They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hi, from Paz

A place to introduce and tell a little about yourself.

Hi, from Paz

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:15 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm in the early stages of creating "How to Paint in Watercolor" videos. If it all works out, there will be a complementary book and video shorts (for advertising) on YouTube and Vimeo as well.

Watercolor is a new media for me. I'll be learning how to control it, how to operate a video camcorder, and how to use video editing software all at the same time, so please wish me luck, and have patience with what will surely be some stoopid questions.

I can't remember not drawing, began selling my drawings to other kids in school about age 9, sold my first oil painting at age 16, and became a (freelance) professional artist and portrait painter around age 22 and continued for about 30 years, with a few other income producing jobs here and there along the way, including working in art gallery-frame shops, secretarial, assistant curator for education in a fine art museum, owning an art gallery-frame shop, teaching painting, etc.

Some serious health issues put an end to my career about 10 years ago. Meanwhile I've searched for something to occupy my mind. I thought about writing thrillers and read about 'how to write' and 'crime' and 'sociopaths' for a while. Didn't take too long to figure out I didn't want that kind of thing in my head. So I dabbled in screenwriting. Same problem as thrillers.

Then I went in the opposite direction and thought about childrens' books. I've created a group of animal characters which either live in my yard or are my pets. Their adventures are fun and non-threatening, something I think todays' children need more of. Anyway, I'M MUCH more comfortable with them than serial killers! I thought it would be a good idea to be able to create cartoons of these characters and have spent some time playing around with animation software. I unfortunately, I had the mistaken idea that animation software would remove most of the need to draw but have since learned that for every little movement, dozens of drawings are needed and I can't stress my right hand that much...

So, Mr. B made a wooden 'bridge' for me, which I'm resting my arm on while I paint and I've switched mediums from oils to watercolor and it is coming along.

Our son, who builds custom, classical guitars....see YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0yYHh9goI0

has encouraged me to make buy a camcorder and make "how to paint" videos for quite some time. I became interested in video when I bought a Canon 7D that has video capability, which is excellent quality, but with a 12 minute video record limit, had a few drawbacks, so I invested in a camcorder and I've been working through other problems, like figuring out how to set it up for optimal results. Having a tripod set up next to me, looking over my shoulder gave a distorted view, not to mention I had to always remember not to knock it over if I did anything, like move. I'm now trying out a setup with the camcorder suspended from the ceiling via monopod, plumbing pipe, and sliding drawer tracks. I think I'm almost there.

My ideas for my own childrens' characters are not completely off the table. If I can write the stores and create even small animations of the characters, that may grow over time, and once characters are fleshed out, the many drawings could be done by other illustrators. (Yes, I realize I'm dreaming big here) lol, Being able to record animals' movements is wonderful. I raised a couple of baby squirrels (we thought the next was empty when we cut down the tree to build a rose garden) and have some not very well shot Canon 7 D video footage of them. I have better footage of this year's squirrel babies with their mother. We also have deer, chipmunks, quail, a red fox and a silver fox, snakes, lizards, a fishpool, and used to have chickens and peafowl, and various dogs and cats whose personalities could be fun.

Oh, and my friends named me Paz,

Patrice
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Hi, from Paz

Postby Peru » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Welcome! :meet:

It sounds like you've always led a busy life. I'm sure that your projects will turn out well -- you seem confident.
Peru

Postby hpharley90 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Paz, love your story! Welcome to muvipix!! :welc:
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:52 pm

Welcome Paz, nice to read your story. I agree your idea's for children's stories sound a lot nicer than serial killers... reality today is pretty nasty, best to keep our kids away from it as long as possible, they grow up fast enough as it is.

Sounds like you are surrounded by a real menagerie of animals ... where do live?
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Welcome... you will soon become :adic:
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby momoffduty » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Welcome Pax to Muvipix and thanks for posting the introduction. It helps us to help you or other members if we know what skill level of editing and what are your purposes. Thanks for posting your artwork...very talented! Look forward to seeing your how to videos too.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Welcome! from someone who hasn't an artistic bone in his body. It sounds like you'll be as busy as you will ever want to be with your video-making plans. I think you'll find lots of willing help for the technical end here at Muvipix. :wcm:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:21 am

Great to have you aboard, Paz! You do really beautiful work!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:45 am

Who is the girl in the photo? She has a striking resemblance to one of our students we are hosting. That old saying that everyone has a twin must be true.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:07 pm

I think it was actually a painting Cheryl, but the image must have been removed :(

Hi Paz, Welcome to Muvipix. We are so happy to have you join our growing community :TU:
Where did the great painting go?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:21 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:I think it was actually a painting Cheryl, but the image must have been removed :(

Hi Paz, Welcome to Muvipix. We are so happy to have you join our growing community :TU:
Where did the great painting go?

Yes, I meant painting. A case of senioritis. And it is still appearing using Firefox.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:27 pm

momoffduty wrote:Yes, I meant painting. A case of senioritis. And it is still appearing using Firefox.

I'm using IE and I still see it too. Great talent! :)
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Figured out why I can't see it, the corporate firewall is blocking access to the server that the image is on.
I will be able to see it again when I get home :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:19 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I live out in the country, in a two acre wood, in the middle of Alabama (Southeastern USA), with thousands of acres of undeveloped woods behind me. We're in a thicket of privet which we've left bushy on the perimeter, so it is very private in our yard, and everything we can 'see' is ours. There is a fountainhead of a stream in the back that meanders through those thousands of acres and eventually deposits in the Alabama River, which is about a mile to the south of me. My immediate neighbors are mostly relatives. Our family settled in this part of the world in the early 1830s.

That said, city life encroaches more every day. There is a new subdivision of houses down the road on the other side and I expect more to come as time passes. Used to be if a tractor went down the road we would stop to watch it pass. Now the road seems like a racetrack and we hear sirens and ambulances much too often.

The watercolor portrait is of a cousin who lives down the road, closer to the river. She is a delightful young lady, recently graduated from college, cum laude, and married last winter.

My own level of video production is extremely limited. If I can put together videos as well as my son has done, I'll be happy!

thanks again, everyone,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi Paz,
I just wanted to take a moment and add my welcome to the many you have already received. I watched the video of your son making his guitar. That is a great craft to have. How did he learn to do this? It would seem like something of a lost art.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Introductions