They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hi

A place to introduce and tell a little about yourself.

Re: Hi

Postby kr236rk » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:20 pm

just re-checked ~ PE3 does not recognise "GB filters" when i type it into the effects bar - so the file hasn't appeared within this software

so i cannot activate the filter - because you have to use/open it, to activate it.

is there another way to paste a plug-in into PE3 please

how do i navigate to the PE3 plug in folder - this information is not in the software or in the PE3 manual

can't see anything resembling a plug-in folder in PE3

i'd expect to see it under Video Effects or something?

also wonder about the download - all the files seem to be "installer" types - can't see a DeFlicker file on its own?

thanks again

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:29 pm

Hi R,
Start here
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0\Plug-ins\en_US

I've also seen plugins placed in the Presets folder too and in the root folder of the version.
The path above is for version 4, just replace the 4.0 with a 3.0 above, everything else should be the same.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kr236rk » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:21 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Hi R,
Start here
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0\Plug-ins\en_US

I've also seen plugins placed in the Presets folder too and in the root folder of the version.
The path above is for version 4, just replace the 4.0 with a 3.0 above, everything else should be the same.

Thanks Chuck,

i did a file search for GBDeflicker and discovered the actual file hidden away in the C drive somewhere, so i was able to make a desktop icon for it but also able to copy it into the relevant Abobe PE3 Plug In folder, which i found in the Program Files

then when i restarted PE3 the GB file registration was there waiting for me - so in a short while i had the filter up and running: it works but i am unsure what effect it is having on my videos: i have chosen some particularly 'bumpy' clips which is perhaps unfair: tomorrow i need to sort something milder out and keep an original copy on another harddrive, whilst making a GB filtered copy somewhere else - so there's no chance the two files will get muddled up (so many 'test' files on my pc :-8 (lol), and compare the results, again and again if necessary

i can see this filter working though: it has a histogram you can toggle on and off - this is a very clever man ;)

will update

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:24 am

okay

selected one of my 'average' 30 second clips and made two versions of it with PE3: one with and one without the GBDeflicker filter - i then burned these to dvd with PE3. on playback there is an undeniable reduction in illumination jumpiness - where it occurs - as compared to the original clip, so this filter really works =D>

it has its limitations - but to go beyond what it does do well, would probably affect the original quality of a video too much; as it is, with the filter in place (at maximum '30'), abrupt transitions from light to dark can faze it for a split second, while it tries to balance the contrast: but the remedy is simple - you just toggle off the filter for two seconds, then switch it back on again

what this filter does is detect unreasonable contrast from one frame to the next, and attempt to smooth the illumination - to match the relative illumination between frames - find a median - and it does this to an excellent degree

i make both stop-frame animation and home-made transfers ~ ciné to dv ~ so this filter is going to come in handy (i purchased), but will not obviate the need to synch projectors to dv cams - this filter is a belt & braces in that respect and i thoroughly endorse it, and congratulate the brains behind it: brilliant ;)

have purchased and used the MSU deflicker filter in the past, but i find the GB filter easier to use, and MSU tended to slightly 'bleach' the footage i applied it to - they are both excellent filters

thanks for staying with this one, Chuck :TU:

Ric
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:03 pm

Glad it all worked out Ric, this whole thing will be useful to others as well :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kr236rk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:13 pm

thanks Chuck - i sincerely hope so - am delighted the investment in PE3 paid off in terms of the plug-in ~ otherwise, i am warming to this edit software already :) all i'm waiting for now is the new video-import card and i should be ready for the latest project ;)

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/spec ... lea-vc100x

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:32 pm

I started with a WinFast capture card, wouldn't work for me however.
Ended up with a Pyro Link from ADS Tech, much easier and I can capture directly into Premiere Elements (couldn't with the WinFast card).
Hope that they have made improvements since then.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kr236rk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:38 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:I started with a WinFast capture card, wouldn't work for me however.
Ended up with a Pyro Link from ADS Tech, much easier and I can capture directly into Premiere Elements (couldn't with the WinFast card).
Hope that they have made improvements since then.

o gosh - hope i haven't got the wrong card :-8

already have a firewire pci but will the WinFast 'see' it?

learning curve - here we go again #-o

lol
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hi / capture cards

Postby kr236rk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:04 pm

update: is there a list of capture cards which are compatible with Adobe PE please? i can probably use the Leadtech for the RCA socket but a lot of firewire/capture cards seem to come with their own specific edit software, which of course i do not require

i do have a firewire pci unit but it is purely sockets - not a capture card - PE3 does not recognise a dv cam via this input

bests

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hi / capture card

Postby kr236rk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:17 pm

kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:23 pm

There is a list for Premiere Pro but it is very limited and the capture cards are very expensive (some are over $1000 USD), no list for Premiere Elements that I know of.

After much searching and testing I settled on the Pyro Link. The link you have above is for a Firewire card, that's all, not a capture device.
There are no PCI cards that I know of that interface with Premiere Elements, only digital converters. There are also converters by Canopus that are a little more expensive than the Pyro but provide more functionality.

You will not find anything that will work well, or easily, for under $140 USD. If you do find something that is easy and works well for less money please let us know.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:28 pm

i do have a firewire pci unit but it is purely sockets - not a capture card - PE3 does not recognise a dv cam via this input

Are you going to be capturing from an analog source (such as a vcr or a non-digital camcorder) or are you trying to simply capture from your digital video camcorder?

A capture card is for capturing analog input . You don't need a capture card for capturing digital video from a dv camcorder. The firewire card you have should be fine for that. The question is why isn't your camcorder being recognized. Can you capture from Windows Movie Maker?
Bob

Postby kr236rk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:48 pm

Bob wrote:

Are you going to be capturing from an analog source (such as a vcr or a non-digital camcorder) or are you trying to simply capture from your digital video camcorder?

A capture card is for capturing analog input . You don't need a capture card for capturing digital video from a dv camcorder. The firewire card you have should be fine for that. The question is why isn't your camcorder being recognized. Can you capture from Windows Movie Maker?

Thanks Chuck

And thanks Bob -

primarily want to capture from dv cam - used to run Pinnacle av/dv pci card which had firewire + rca inputs. have removed this. there is a 3 socket firewire card in the pc now

yes you're right - MMaker will not recognise the dv cam through the firewire ports either - it says there was an error in starting up the device - no idea what's wrong though: cam has always worked perfectly in the past?

bests

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:12 pm

it's a Texas Instruments firewire pci 'hub' - it isn't working and i don't appear to have a driver cd for it - i suspect i never needed one, XP recognising most hardware. no idea why it is not functioning - Device Manager says it is not working properly

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:21 pm

kr236rk wrote:it's a Texas Instruments firewire pci 'hub' - it isn't working and i don't appear to have a driver cd for it - i suspect i never needed one, XP recognising most hardware. no idea why it is not functioning - Device Manager says it is not working properly

it looks like this hub has stopped working - can i simply replace it and connect my dv cam through a new firewire pci please?
thanks

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions