern for me that after a Break Apart there could be a "capacity" problem for Premiere Elements processing all these slides.

The option that I would try first is to take that WMV file into Movie Maker and from there save it as a DV-AVI. Then import that DV-AVI to a new Premiere Elements project. Dale can reference the following FAQ is written for Movie Maker on XP at
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc247e2 or I think there is also a muvipix tutorial.

Dale,
A question for you - what resolution are the photo files used in this slide show?
For example are they from a 3 megapixel camera or an 8 megapixel camera? Or if they are scanned, what resolution was used on the scan? Did you downsize the resolution of those photo files before you added them to the Photoshop Elements slide show ? (My guess is that you did not downsize the photo resolution because most people do not.) Why I am asking - because this info might make a difference on the best way to approach working with this specific project in Premiere Elements.

Dale, whatever your try in Premiere Elements, do keep your Photoshop Elements slide show project: in other words don't delete it.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:00 pm

That's why you are a Moderator Barb, because you provide valuable feedback :)

Breaking apart the slideshow isn't necessary and I would suggest trying to burn the DVD without breaking it apart.
I had already suggested running the file through Movie Maker and exporting as AVI from Premiere Elements, as alternatives.

The 'Send to Premiere Elements' should work as long as you don't try to break apart the slideshow. If all goes well and you want to make some changes later you can try the 'Break Apart' and see what happens.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:22 pm

Did you try burning to a folder first, and then using your burning software to burn to disc?
Peru

Postby Barb O » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:33 pm

Chuck, a specific question
Should Dale use the Burn to a Folder in Premiere Elements so that the encoding step is separate and if there were to be any problems writing to the actual disc then the completed encoding would still remain on his hard drive?

Breaking apart the slideshow isn't necessary and I would suggest trying to burn the DVD without breaking it apart. ...
The 'Send to Premiere Elements' should work as long as you don't try to break apart the slideshow.

Chuck and Dale,
I am less optimistic that the Send the Slideshow and then burn to DVD (without the Break Apart) will succeed for the 600 plus slides.
My initial judgment was that the read the WMV in to Movie Maker and save as DV-AVI had better odds of succeeding: however that judgment is very subjective

So I modify my suggestions to say

1- Try the Send the Slideshow to Premiere Elements, do not Break Apart, and do the Burn to DVD (Burn to DVD with the burn to folder option chosen). Be aware that the encoding will probably take a very long time.

2- If method 1 fails during the encoding and it is not easy to identify why it failed, then change the approach and read the WMV file from PSE in to Windows Movie Maker, save as DV-AVI and bring that DV-AVI in to a new Premiere Elements project.

Method 1 will most probably will give you a higher quality image on the final DVD: however if it is problematic then hopefully method 2 should be able to give you an OK quality image on the DVD.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:49 pm

I don't think there will be a problem burning to the DVD, but just for the sake of bypassing any and all possible problems you could burn to a folder first.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Creating Slideshows