They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

First Slideshow Post

Talk about slideshow creation, whether it's with Premiere and/or Photoshop Elements or a third party helper application.

First Slideshow Post

Postby Ron » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:35 pm

I thought I'd kick this section of the forum off with Microsoft's Photo Story 3. Extremely intuitive, especially if you want a quick slideshow without a lot of manual editing. But, don't underestimate its power and ability.

Worth a look, and best of all, it's FREE for Windows Users -

PhotoStory 3
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Clayton » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:24 pm

Cool. :glasses7:

Clayton
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri May 18, 2007 7:42 pm

:idea: If you're desperate for music, you can create music with Photo Story that fits the length of the slideshow and then import the music in other applications. For example, if you have a slideshow in Premiere Elements that is 3 minutes long, then create a "dummy" slideshow in Photo Story that is 3 minutes long and use the "create music" option, then import the file into Premiere Elements and take just the audio portion.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 18, 2007 10:29 pm

That's a great tip RJ, Thanks :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: First Slideshow Post

Postby Alley » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:17 am

I use Pro Show Producer by Photodex - it has an Pro version and a cheaper version. It is easy to use and produces some really impressive slide shows. The pro version is about $199 I think.

The downside is you can't mark chapters - you have to create several smaller shows if you want to separate them like that. But it allows for several layers, and total keyframing control over all the layers. Very easy to use and learn.
Alley
New User
New User

Postby JRjr » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:54 am

Alley wrote:I use Pro Show Producer by Photodex - it has an Pro version and a cheaper version. It is easy to use and produces some really impressive slide shows. The pro version is about $199 I think..

I'm elliglble for Pro Show Producers "loyal customer discount" and can get it for $99. I've been using their Gold version for simple slide shows because the output quality has been much better than what I could get from Photoshop El 4 and taking that show into PrEl2.

However, now that the new Adove suite is due to deliver Monday, Oct 8, I've been wondering if having both the Adobe products AND the Photodex one isn't overkill. Is there anything in ProShow that I can't also do in PhEl 6 and PrEl 4, assuming the output quality is at least equal?

Alley, can you shed some light on their comparative abilities/quality? Do you think having both would be necessary?

Thanks.

JRjr
JRjr

Postby Alley » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:11 am

Honestly, I can't. I am just learning Premiere Elements 3 (thinking of going to 4) but I do a ton of slide shows. And this makes is so much easier. For example:

a) I prepared some photos in a photo program with a white frame to look like a snapshot. I put a motion background down, then I have the photos flip or rotate in one at a time to build up on a pile. I can precicesly time when each one comes in and when it goes out and what it does when it is in place. You can precisely time when text comes in and out and assign many different in/out styles. You can include video as a layer if you want too.

b) I did a Hockey slide show where I used an ice rink as the backdrop, then I close cropped all the individual hockeyplayers in Photoshop Elements (each holding a stick) and had them skate from a distance up one direction to the right for example, then skate up to the front left and used a snow effect as a layer (digital juice MDE) to simulate snow when they stopped and added a skate scraping sound effect) - then I had the players name and number pop in from the side.

I presume you could do all of this in Premiere Elements. But it would be more time consuming. This just makes it easier. Also, you can out put flash, avi, mpeg, wmv as well. It allows you to start your show with a little company blurb before the menu comes up.

I'm still learning. I am sure it can do much more. The auto pan and zoom (motion) works pretty good - it doesn't do garish pan and zooms like some automatic show features I have seen. And it can rotate along with the pan and zoom.

I seem to do a lot of shows with 300 or more pictures. This is sure a nice feature not having to do each one individually.
Alley
New User
New User

Postby JRjr » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:31 am

Adobe aside with it's many nice features, I've found that ProShow Gold is not nearly as sensitive about file sizes as PrEl2 seems to be, although I could easily be wrong. I just use the Collection feature in PhEl Organizer and drop them into Gold already in the order I want them, but of course you can do the same in PrEl2 except that I always need to downsize them to 720 x 480 (I think that's right). This step thus creates yet another version of my already "edited" versions.

I guess the point of my post is simply to say that for slide shows I've gotten better results and yes, faster with Gold, but I still use PrEL to create my sound track which I then import back into Gold.

I don't have PrEl3 but I understand that exporting a slide show from PhEl into PrEl no longer degrades as it does in the prior version, and I guess that's why I should wait to see what 6/4 does before I invest yet more money. I do all this strictly for kicks, no income involved at all. More like outcome! And lots of it!

JRjr
JRjr

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:32 am

ProShow Gold and ProShow Producer are excellent programs and loved by many Premiere Elements users.

For slideshow creation I don't think you can get any better or easier. Yes you can do all the same things in Premiere Elements but it does take more time as Alley suggested.
If you are doing video and photo projects definitely use Premiere Elements, but for straight photo only slideshows ProShow is the way to go, unless you like the unlimited control of Premiere Elements like I do ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:34 am

Alley, I hope you'll share some samples of your work in our Gallery some time!

Meantime, just one word of warning when dealing with Premiere Elements and slideshows. The single biggest weakness in the program is it's ability to handle and down-rez large photo files. I recommend that, before you create any slideshow in Premiere Elements -- even if you start the slideshow in Photoshop Elements -- that you reduce your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels. Believe me, it will speed up the transcoding process when you output and greatly reduce the likelihood of a crash during DVD burning.

Photoshop Elements has a batch processor for doing photo down-rezzing. Under File, look for Process Multiple Files. Select the option to reduce photo sizes, check the option to constrain proportions and set the height for 750 pixels. The program does the rest. You can even tell it to save your reduced-size photos to a new location so that you can keep your originals in their native resolution.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JRjr » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:41 am

Chuck Engels wrote: ... unless you like the unlimited control of Premiere Elements like I do ;)

Yes, but when is unlimited control too much control? :mrgreen:

But yes you're right, I find keying easier in Elements, and yes you're right, ProShow is faster for less involved shows! I'll probably get both, if past habits hold true.

Thanks for the advice.

JRjr
JRjr

Postby timbuk2 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:21 pm

Yes, I thought that was very interesting until I discovered that you have to purchase a Sonic Plug In for $19 to burn your slide show to DVD. I'm trying to find the easiest, cheapest and of course, most professional looking way to accomplish this. I have Adobe Premier Elements 3.0, but I understand that is an overkill for creating a simple slideshow with music and burning it to DVD to play on a TV with menus. ](*,)
I suppose I should just dish out some more $$$ and buy Pro Show Gold or something as I will be doing this quite a bit with photos.
timbuk2
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:29 pm

I do all of my slideshows with Premiere Elements, it is not overkill to me.
What it does take is more time to learn and in some cases more time to create the finished project and the DVD.
I wouldn't use any other tool, you don't have to either.

You would be better off spending $49.95 on a muvipix subscription, watching all of the video tutorials and reading Steve's articles.
If you want to spend another $16 you can buy the In A Snap book to guide you the rest of the way, not very much $$ and you will get all of the help you need right here :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:28 am

What a salesman!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll take six!!
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby kodebuster » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:31 am

Interesting, went to the link, and the sys req's indicates it's for XP, no mention of Vista.

With all the hype around Vista, you'd think it was available under their new flagship OS.

Anyone know if a Vista version is available, or in the works...
Intel i7Core Quad (i7-940) @ 2.93 Ghz, 12gig Mem 1066 MHz , 1gig Nvidia GeForce, 1TB HDD with Raid 0 (2x500), 3TB Storage
PE7, Vista-64, Sony DCR-DVD305 (MiniDVD)

If everything seems under control, then your just not going fast enough ~ Mario Andretti.
kodebuster
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to Creating Slideshows