They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hello from Central Alabama

A place to introduce and tell a little about yourself.

Re: Hello from Central Alabama

Postby bamagal » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, I know I will enjoy this group. If you travel across the state on I-20 you travel right by me, I'm in Pell City which is about 30 miles east of Birmingham. I have been to Atlanta many times. Been to Mississippi a couple times down at the coast. What a terrible sight when I went down there after Katrina. It just broke my heart to see all the destruction. Its one thing to see it on tv but a whole different thing to see it in person.

I was a reluctant digi at first, a die hard film photog. But finally broke down and bought a little point and shoot at the beach one year and was hooked! I can now shoot like crazy and not have all that expense, why in the world did I wait sooooo long......lol. Those were the days ](*,) wondering if you had the shot. It wasnt so bad doing portraits but weddings always had me on the edge until I got the proofs back, and knock on wood, I never had any problems.

We have a arts and crafts fair called Homestead Hollow a couple times a year and there are usually a photog or two there, after I started doing videos it got me thinking about doing someting there. I could set up a few tvs and have the videos on loops playing for them to watch and then I could either pre-sell and or give them info about it. So now to just learn this progam and practice. I'm going to try to shoot for the one in the fall so it will give me plenty of time to figure out just how to present and price it.

And speaking of book writting, boy us photographers sure could tell some stories, aaahhhhhhh the weddings I have seen :drunken:
bamagal
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:23 pm

bamagal wrote:..... aaahhhhhhh the weddings I have seen :drunken:

I used to be a wedding photographer. One wedding I remember all of the children that were able to speak - and I mean from about three years old and up - had obviously imitated their parents. Talk about fluent in Anglo Saxon!! :???:

Hint if the Anglo Saxon reference is too vague. The language was apparently noted for short, one syllable words. Today we might call them expletives. :oops:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bill Hunt » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:07 pm

Glenda,

I've been through Pell City several times. Back before I-65 was done through B'ham, we'd often take 25-231 to bypass the construction. Same for 69 through Jasper. It all depended on where we were headed, or coming from.

I understand your feeling about the Coast. I grew up there, and thought I had seen the ultimate destruction after Camille. When we went back post-K, I was totally devastated. Luckily, my brother's home is just N of the L&N railway grade, so he escaped the damage, by a couple of blocks. All that I had known as a child was gone for three blocks off of the beach road, US-90. I had seen the satellite photos, the day after the storm and spent a week piecing them together and enhancing them. Since there was no telephone, or cell coverage, we only knew that brother was going to "ride it out." I had to see what the house looked like. Same for wife's family in New Orleans. I'm just glad that NASA/NOAA got those photographs up so quickly. Finally, we got a text message that all were OK!

I'm with you on the progress to the digital age. For almost a decade, all of my photographs were being drum scanned, and I had learned Photoshop from its beginning on the PC. Still, it was silver-capture for me. Then, I picked up a little Nikon 5700 and began doing "happy snaps" with it. I even used it for a few appropriate commercial jobs. Still have tons of film cameras, but they are mostly gathering dust now. Need to run those shutters more, just so they stay in time.

Again, welcome to Muvipix,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Introductions