They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Regarding Steve's Article: 'Don't just make a video .. '

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

Regarding Steve's Article: 'Don't just make a video .. '

Postby Jayell » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:05 pm

Thanks, Steve .. your article was very helpful. I'm just stumbling into creating a story of my husband's life .. but to your point, I'm trying to figure out how to make it more than just the chronological events in his life. I didn't meet him until he was almost 50 years old, so I'm thinking of taking the approach of how he has affected the people around him in the 26 years I knew him.

He's gone now, so I had no opportunity to plan shots or video. It would be nice to be able to interview his kids and some of his friends, except his passing is still a little too fresh for any of us to make it through an interview :crybaby:. But you've certainly given me some things to think about. If there's any unique tricks or ideas to telling a story when the pool of photos is already fixed, let me know (I do have hundreds of photos). And I'm interested in any ideas folks might have for a different perspective.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Regarding Steve's Article: 'Don't just make a video .. '

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:30 pm

I'm sorry that everyone is still too sensitive to talk about him, Jayell. There's no greater tribute than hearing a man's story as told by the many people who knew and loved him.

But, even without it, those photos are a priceless way to tell his story. And, if you do a little Ken Burns panning and zooming (keyframing), still photos can seem just as alive as video.

Over the course of a lifetime, everyone has lived at least a couple of great stories. For my parents' 50th anniversary a few years back, I used old photos to tell the story of how, while working construction during the day, my father, over the course of 6 months, worked evening and weekends, trading favors with other construction workers, and literally built his own house! We moved in just in time for Mom to have child number 4 -- and another was right behind it.

In other words, Dad, one brick at a time, built the house he'd raise his pretty sizeable family in even while supporting a family that already had three kids, living in a little, rented apartment. It's still an achievement he's very proud of!

If you met your husband when he was 50 and then spent another 26 years together, I'm sure you've got three or four great stories -- both before he met you and after. Was he a World War II vet? Korea? Did he or his family migrate from Europe? What did he do for a living? What did you two do together that you never dreamed you'd do before you met each other?

These are all great stories. And I am always continually amazed at the stories I hear about even the most humble lives.

If I can be of any help at all in helping you pull together your stories from all those nearly 8 decades of experiences, please feel free to e-mail me directly. These are the most exciting projects!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:20 pm

Each time I read through your posts on this subject, Steve, I get another idea. Yes, I can see a few ideas to build around. A lovely 'camping trip' to Korea in the early 50's .. his engineering work at Aerojet during some of the early space missions .. our trip through the Panama Canal .. a building in Tucson dedicated to him recently.

Do you actually record the narration first .. then fit the photos or video into it? Or just write it out .. then sort of integrate them together .. then do the narration at the end? When I did my Dad's life story last year (which isn't quite finished yet - his life, not the story), I piece-mealed the narration .. and unfortunately you could tell it was narrated at different times, tones, and volume .. but it was my first real video.

Oh .. and will tears damage the keyboard? ;)

Edit: oh, and thanks for the offer for private help .. I may need it as I get into this.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:35 pm

Wow! Even without trying, it sounds like you've got lots of great stories to tell! This is going to be a great video!

Usually, I just study my photos to get a general idea of what I have and then I go take a walk. Get away from the pictures and just let the stories and narration form in my head.

I then go home and, still not looking at the photos, right out the narration like I'm telling the story. And I then lay in the pictures to support my storytelling, usually with some appropriate music from the era I'm describing.

When it's done, I usually throw out about a third of my narration because I've found the pictures and music tell the story so well that I don't have to be nearly so literal!

And, yes, you may well find some tears as you work through reminders of the loved one you've lost. But you might also find yourself healed in wonderful ways as you see these precious memories come back to life in ways that only you can share them!

I'm currently working on a piece that tells the remarkable story about a friend who passed away over three decades ago, when we were in college together, and how some remarkable circumstances this summer reunited me with his family and showed me how big a role my friend has not only played in my life over the years but how much, without even knowing, I impacted his family! It was a difficult story to tell at first, but it has become something now very healing and empowering.

I'll certainly share it when it's done.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Creating Slideshows