They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hi Muvipix

A place to introduce and tell a little about yourself.

Hi Muvipix

Postby admoss68 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:17 pm

My Name is Doug and I live in a beautiful part of the world in Brisbane, Australia.
Congraulations on a great site.
I have been playing with PSE5 & PRE3 for sometime and I have now purchased PSE8 & PRE8. What a jump up! I talked my brother-in-law, Dick, into purchasing the lastest programs so that we could support one another in getting the best out of these programs.
I have a couple of questions straight away.
How can I purchase Steve's book on PRE8?
A more complex Question. Dick has a new desk top computer running windows 7 64 bit and when buring to disc, the burner rejects the disc at 96% into burning with the error message 2130906112. The burner he is using is LG GH22NS50. Any suggestions?
I am running Vista 32 with no such problems.
I asked the adobe forum a question about resizing with no replies yet. That's when I bumped into your site.
When is the best time to resize slides? When I down load from the camera or after I have edited in PSE?

Doug from Oz
2.4 ghz Core 2 duo E6600 running windows vista service pack2, 32-bit with 4 gigs RAM. NVIDIA GeForce 78600GT Graphics card. 2 internal Sata drives 320GB, 600GB, 20000GB. 1500GB External hard drive
admoss68
New User
New User

Re: Hi Muvipix

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:25 pm

Hi, Doug. Welcome to Muvipix!

I can't believe you haven't gotten a response to your post on the Adobe forum yet. I police the site pretty well, and it's a rare post that neither I nor Tony or Hunt don't at least take a swing at. Are you sure you posted it to the Premiere Elements forum?

As for my book, you can purchase it through this site, from our products link that runs along the left side of this page.

If, for some reason, you can't get to it from Australia, you can also buy a copy directly from me. Just send me a private message and we'll figure out a cost that includes international shipping.

As for your DVD burning problem, try burning to a folder on your hard drive rather than directly to a disc. (A trick from the book!) This will eliminate the possibility that your problem is with the disc or the burner itself. If you're still having problems burning to a folder on your hard drive, then we know the problem is most likely relate to the project itself -- and we can troubleshoot that.

But that's one for one of our Premiere Elements forums! This one is about introductions.

And it's great to have you aboard! Welcome! I'm sure you'll meet lots of great, new friends here -- including more than a few Aussies!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi Doug, Welcome to Muvipix :meet:

What type of media is being used? Sometimes the cheap DVDs won't work very well.
Could be a couple of other things as well but the DVDs are very likely the cause of the problem
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby admoss68 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:04 pm

Thanks for the Welcome Steve. I was just watching one of your video demos. It's a great way to recall family events and holidays.
I posted the Question "on when is the best time to resize slides" to the PSE site. Should I have posted it to the PRE site?

Doug
2.4 ghz Core 2 duo E6600 running windows vista service pack2, 32-bit with 4 gigs RAM. NVIDIA GeForce 78600GT Graphics card. 2 internal Sata drives 320GB, 600GB, 20000GB. 1500GB External hard drive
admoss68
New User
New User

Postby Helen » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:20 pm

A big welcome to Muvipix from another Brisbane resident. :meet:

It is great to see a few more Aussies joining. The help and support I have received from Muvipix is great and I have had a few problems solved in no time.

Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:35 pm

Doug welcome to Muvipix! :meet:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:04 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, Doug! :meet:

The Adobe PRE site would possibly have been a better choice than the Adobe PSE, but we can certainly help you out here. In general, for highest quality, you will want to make your edits and corrections to the slides using the photos you downloaded from the camera. After you've made your edits, you can use the batch processing capability of PSE to resize all the images at once and/or copy them to a new folder -- usually, people want to retain the high resolution photos for prints or other purposes.
Bob

Postby Paul LS » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:05 pm

Yep, a big ol' welcome... :-5
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:06 pm

Welcome to Muvipix! :TU:
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby admoss68 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:26 pm

Thanks for the welcome Chuck and the reply on the burning problem.
I will start with the cheap DVD's Theory first.
Hi Helen, thanks also for the welcome and a Brisbanian to boot.
Doug
admoss68
New User
New User

Postby admoss68 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi Bob,
Thats great advise and thanks for the welcome.
My only thought is that if you have several version sets with your slides, then 'process multiple files' will resize all the version sets as individual slides.
Is there an easy solution this minor problem?
Doug
admoss68
New User
New User

Postby Barb O » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:17 pm

admoss68 wrote:Thanks for the Welcome Steve. I was just watching one of your video demos. It's a great way to recall family events and holidays.
I posted the Question "on when is the best time to resize slides" to the PSE site. Should I have posted it to the PRE site?

Doug

Doug,

I had read your post on the PSE forum but did not immediately understand your context and since I was a bit rushed I did not reply at that time to ask for more information.

Since now I understand that your question is relevant to preparing for using Premiere Elements, it might have been answered quicker on the Premiere Elements forum. And as a general comment, my suggestion for the Adobe forums is to post questions that involve both Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements on the Adobe Premiere Elements forum. Why? - because more people who use both products frequent the Premiere Elements forum. Of course, you can always come here ....

Now, some comments on your question
-- I usually downsize (decrease resolution for the purpose of using a photo in a video made with Premiere Elements) AND save a SEPARATE file of the downsized resolution AFTER editing. This is important for example if I might also print that photo now or in the future because the print process will require significantly higher resolution. However, even if you will not print you might want to use the photo at higher resolution in the future for some not yet identified reason. A possible example is that you are now making a standard definition DVD, but in the future you might want to use the same photo to display on a computer monitor or to make a high definition DVD for which you would want a higher resolution photo.

-- If I am making a 16x9 widescreen video, I will usually crop the photos to 16:9 proportional dimensions before I add it to the slideshow. Note that this is not the only options: you can position a photo using Premiere Elements, so my choice may be subconsciously be based on the fact that I know Photoshop Elements better.

-- At one point some people concluded that using the Photoshop PSD format in Premiere Elements had benefits compared to using JPEG format photo files. I think this was that there was less "resource" required to do the Premiere Elements processing. Because this could be premiere elements version specific, if you are interested in more info on this point, I suggest that you post in the Premiere Elements forum here that is specific to your current version.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:30 pm

admoss68 wrote:Hi Bob,
Thats great advise and thanks for the welcome.
My only thought is that if you have several version sets with your slides, then 'process multiple files' will resize all the version sets as individual slides.
Is there an easy solution this minor problem?
Doug

1 -- Since you mentioned version sets, you must be using the Organizer function of Photoshop Elements.

We can discuss using the File > Export function of the Organizer to create the downsized photos from an Album. The Export function saves new copies in a different folder that you designate and (subject to verification for the specific version of PSE you have) I expect that it will use the top of the version set as the source for the downsize operation.

2 -- I am wondering if it is possible to do the Process Multiple Files on the Photo files Currently open in the Editor?

For this specific question, I do suggest that you start a new thread under the Photoshop Elements subforum here and include within your post your version numbers for both Photoshop and Premiere Elements. At the same time, a discussion could talk about whether PSD or JPEG format is a better choice.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:44 pm

2 -- I am wondering if it is possible to do the Process Multiple Files on the Photo files Currently open in the Editor?

Yes, that is one of the options.

Doug, Please do start a topic in the appropriate forum here and let us know which versions of the software you are using. Thanks!
Bob

Return to Introductions